Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default One More Question

Can you guys answer me one more question? Let's assume Pacquiao (as he should have) decided to take the tests demanded by Floyd, would that have convinced you that Manny never had been on steroids in the past? Is there anything that would convince you Manny didn't take drugs in the past?

See me personally, I don't think so unless Manny whupped Floyd after passing all of Floyd's tests, but even then that could be attributed to Manny just being better. The truth is there is no way absent admission by the fighter himself or proof by the supplier that a fighter took roids in the past. There just isn't. If he had taken the tests, the motivation behind it could have just been the coin. 20M is enough money to convince me, especially if I was brought up dirt poor in a third-world country, to fight Mike Tyson in his prime. I'd be clean for one fight for 20M, take that to the bank. I may have juiced my whole way up, but for 20M, I'd be clean for three months, believe that.

That is one reason why this whole thing is odd to me. Why not just stay clean for one fight, make the most cheddar you've ever seen, and go back to juicing if that is what you were doing? What would one clean fight prove? It can't be pride in winning because you've already lost and even if you lose, your fans can rightfully or wrongly chalk it up to the fact Floyd is a bigger man. Not to mention, we all know Floyd isn't knocking you out so you won't be damaged goods, you can land one or two more big fights and make another 10M - 15M. Actually, in loss it may even be easier to land more big fights because you don't seem as invincible anymore.

As an aside, the funny thing about all of this to me is that prior to the juicing allegations, I thought Manny was fighting an uphill battle anyway; Floyd would win and win by a wide UD. Wins over ODLH, Hatton, and Cotto didn't do enough to convince me that Manny would be able to find a way to get inside Floyd's reach. In fact, given the hype surrounding Manny after his win over Cotto, I thought the odds were too good to pass up, and even though I'm not a betting man per se, I was planning to lay down a large wad of cash of Floyd. I thought Manny hadn't faced a slick fighter like Floyd before and it would lead to his fall from grace. I'm pretty sure many of you felt the same way. This is all before the Roids allegations.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 01-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: One More Question

Great post. Even with ridicilous testing many pundits are stil sticking an asterisk next to Bolt as his accomplishments seem so unbelievable.

U raise a fine point about Mayweather, beetween the Cotto beating and the allegations he was very dismissive of Pac's chances so why would he give a shit.

Personally I dont give a crap if he's juicing or not as the regulations simply aren't there in the sport to stop it, and the sad fact is that it's very likely that a large majority of top boxers are on stuff. So you can either sit back and enjoy the sport or accept that NO boxer can be above suspicionl, regardless of how nice and charitable they seem outside the ring.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't trying to back either fighter in the post just to be clear.

One more thing, prior to the juicing allegations, Pacquiao was the underdog. Meaning, even on juice, most people and bookies thought he would lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Can you guys answer me one more question? Let's assume Pacquiao (as he should have) decided to take the tests demanded by Floyd, would that have convinced you that Manny never had been on steroids in the past? Is there anything that would convince you Manny didn't take drugs in the past?

See me personally, I don't think so unless Manny whupped Floyd after passing all of Floyd's tests, but even then that could be attributed to Manny just being better. The truth is there is no way absent admission by the fighter himself or proof by the supplier that a fighter took roids in the past. There just isn't. If he had taken the tests, the motivation behind it could have just been the coin. 20M is enough money to convince me, especially if I was brought up dirt poor in a third-world country, to fight Mike Tyson in his prime. I'd be clean for one fight for 20M, take that to the bank. I may have juiced my whole way up, but for 20M, I'd be clean for three months, believe that.

That is one reason why this whole thing is odd to me. Why not just stay clean for one fight, make the most cheddar you've ever seen, and go back to juicing if that is what you were doing? What would one clean fight prove? It can't be pride in winning because you've already lost and even if you lose, your fans can rightfully or wrongly chalk it up to the fact Floyd is a bigger man. Not to mention, we all know Floyd isn't knocking you out so you won't be damaged goods, you can land one or two more big fights and make another 10M - 15M. Actually, in loss it may even be easier to land more big fights because you don't seem as invincible anymore.

