Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool Boxing career at 21

Hey guys,
    I need help with trying to become a pro boxer.
    Height: 5'5
    Weight : 137lbs
    1. How do I find a good gym? I stay in fayetteville, nc
    2.weight class too start at?
    3.website to but boxing equipment
    4. How to Making boxing a lifestyle? Im serious about trying too become a pro boxer.
    5. Any routines I can do at the house without any weight well have 2 pounds lol,
    In I think im going too be a good inside boxer or a defensive boxer, what style is best for what I have told you,
    Last edited by PBC1989; 05-16-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing career at 21

You're talking about sprinting before you even know how to crawl.

Find a gym, get good enough to spar... see if you'd even be good enough to compete as an amatuer... get a few fights under your belt and only then should you even be thinking about boxing as a career.

And nobody can tell you what style suits you best based off of a forum post.

If you want to find a good gym I'd suggest going to some local boxing shows/tornaments and seeing which gyms are doing best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How do I find local tourneys? In im just trying to get info on what I need to do. I know im not just going to become a great boxer. I just want to be pointed in the right way thats it...without cutting corners

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You'll have your questions answered when you step into a boxing gym. They'll tell you what you need to bring, your goals, and what you can work on. You won't know until you go. It'll be an eye-opener for sure. In the meantime find out where some gyms are, try boxinghelp.com, boxinggyms.com, and even googlemaps can help.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Z Train can get a license, you can be World Champion mate.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PBC1989 View Post
    Hey guys,
    4. How to Making boxing a lifestyle? Im serious about trying too become a pro boxer.
    5. Any routines I can do at the house without any weight well have 2 pounds lol,
    In I think im going too be a good inside boxer or a defensive boxer, what style is best for what I have told you,
    Contrary to what it might have SOUNDED like others were writing, it is perfectly fine to have a goal to become a pro boxer. Having a dream and a goal will help you sacrifice to do the necessary training (and to listen to your coaches etc).

You can buy most boxing gear off Amazon cheaper than anywhere else. Or maybe eBay. BUT watch out for junk (at junk prices) and be sure to ask here or visit the manufacturer web sites to get the specs etc. Title, Everlast, and a bunch of others.

You maybe not need anything at first if you find a good gym. My gym has gloves (they're crappy and almost worn out but fine to start) and hand wraps -- plus all the gear for (later when you get to) sparring (better gloves, headgear, nofoul protector.)

Some don't have hand wraps -- get the 180" length (don't get the short 120") -- they are good to buy first because they are cheap and you won't have to wear someone else's (dried) sweat. They're probably near $10 (maybe a little more or less).

Shoes are good to buy early but most gyms will let you start in sneakers for everything EXCEPT getting into the ring. At my gym the beginners without shoes get into the ring in sock feet. $30 (tax and shipping included) is about the cheapest boxing/wrestling show. You can spend a lot more if you really know you will get benefit from them.

Usable gloves start at $30 (I have the cheapo Everlast without real leather), and most pay between $50-80 but they go way up from there. Wait until you know what you like before buying an inexpensive pair because they wear out under heavy use. That's why I bought cheap gloves; I am going to wear out this pair and then (probably) buy something better.

Fight at you natural weight for amateurs -- or wherever you coach suggests. IF you get to the top levels and want to go pro you can consider the best weight class as part of your strategy but you will know more then and will have developed whatever your boxing "body" will be (for a while.)

Making it a lifestyle means going to practice practically every day. Getting on your diet and staying on your diet (good nutritious foods that promote your strength, endurance, and recover -- e.g., no more junk food etc); giving up most drinking (almost all), and giving up cigarettes and drugs if you indulge now. Doing the road work. Putting in the time. Watching fights (cable and satellite are great sources; or the Internet).

Body weight exercises CAN be enough for boxing -- a good gym when you find one probably will have some sort of weight room. Mine does. It's not a full "health club" or full "weight lifting gym", but there are enough benches, weights, power rack, squat rack, dumbbells, belts, etc to do a good job.

There are other threads here on the forum about 'picking a good gym' -- read those. Main thing is you want a BOXING GYM, not a health club that has SOME boxing. You want to find real coaches that will work with you; real boxers that are competing in amateur and maybe pro fights -- in general people who are serious about it like you.

A good gym will have regular LESSONS, not just exercise sessions -- yeah, they will include SERIOUS exercise sessions too, but you will be taught to stand, to punch, to move, to defend, to counter etc -- LONG BEFORE you get to spare. (Unlike the movies a boxing coach will NOT let you spar until you have some or a lot of the basics and you should NOT see people getting "beat up" sparring -- sparring is about LEARNING to put together the instruction you are receiving. It's a learning exercise NOT a fight. Of course part of its value is that you are doing this in conditions relatively CLOSE to a real fight.)

You will get plenty of routines at a good boxing gym -- and really smart boxers and coaches (I am not one of those guys, just a beginner myself) have posted many here on this site.

