Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manny might fight Cotto before the winner of July 18th!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Manny might fight Cotto before the winner of July 18th!

Notebook: Ward taking a step up - Boxing - ESPN

its on the side

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com that pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, who destroyed Ricky Hatton in two rounds to win the junior welterweight championship May 2, will fight again in October. "But we don't know against who," Arum said. "We're sorting through opponents." Arum said Pacquiao will be ringside in New York on June 13 to scout welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto, one of Arum's other stars, against Joshua Clottey. If Cotto wins, Arum said he'll try to match Pacquiao and Cotto, although he also said Shane Mosley was a possibility. One fight Arum said won't happen this year is Pacquiao against the winner of the July 18 Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez match. "Definitely not this year," he said. "Manny will fight in the fall and then we'd look to do that fight in the first part of 2010." Besides attending Cotto-Clottey, Pacquiao (and trainer Freddie Roach) will attend the annual Boxing Writers Association of America awards dinner June 12 in New York to pick up their 2008 fighter and trainer of the year awards. The day after the fight, Arum, a Hall of Famer, said he'd like to fly Pacquiao with him to Canastota, N.Y., to attend the annual International Hall of Fame inductions.

Holy shit I guess we may just find out if I am right in thinking that Pacquiao can handle Cotto's size and skill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manny might fight Cotto before the winner of July 18th!

I hope that fight happens first, if Manny fought Maywether first and won I dont think Manny would fight Cotto. I dont think he'll ever fight Shane regardless but Cotto is a great match up...I hope he destroys Cotto too
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really see Cotto brutalisng Pac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a good match up for Arum, if Pac loses Cotto will have elevated himself back to the top, if he gets past Clottey as well of course. Bit of a risk for Pac though, considering how much he could make with PBF.

Pac will be able to outspeed him all night with enough power to keep Cotto honest. However, wedidn't know how well he can take a huge shot at 140+ before last week, and we still don't now. Cotto has a crippling left hook, and has enough defens and ring smarts to last long enough to test Pac out in that department.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope he destroys Cotto too
    If he does, I would make a petition to Saddo to bring DannyG back and see what he has to say about the fight.

I really see Cotto brutalisng Pac
    I really don't know who I want to see lose between Pac, Mayweather, and Cotto. If Cotto faced Pac, I would be more inclined to root for Cotto. Just imagine how hardcore PacFanBoys would get if Pac beat Cotto *groan*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would much rather see Mayweather Pacquiao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't understand what is going on the boxing world. This makes absolutely no sense whatsover.

Cotto (who happens to me fav fighter) should NOT be fighting the much smaller Pacman. I think Cotto would DESTROY Pac (and I'm a huge fan of Pacman as well) within 6 rounds. He will outweigh Pac (at fight night) by at least 15lbs.

WTH will be the next fight possibility for Pacman Dawson? Pavlik? I know Money talks but to have top contenders in one division fight top contenders that are 2-3 weight class ABOVE their weight class simply because it 'MAKES MONEY' ala PBF is ridiculous.

As a boxing fan, I would like to see Pac fight JMM and PBF to fight the likes of Cotto/Mosley. If you want to deviate from your weight class, then it should be realistic but to have a 135lb like Pac fight a very solid 147lb in Cotto (who comes in at 160lb easy) is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe Cotto would be too strong but I think Manny could be a bit of a nightmare for Cotto.

Quick feet versus fairly slow feet, darting in and out, punches from awkward angles, could especially see the right hook giving Cotto problems.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha, could you imagine if Manny actually fought Cotto and PBF back to back, pure insanity.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Haha, could you imagine if Manny actually fought Cotto and PBF back to back, pure insanity.
    If he did and he won, I'd put him above SRR

But seriously, I would put my house on Cotto beating Pac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe Cotto would be too strong but I think Manny could be a bit of a nightmare for Cotto.

Quick feet versus fairly slow feet, darting in and out, punches from awkward angles, could especially see the right hook giving Cotto problems.
    I really don't think Manny would be able to connect the right hook on Cotto as many may think. Cotto keeps his hands like earmuffs...from what I've seen, his weakspot is the uppercut and that is again, because he keeps his hands up like earmuffs. I don't recall Manny being known for his uppercut but then again, no one really knew much about his right hook until after the Hatton fight. Regardless...I think Cotto will be too big/too strong and yes, contrary to what others might say, Cotto is quite fast as well.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto's got pretty good defense for a fighter that pressures a lot like you say but he could get tagged with the right while he's throwing punches, especially considering Manny's so fast.

Look at the first knockdown in the Hatton fight, Hatton starts his left hook before Manny started the right hook. Granted I'm not sure that's a good example cause Cotto doesn't cock his like Hatton does but its doesn't change the fact that I think could still be caught between shots.

Unless I'm mistaken didn't Corley hurt Cotto with a right hook coming in?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    If he did and he won, I'd put him above SRR

But seriously, I would put my house on Cotto beating Pac
    Its madness, still I give Manny a better shot against Cotto than some guys around that weight.

Prime example, how silly would a Paul Williams-Manny Pacquaio fight look

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First off it's by no means a given that Cotto will beat Clottey imo, that should be a war although I do favour Cotto.. But regardless Im inclined to think this is just a bargaining chip for Arum to make negotiations run more smoothly with Floyd. The Mayweather fight will bring in way more cash for all parties involved, it's way to big not to happen at this point and Cotto is far to risky a fight to put Manny in with beforehand. To say he'll fight Floyd after he beats Cotto is just gobshite from a promotional standpoint imo. Although I do for some reason see Manny beating Cotto something fierce, it's still not worth risking the showdown with Floyd.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sanchez had a good first post.

I just can't believe Pacquiao may fight Cotto before PBF. How ridiculous is that? We discussed Cotto v. PBF in what, 2006, and PBF still hasn't fought him.

The size differences between Cotto/PBF and Pacquiao is great. Cotto and PBF would have to agree to fight at or around 140, but even then, the size disparity would be significant.

Cotto needs to get past Clottey first who is upset-minded. In fact, as of now, I'm not convinced Cotto is back from his crushing defeat at the hands (or bricks) of Margarito - coupled with the problems with his Uncle, indeed, Clottey may have picked the perfect time for an upset.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 05-15-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Thread Information