Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes I'm ashamed to be Canadian...

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Sometimes I'm ashamed to be Canadian...

But here's the thing....American's don't give a fuck what the "world" thinks...if you all thought the same thing then would the war have ever happened to begin with?

Excuse me for just blowing your minds

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    But here's the thing....American's don't give a fuck what the "world" thinks...if you all thought the same thing then would the war have ever happened to begin with?

Excuse me for just blowing your minds
    What? That doesn't even make any sense...

Plenty of American's care what the rest of the world think, unfortunately there are a bunch of nationalistic morons who don't care (as there are in any country) who are in positions of power at the moment.

El Kabong Guest

Plenty of "Americans" (using the mocking finger quotes) like Susan Surandon and Rosie O'Donnell care about what everyone else thinks...but I am of the opinion if Americans don't respect/love/admire America then no one else is going to do it for them....so we have to work on us and everyone else is just going to have to take a fucking backseat whilst we get our shit together.

The war is beside the point here...it's not JUST the war America has problems with....this partisan crap hasn't gotten any better since W took office and it wouldn't have been any better if Gore or Kerry had won either....Congress' rating is worse than W's and no body (bar myself) is bitching about how fucked up the Democrats are....Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Clinton and all the other winged monkeys out there have done fuck all for America and they have had ample opportunities but THEY chose to grandstand.....people can accuse the GOP of grandstanding as well but hey look in the mirror they had a chance to stop funding on the war thereby securing it's end and they balked.......because like any politician these days, they don't have the stones to do anything about anything

El Kabong Guest

As for the "if all nations thought alike would there even be a war" it means ....if "The World" thought one way about everything then there wouldn't have been a war or any war...but see the nations of the world are different and that being the case why should America try to be the most favorite nation I thought all yall hated that side of America....you know, the "World Police"/"Nation Building"/"Defender of Nerd Nations getting bullied by the jock countries"

All the nations of the world know is that they want America to either help them achieve their goals OR leave them alone so they can help themselves.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I think I've used that title before...

One of the biggest news stories here in the last week or so is the controversy over the Hockey Night in Canada theme song. I'll pause a minute and let that sink in. People are up in arms that CBC, a public broadcaster funded with tax money, didn't shell out upwards of 3 million dollars to save the jingle. The song was then sold to TSN/CTV, who will use it on their hockey broadcasts, so it's not as if the song will disappear or be used in another capacity, but people are PISSED that it wasn't kept. It makes my head hurt.

Is England accepting immigrants? I already loathe the French and I swear I'll learn to love soccer football and warm beer.

Only sometimes?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Plenty of "Americans" (using the mocking finger quotes) like Susan Surandon and Rosie O'Donnell care about what everyone else thinks...but I am of the opinion if Americans don't respect/love/admire America then no one else is going to do it for them....so we have to work on us and everyone else is just going to have to take a fucking backseat whilst we get our shit together.

The war is beside the point here...it's not JUST the war America has problems with....this partisan crap hasn't gotten any better since W took office and it wouldn't have been any better if Gore or Kerry had won either....Congress' rating is worse than W's and no body (bar myself) is bitching about how fucked up the Democrats are....Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Clinton and all the other winged monkeys out there have done fuck all for America and they have had ample opportunities but THEY chose to grandstand.....people can accuse the GOP of grandstanding as well but hey look in the mirror they had a chance to stop funding on the war thereby securing it's end and they balked.......because like any politician these days, they don't have the stones to do anything about anything
    So because people have a different perspective from yours they are somehow less American than you? You can be patriotic while objecting to the actions of your government, you do understand that? As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what that has to do with anything else that we have been discussing. However, I do want to address something you said, if the Dems (or Reps) had blocked funding at any point during the war it would have been political suicide. They would've immediately been labeled as being against the troops because of the god awful, supporting the war=supporting the troops link that has been established because of the shame American's feel towards the way they treated returning Vietnam veterans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the biggest news stories here in the last week or so is the controversy over the Hockey Night in Canada theme song. I'll pause a minute and let that sink in. People are up in arms that CBC, a public broadcaster funded with tax money, didn't shell out upwards of 3 million dollars to save the jingle. The song was then sold to TSN/CTV, who will use it on their hockey broadcasts, so it's not as if the song will disappear or be used in another capacity, but people are PISSED that it wasn't kept. It makes my head hurt.