As an aside, the funny thing about all of this to me is that prior to the juicing allegations, I thought Manny was fighting an uphill battle anyway; Floyd would win and win by a wide UD. Wins over ODLH, Hatton, and Cotto didn't do enough to convince me that Manny would be able to find a way to get inside Floyd's reach. In fact, given the hype surrounding Manny after his win over Cotto, I thought the odds were too good to pass up, and even though I'm not a betting man per se, I was planning to lay down a large wad of cash of Floyd. I thought Manny hadn't faced a slick fighter like Floyd before and it would lead to his fall from grace. I'm pretty sure many of you felt the same way. This is all before the Roids allegations.
    Firstly, the first highlighted statement applies to any fighter that has never tested positive for PEDS.

The second highlighted question answers itself for me. Of course he could stay clean and take the money on offer, and that says everything. It's not about the money. PED's will not have a massive bearing on how this fight goes anyway. The bottom line is it will be down to each respective fighters talents. PED's would only ever give you a slight advantage, natural talent, strategy and skill-set make up 95% of this puglistic argument. Again, Manny wants to be the man, and Mayweather wants to be the man. As far as I'm concerned, each fighters ego is as responsible for this mess as each others.

Floyd had no real reason to bring this up in the first place. If he is as good as he thinks he is, and I think he is, then he beats Manny, on PEDS or not. Instead Floyd, with no evidence has tarnished a great fighters reputation, and thrown the sport of boxing under a spotlight it really shouldnt be occupying. Floyds actions tell me he is jealous and wary of Manny. I agree with Manny's stance in a way, Floyd has decided that he is the almighty judge and jury on this debacle. For him to decide that the rules of the sport need changing to suit him is plain wrong. He isnt bigger than the sport, as much as he may thinks he is.

Either way, should this fight happen, I think I'll still be rooting for Floyd.
    Last edited by Jimmy G-Force; 01-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G-Force View Post

Firstly, the first highlighted statement applies to any fighter that has never tested positive for PEDS.

The second highlighted question answers itself for me. Of course he could stay clean and take the money on offer, and that says everything. It's not about the money. PED's will not have a massive bearing on how this fight goes anyway. The bottom line is it will be down to each respective fighters talents. PED's would only ever give you a slight advantage, natural talent, strategy and skill-set make up 95% of this puglistic argument. Again, Manny wants to be the man, and Mayweather wants to be the man. As far as I'm concerned, both fighters ego's are as repsonsible for this mess as each others.

Floyd had no real reason to bring this up in the first place. If he is as good as he thinks he is, then he beats Manny on PEDS on not. Instead Floyd, with no evidence has tarnished a great fighters reputation, and thrown the sport of boxing under a spotlight it really shouldnt be occupying. Floyds actions tell's me he is jealous and wary of Manny. I agree with Manny's stance in a way, Floyd has decided that he is the almighty judge and jury on this debacle. For him to decide that the rules of the sport need changing to suit him is plain wrong.

But, even if you test clean, it doesn't prove or disprove what has happened in the past. The only way to know someone never juiced was if they were always tested in the way Floyd demanded. And because of Floyd's allegations, even if Manny tested clean, won't there always be doubt by some people?

What you're saying is that if it is not about the money and not about the pride of not losing and not about legacy or career (because one test doesn't clear your name), it must be about ego?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 01-12-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The second highlighted question answers itself for me. Of course he could stay clean and take the money on offer, and that says everything. It's not about the money. PED's will not have a massive bearing on how this fight goes anyway. The bottom line is it will be down to each respective fighters talents. PED's would only ever give you a slight advantage, natural talent, strategy and skill-set make up 95% of this puglistic argument. Again, Manny wants to be the man, and Mayweather wants to be the man. As far as I'm concerned, both fighters ego's are as repsonsible for this mess as each others.

