Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  327
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: This day in boxing. A look back.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

December 8 (continued)

1990 Mile Tyson vs Alex Stewart

1903 Sam Langford defeats Joe Gans, 15 rounds, Boston, non-title.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beanz is back!!! Welcome home.😉

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

December 9th 2006 - Danny Williams v Audley Harrison II

I remember Danny coming in at short notice and clearly wasn't in any shape, he was slouched on his stool before the fight began

real big mistake for him I think, signalled the beginning of the end, he'd been out of shape against skelton the fight before too

was a decent card all together tho, Kel Brook, Amir Khan, Wayne Alexandra, Nicky Cook, Paul Mclousky, Anthony Crolla, Denton Vassell

and I cant believe it was 10 years ago
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was Tyson's second comeback fight. Stewart recently died too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

12th December 2012 was a decent night of boxing

I watched the Groves v Johnson, Saunders v Blackwell card

there was also shaun porter v diaz and khan v Molina, which I definitely saw, must have been the day after though

Can we make this thread a Sticky?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2001, Holyfield v Ruiz and Ricky Hatton defended his WBU title

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    2001, Holyfield v Ruiz and Ricky Hatton defended his WBU title
    Ricky got tired of defending the title and wanted to face real champions. If Warren had his way Ricky would still be defending the title now.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thing is tho, while Ricky had that title, for a short while at least, the WBU were getting noticed

there were a few of those belts hanging around

obviously it was never a world title, but for a while they were threatening to be recognised

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    thing is tho, while Ricky had that title, for a short while at least, the WBU were getting noticed

there were a few of those belts hanging around

obviously it was never a world title, but for a while they were threatening to be recognised
    Lucky Ricky took the real challenge of Kostya et al and left a legacy.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson v Mathis was Tyson's second fight back from coming out of prison.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From boxing news online - On This Day: Season's beatings courtesy of Harry Greb - Boxing News IT’s fair to say the ‘Pittsburgh Windmill’ Harry Greb and the ‘Philly Phantom’ Tommy Loughran, were not unknown to one another. Their paths crossed six times, initially in the summer 1922 until their last fight in the autumn of 1924.

Greg was Loughran’s master four times, they drew once and Tommy got the nod in their fourth battle in October 1923.
    But it was in their fifth fight, just two months later, that they squared off on Christmas Day.

Sandwiched in between these two fights, Loughran outpointed two of Britain’s most notable middleweights of the day in Ted Moore and Roland Todd respectively.
    While the prolific Greb – now middleweight champion of the world – had beaten, in non-title fights, Lou Bogash, Soldier Jones, Chuck Wiggins and defended his crown against Bryan Downey, before losing – what Boxing News called a fortunate decision – to his fiercest and biggest rival in future heavyweight champion Gene Tunney.
    That was the third of Greb’s three-fight series with Tunney, by the way.
    So, at just 21 years old, Tommy Loughran had size and youth on his size, but heading to Pittsburgh’s Motor Square Garden to face the middleweight king was like fighting the devil in hell.
    As was the case in those days, the report from the fight didn’t filter through to print for a few weeks and eventually appeared in our January 23 issue of 1924.

Swirling from his corner like a Kansas twister, at the start of every round, Harry Greb, the Pittsburgher who holds the middleweight championship of the world, gave Tommy Loughran a bad beating on Christmas Day, in a ten-round decision fight in the light-heavyweight class.
    Greb got the decision and there was no question that it belonged to him. It was Greb’s second appearance in his home town since the new Pennsylvania boxing law became effective permitting decisions.
    In the later rounds of the fight Loughran became weary, discouraged and bewildered. He refused to fight back and busied himself trying to brush away the clawing rushes of Greb.
    Greg and Loughran have fought several times. In the previous bouts Loughran usually made some effort to outfight Greb, but this time he was boxing defensively and making a poor defence at that.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on peeps we need to all chip in to maintain this thread.

"CUS D’AMATO, the trainer and guru whose master-work was Mike Tyson, had his own much-quoted theory about fear. Control and use it, he taught, and it will become a weapon with which to beat your opponent, but let it get out of control and it will destroy you like a forest fire.

That, I suspect, is what happened in Frank Bruno’s mind on that Saturday night (March 16, 1996) in the hours and minutes before he left his dressing room at the MGM Grand Garden to face the most terrifying and intimidating opponent since Sonny Liston.
    Bruno, making his first defence of the WBC heavyweight title, had talked a great fight during the build-up to this hugely-important match which drew a capacity crowd in the 16,000-seat arena and millions more on pay-per-view in America and Britain. But when the time came for him to leave the sanctuary of his changing room and make the long walk into the arena, he did so with the air of a man trudging towards the electric chair.
    That is not said lightly, or with a view towards disparaging the immensely likeable and brave Bruno. All fighters, even Tyson, feel fear, and the man who says he doesn’t is a liar. Tyson, famously, was once filmed in tears before an amateur match, with his then-trainer Teddy Atlas having to comfort him and stiffen his resolve. No doubt Tyson, too, had his secret fears about Saturday’s rematch with a man who had hurt and dazed him when they first met seven years ago, but as he has repeatedly and regrettably demonstrated to his cost, he is a naturally violent and abusive man who, paradoxically, feels safest and most at home in the ring, in the only environment in which he is in absolute control of his own destiny.
    He turned his fear into a weapon of destruction, using it to fuel the thrilling aggression which carried him to a decisive and dramatic victory in the third, but Bruno (17st 9lbs) allowed himself to be consumed by it. I have rarely seen a man more uneasy about his immediate future, or with less confidence in his own ability to determine it. The inner doubts showed in his face and in his body language and demeanour, which had none of the focused and frightening intensity of Tyson’s.
    The fight meant everything to the disgraced and now rehabilitated former champion; it was what had occupied his dreams during the long months and years in jail, and the strength of his emotions showed in the unusually demonstrative nature of his reaction in the minutes after referee Mills Lane had rescued the beaten Bruno 50 seconds into the round.
    Tyson (15st 10lbs) spread his arms wide with an expression of unrestrained joy and exultation, before sinking to his knees in the middle of the ring. He then walked across to the beaten and disconsolate loser, kissed him and rubbed his head in a comforting gesture while speaking quietly to him. But as he left the ring, he stopped on the ring apron and yelled in exultation, pointing to the WBC belt around his waist.
    It was almost primeval, reminding me of nothing so much as a gorilla beating his chest and bellowing its supremacy in the herd. It was a rare and out-of-character display by a man whose emotions are normally locked away behind an expressionless mask, and it showed how much the victory had meant to him. He had shared Bruno’s doubts and apprehension, but now he felt unbounded relief where Bruno knew only despair....."

the rest here - http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/on-this-day-mike-tyson-ends-the-career-of-frank-bruno-in-las-vegas/

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson was a shell of the fighter before he went to prison but he had the style to beat Frank no matter how shot he was. That night he looked spectacular.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maquez - Barrera - 17/03/2007

Hidden Content

Thread Information