You cannot pick a style intelligently (nor can a coach do it for you) UNTIL you have MASTERED the BASICS. Boxing it different from what anyone THINKS it is before actually doing it. When you have the basics you will begin to be ready to try out the different styles during sparring and eventually in amateur bouts. Try them ALL, especially the ones you do NOT like, at the beginning. Learn to do them ALL at a basic level and see which ones fit you AFTER you have the necessary prerequisite basics. Doing it the other way around will allow (cause) you to only work on those things you like or think you are good at, and you will definitely miss skills that will serve you if you only learn them first.

Finding amateur fights is EASY IF you find a good gym. One test of a good gym is do the people who train there compete? Ask the owner/trainers before you sign up. If the trainer has people who compete he will know when, where, etc and be able to get you ready -- usually THAT trainer is also going to be in your corner at the amateur matches anyway.

Back to styles: To be a PRO fighter, you should be really good at ALL styles as an amateur (or as close to it as you can) -- you FIGHT your strengths and TRAIN your weaknesses.

The smart fighter is always figuring out what he does the worst (at this current level of development) and TRAINING THAT SKILL up. In a real fight you use the BEST of what YOU CAN do that will DEFEAT the skills of the boxer trying to beat you.

My guess is that being near Ft. Bragg, there are at least a couple of decent boxing gyms in the Fayetteville area.

Chris is correct, you will get your questions answered IF you find a real boxing gym. A gym without coaches and trainers who can tell you this stuff probably isn't worth attending UNLESS there is nothing else available, i.e., until you can find a real gym.

The folks here are really good about helping with specific questions as you get started too....

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by HerbM View Post
    Hey guys,
    Contrary to what it might have SOUNDED like others were writing, it is perfectly fine to have a goal to become a pro boxer. Having a dream and a goal will help you sacrifice to do the necessary training (and to listen to your coaches etc).

You can buy most boxing gear off Amazon cheaper than anywhere else. Or maybe eBay. BUT watch out for junk (at junk prices) and be sure to ask here or visit the manufacturer web sites to get the specs etc. Title, Everlast, and a bunch of others.

You maybe not need anything at first if you find a good gym. My gym has gloves (they're crappy and almost worn out but fine to start) and hand wraps -- plus all the gear for (later when you get to) sparring (better gloves, headgear, nofoul protector.)

Some don't have hand wraps -- get the 180" length (don't get the short 120") -- they are good to buy first because they are cheap and you won't have to wear someone else's (dried) sweat. They're probably near $10 (maybe a little more or less).

Shoes are good to buy early but most gyms will let you start in sneakers for everything EXCEPT getting into the ring. At my gym the beginners without shoes get into the ring in sock feet. $30 (tax and shipping included) is about the cheapest boxing/wrestling show. You can spend a lot more if you really know you will get benefit from them.

Usable gloves start at $30 (I have the cheapo Everlast without real leather), and most pay between $50-80 but they go way up from there. Wait until you know what you like before buying an inexpensive pair because they wear out under heavy use. That's why I bought cheap gloves; I am going to wear out this pair and then (probably) buy something better.

Fight at you natural weight for amateurs -- or wherever you coach suggests. IF you get to the top levels and want to go pro you can consider the best weight class as part of your strategy but you will know more then and will have developed whatever your boxing "body" will be (for a while.)

Making it a lifestyle means going to practice practically every day. Getting on your diet and staying on your diet (good nutritious foods that promote your strength, endurance, and recover -- e.g., no more junk food etc); giving up most drinking (almost all), and giving up cigarettes and drugs if you indulge now. Doing the road work. Putting in the time. Watching fights (cable and satellite are great sources; or the Internet).

Body weight exercises CAN be enough for boxing -- a good gym when you find one probably will have some sort of weight room. Mine does. It's not a full "health club" or full "weight lifting gym", but there are enough benches, weights, power rack, squat rack, dumbbells, belts, etc to do a good job.

There are other threads here on the forum about 'picking a good gym' -- read those. Main thing is you want a BOXING GYM, not a health club that has SOME boxing. You want to find real coaches that will work with you; real boxers that are competing in amateur and maybe pro fights -- in general people who are serious about it like you.

A good gym will have regular LESSONS, not just exercise sessions -- yeah, they will include SERIOUS exercise sessions too, but you will be taught to stand, to punch, to move, to defend, to counter etc -- LONG BEFORE you get to spare. (Unlike the movies a boxing coach will NOT let you spar until you have some or a lot of the basics and you should NOT see people getting "beat up" sparring -- sparring is about LEARNING to put together the instruction you are receiving. It's a learning exercise NOT a fight. Of course part of its value is that you are doing this in conditions relatively CLOSE to a real fight.)

You will get plenty of routines at a good boxing gym -- and really smart boxers and coaches (I am not one of those guys, just a beginner myself) have posted many here on this site.

You cannot pick a style intelligently (nor can a coach do it for you) UNTIL you have MASTERED the BASICS. Boxing it different from what anyone THINKS it is before actually doing it. When you have the basics you will begin to be ready to try out the different styles during sparring and eventually in amateur bouts. Try them ALL, especially the ones you do NOT like, at the beginning. Learn to do them ALL at a basic level and see which ones fit you AFTER you have the necessary prerequisite basics. Doing it the other way around will allow (cause) you to only work on those things you like or think you are good at, and you will definitely miss skills that will serve you if you only learn them first.