Floyd had no real reason to bring this up in the first place. If he is as good as he thinks he is, then he beats Manny on PEDS on not. Instead Floyd, with no evidence has tarnished a great fighters reputation, and thrown the sport of boxing under a spotlight it really shouldnt be occupying. Floyds actions tell's me he is jealous and wary of Manny. I agree with Manny's stance in a way, Floyd has decided that he is the almighty judge and jury on this debacle. For him to decide that the rules of the sport need changing to suit him is plain wrong.

But, even if you test clean, it doesn't prove or disprove what has happened in the past. The only way to know someone never juiced was if they were always tested in the way Floyd demanded. And because of Floyd's allegations, even if Manny tested clean, won't there always be doubt by some people?

What you're saying is that if it is not about the money and not about the pride, it must be about ego? Makes sense.
    Yeah definatley, and that is so wrong for Floyd to create that doubt without any evidence. It's criminal at best.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What you're saying is that if it is not about the money and not about the pride, it must be about ego? Makes sense.
    Yeah definatley, and that is so wrong for Floyd to create that doubt without any evidence. It's criminal at best.
    Manny could have flattened Floyd's ego and won a massive psychological victory by just agreeing to take the tests like it was no big deal when Floyd first asked him to. Manny would have been saying yeah, I'm clean and I'm going to beat you up clean like I beat Cotto and shove your steroid allegations down your throat. But he basically copied the actions of every steroid cheat that's been caught in America over the last decade. The outraged denials, the lawsuits, the deaperate avoidance of any kind of random testing even when there was a massive contract on the table waiting to be signed if he agreed to it.

Floyd didn't create the doubt, Manny did. There are other boxing people other than the Mayweathers who have questioned whether what Manny is doing is legitimate and those are just the ones who've gone public about it. And all Manny had to do to dispel the doubt (and earn up to $60 million in the process) was agree to take random tests. It was the perfect opportunity to shut the doubters up. Instead all his actions since being asked to take random testing (back in mid-November) are the actions of a guilty man.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Manny could have flattened Floyd's ego and won a massive psychological victory by just agreeing to take the tests like it was no big deal when Floyd first asked him to. Manny would have been saying yeah, I'm clean and I'm going to beat you up clean like I beat Cotto and shove your steroid allegations down your throat. But he basically copied the actions of every steroid cheat that's been caught in America over the last decade. The outraged denials, the lawsuits, the deaperate avoidance of any kind of random testing even when there was a massive contract on the table waiting to be signed if he agreed to it.

Floyd didn't create the doubt, Manny did. There are other boxing people other than the Mayweathers who have questioned whether what Manny is doing is legitimate and those are just the ones who've gone public about it. And all Manny had to do to dispel the doubt (and earn up to $60 million in the process) was agree to take random tests. It was the perfect opportunity to shut the doubters up. Instead all his actions since being asked to take random testing (back in mid-November) are the actions of a guilty man.
    Kirkland, you didn't really respond to my post or you did it in a round-about way. Are you saying that if Pacquiao had agreed to take the test for this one fight versus Mayweather and tested clean, win or lose, it would have erased any doubt you had of his using steroids in the past? How would testing clean for the fight with Mayweather change your opinion of his taking any drugs for the Cotto fight? He didn't undergo the tests that Mayweather is requiring of him in that fight as far as I know. Even if he tested clean as Mayweather demanded, maybe this was just a big pay day and it was worth it to not take drugs for one fight.

I totally agree, as I said in my post, that he should have taken the tests because we would have been able to watch Mayweather v. Pacquiao, but I don't see how it would dispel any doubt you had about Pacquiao taking drugs in the past.

The conclusion I am trying to draw is that Pac not taking the tests for this fight is odd because its not like testing clean for this fight means he didn't take drugs on his way up the weight class ladder when taking drugs would have been seemingly more beneficial. And this was his biggest pay day. He's been fighting at 145 now for a little while.