Is England accepting immigrants? I already loathe the French and I swear I'll learn to love soccer football and warm beer.
    One reason to be proud of being Canadian is 'Gordon Lightfoot'. That may be your only reason, but still...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post

One reason to be proud of being Canadian is 'Gordon Lightfoot'. That may be your only reason, but still...
    lol clubber. I bet you're jealous the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in front of my house, amirite?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for the "if all nations thought alike would there even be a war" it means ....if "The World" thought one way about everything then there wouldn't have been a war or any war...but see the nations of the world are different and that being the case why should America try to be the most favorite nation I thought all yall hated that side of America....you know, the "World Police"/"Nation Building"/"Defender of Nerd Nations getting bullied by the jock countries"

All the nations of the world know is that they want America to either help them achieve their goals OR leave them alone so they can help themselves.
    You're right. If Saddam Hussein has thought, "Gee, I guess I'll just step down from power, admit to possessing weapons I do not have, and hand over all my country's oil reserves to my enemy ...", war probably could've been averted.

It's not America people hate, it's imperialism in any of its forms, be economic, military, etc. People hated the French, British, German, and the rest of the imperial European countries when they did the same thing. How did you guys like it when the British were in charge of your country? You did exactly what the Iraqi's are doing.

America, by its very existence and power, all ready affects all of the other countries in the world, most often in a negative manner, so it's not as if the U.S. can just leave other countries alone as you say. That type of influence, hypothetically, comes along with a responsibility to ensure that it is wielded in the correct manner as opposed to a childish "I'm the strongest, so only I matter" mentality. It's immoral, but more important for you guys, it's unsustainable.

El Kabong Guest

So because people have a different perspective from yours they are somehow less American than you? You can be patriotic while objecting to the actions of your government, you do understand that? As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what that has to do with anything else that we have been discussing. However, I do want to address something you said, if the Dems (or Reps) had blocked funding at any point during the war it would have been political suicide. They would've immediately been labeled as being against the troops because of the god awful, supporting the war=supporting the troops link that has been established because of the shame American's feel towards the way they treated returning Vietnam veterans.
    Nope, it's a free world but riddle me this....when was the last time people such as Susan Surandon said "I am proud of America" or "America is a great nation"....and then why was it they were "proud"

I'm not saying they are un-American...I don't want to say that...if I wanted to say that I would say it....I'm saying they have more of a "Global" mindset and therefore don't have America's best intrests in mind.....ever

CFH get off it....we're there nothing I or you can say or do is going to remedy that anytime soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post

lol clubber. I bet you're jealous the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in front of my house, amirite?
    Lucky son of a biscuit on a stick.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is fair to say that most americans do not share Lyle's views and mentality. I know for sure the majority of them I have met don't. We have our share of agenda driven lying politicians here, just like the rest of the world. Thing is though, we aren't afraid to call them out on their bullshit. I thought that was our job seeing we put them there.

Most of the ones I have met are fairly decent people, and don't tend to clump everyone and everything into little agenda oriented boxes of 'right' and 'wrong', 'my way or the highway'.

I doubt many of them would say,."Stupid useless Canadians"...much like I wouldn't say, "Stupid useless Americans". And we generally can agree that there is more to good people, then their countries current political agenda and mission.

Try telling that to a sheep though. It will just sit there and chomp it's food and make goofy noises.

El Kabong Guest

Well everyone has their own opinion but I as an American have a view of my country that's different than you people from other countries...even a view different than some Americans. However, this doesn't make me wrong or you right...it just means we have different views of the way things are and the way they ought to be.....no reason to make assumptions that I am not a decent person because of my politics...I get along fine with plenty of people who are going to vote for Obama...I got along with everyone in France....I get along with people from other countries fine...I guess it comes across in a different way online, oh well.

Have your views....just allow me to have mine as well OR be up for debating.

I don't hate Canada......just Canadians....haha, only kidding

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I think it is fair to say that most americans do not share Lyle's views and mentality. I know for sure the majority of them I have met don't. We have our share of agenda driven lying politicians here, just like the rest of the world. Thing is though, we aren't afraid to call them out on their bullshit. I thought that was our job seeing we put them there.

Most of the ones I have met are fairly decent people, and don't tend to clump everyone and everything into little agenda oriented boxes of 'right' and 'wrong', 'my way or the highway'.

I doubt many of them would say,."Stupid useless Canadians"...much like I wouldn't say, "Stupid useless Americans". And we generally can agree that there is more to good people, then their countries current political agenda and mission.

Try telling that to a sheep though. It will just sit there and chomp it's food and make goofy noises.
    Some people are like that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well everyone has their own opinion but I as an American have a view of my country that's different than you people from other countries...even a view different than some Americans. However, this doesn't make me wrong or you right...it just means we have different views of the way things are and the way they ought to be.....no reason to make assumptions that I am not a decent person because of my politics...I get along fine with plenty of people who are going to vote for Obama...I got along with everyone in France....I get along with people from other countries fine...I guess it comes across in a different way online, oh well.

Have your views....just allow me to have mine as well OR be up for debating.

I don't hate Canada......just Canadians....haha, only kidding
    I agree, except for the people and the weather, Canada is a great place.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Thread Information