Finding amateur fights is EASY IF you find a good gym. One test of a good gym is do the people who train there compete? Ask the owner/trainers before you sign up. If the trainer has people who compete he will know when, where, etc and be able to get you ready -- usually THAT trainer is also going to be in your corner at the amateur matches anyway.

Back to styles: To be a PRO fighter, you should be really good at ALL styles as an amateur (or as close to it as you can) -- you FIGHT your strengths and TRAIN your weaknesses.

The smart fighter is always figuring out what he does the worst (at this current level of development) and TRAINING THAT SKILL up. In a real fight you use the BEST of what YOU CAN do that will DEFEAT the skills of the boxer trying to beat you.

My guess is that being near Ft. Bragg, there are at least a couple of decent boxing gyms in the Fayetteville area.

Chris is correct, you will get your questions answered IF you find a real boxing gym. A gym without coaches and trainers who can tell you this stuff probably isn't worth attending UNLESS there is nothing else available, i.e., until you can find a real gym.

The folks here are really good about helping with specific questions as you get started too....

--
    HerbM
    Best info there giving to you but like people say you willg et your anwsers in a boxing gym At pro though Your Weight n hight your more likley be suited At FeatherWeight/Superfeatherweight Am 5.71/2 im getting down to 130 pounds to fight at SFW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks that really help me, do yall pay $ 150 for a gym, thats every month

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks that really help me, do yall pay $ 150 for a gym, thats every month
    Unless you are either in Manhattan (some similar big city) or are getting a LOT of attention from a private (or near private) trainer, or the coach is a known producer of champions (etc) that sounds like a lot to me.

I pay US $55 (about $59 with tax) per month -- for 6 days per week.

There are actual classes at noon Mon-Wed-Fri-Sat. Evening classes Mon through Thu (two evening classes on Mon & Wed evenings).

Sparring is separate (but no extra cost) from the classes ONCE Coach lets you spar. Sparing is on Tue or Thu evenings usually -- instead of the second evening class.

There's are both men's an women's showers and free towels plus most of the gear you need -- except shoes but those you can wait to buy those as I indicated above.

The 'class' gloves are pretty worn, but the sparring gloves are in good shape.

There are a few pro's (about 3-4 regulars); maybe a dozen serious amateurs; and most of the rest are people who want to either just know how to box or want to get in shape.

Coach takes both the amateurs and the pro's to matches and works the corner. I assume he takes a few buck for expenses from the pro's but doubt he ever wants anything (maybe gas money?) for helping the amateurs. (I really don't know about this though.)

My boxing gym is cheaper than any other combat arts in town (Austin, TX), has more classes/days than almost any other MA; and includes more gear (bags, ring, gloves, hand wraps, sparring gear, weights) and amenities (showers, towels). Also the out little weight gym has 2 seated bikes, 2 treadmills, a stair stepper, and 2 stationary bikes.

We work. I am learning to box and feel good about my progress six months in.

(I will likely never be a competitor since I am 57 years old and haven't been able to figure out how to get a medical waiver for "Masters" competition.)

Our workout is posted in one of the other recent threads about "good gyms".

--
    HerbM
    Last edited by HerbM; 05-18-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey guys,
    Height: 5'5
    Weight : 137lbs
    can you go down to 126?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea I can get to 126. I asked the guy why is it so much he said they teach western boxing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea I can get to 126. I asked the guy why is it so much he said they teach western boxing.
    That's the reason that he gave you? What kind of gym is it, fitness/boxercise, amateur, professional gym? Is there a lot of other equipment there besides punching bags and a boxing ring?

Anyway, the fees that I was paying was $30/month, not counting registering through USA Boxing. I wouldn't mind paying double of what I was paying, I wouldn't want to pay a lot more than that unless the trainers, instruction and sparring is excellent. Saying that they charge more because they teach 'western boxing' doesn't say anything at all.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can look at the site anglegym.com, in they teach kick boxing, in mma, dont think we have just a boxing gym I stay in fayetteville, nc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    That's the reason that he gave you? What kind of gym is it, fitness/boxercise, amateur, professional gym? Is there a lot of other equipment there besides punching bags and a boxing ring?

Anyway, the fees that I was paying was $30/month, not counting registering through USA Boxing. I wouldn't mind paying double of what I was paying, I wouldn't want to pay a lot more than that unless the trainers, instruction and sparring is excellent. Saying that they charge more because they teach 'western boxing' doesn't say anything at all.
    I am with Chris -- while $30 is incredibly inexpensive (or would be here in the States), $50 to $75 is pretty good, and I wouldn't want to pay more than $100 unless there was something really special (lot of personal time, well-known trainer who makes champions or something.)
    Last edited by HerbM; 05-19-2010 at 05:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea I know its crazy,

Thread Information