Let's say Pacquiao had been guilty of taking drugs in the past and had agreed to take the tests, even though logically it shouldn't clear his name, for yourself and other's like you, it may have cleared his name and in the process he could have made 20M. So, why not just test clean for this fight especially if he's been guilty in the past?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 01-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To respond to the question, I haven't seen any compelling reason to believe he is using anything. I know there are a lot of guys that agree you and would certainly be motivated with just 1/20th of that guaranteed amount. One thing I noted in an article was Pacquiao's reaction he was that he was really pissed off and at that time he responded with the Law Suit. So while I totally agree that he should have just taken the random testing, I can also understand why he didn't give in fully to the demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look, I've studied steroid use in the past. I am by no means an expert. But I don't see any physical signs of using on Manny. Steroid use, especially if it's been for years, would present with backne. We couldn't see this on baseball players because they wear shirts. Don't see any of it on Manny. And for his weight gain over the last 5 years (which hasn't been all that much if you compare tale of the tapes on fight nights) He's still a little guy. I figured that if he had been using he'd have a physique more like Jeff Lacy. Just my opinion though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    To respond to the question, I haven't seen any compelling reason to believe he is using anything. I know there are a lot of guys that agree you and would certainly be motivated with just 1/20th of that guaranteed amount. One thing I noted in an article was Pacquiao's reaction he was that he was really pissed off and at that time he responded with the Law Suit. So while I totally agree that he should have just taken the random testing, I can also understand why he didn't give in fully to the demand.
    Please oh please look at the facts and make a judgement.

Pac has just knocked back the biggest fight in the last decade because he doesnt want to take random blood tests, thus giving up his biggest ever payday.
    This does not prove anything, but are you telling me it doesnt raise your suspicions somewhat? His main excuse was that he doesnt want the tests within 3 days of the fight, yet when Mayweathers camp said he could stop tests 14 days out he still renegged. Thus making his main excuse void.
    Other excuses include the one about how Pac and his team dont wanna give Floyd the payday as they hate him so much. If this is the case then why enter into the negotiations at all, then when u do pull out do it for a reason that tarnishes Pacs legacy and name.

No one pulls out of the biggest fight in recent memory cos of random blood tests unless they have something to hide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree. This was about egos. By the time Floyd was able to compromise to 14 days, Manny was already pissed too much to care. Plus we can't assume that Manny feels the same way about the payday as Floyd does. Living in the Phillipines, he has enought money for 100 lifetimes. There's not much in the Phillipines that you can do with 40 million that you can't do with 10 million. Plus he has many other sources of revenue. Floyd let his ego get this best of him and by the time he was ready to compromise he had already gone too far. This is the first time in a long time that he had been in negotiations with someone that has as much, if not more star power than him. And make no mistake, Floyd needs the payday. Between the I.R.S., gambling, and stripper money, he needs it. Manny doesn't. Not to say he doesn't want it, but he doesn't need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 15rounder View Post
    I disagree. This was about egos. By the time Floyd was able to compromise to 14 days, Manny was already pissed too much to care. Plus we can't assume that Manny feels the same way about the payday as Floyd does. Living in the Phillipines, he has enought money for 100 lifetimes. There's not much in the Phillipines that you can do with 40 million that you can't do with 10 million. Plus he has many other sources of revenue. Floyd let his ego get this best of him and by the time he was ready to compromise he had already gone too far. This is the first time in a long time that he had been in negotiations with someone that has as much, if not more star power than him. And make no mistake, Floyd needs the payday. Between the I.R.S., gambling, and stripper money, he needs it. Manny doesn't. Not to say he doesn't want it, but he doesn't need it.
    So he tarnished his legacy and name forever, and gave up 40-60million because he was angry at Floyd....... Righto whatever u think.

First time in a longtime he has negotiations with a fighter who has as much or more star power than him....? Ahem 2 of his last 3 fights have been against ODLH and Ricky Hatton, possibly the 2 biggest draws in world boxing especially Oscar at the time.

Since when are you an expert on Floyds money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd and his camp knew that Manny would not agree to PRE fight blood testing due to whatever superstitions or beliefs that Manny has. Manny's offer to be blood tested IMMEDIATELY after the fight is proof enough for me that he has nothing to hide. Only a true fool would believe that the results would be different over the one hour that it takes if the fight goes the distance. Face facts, Floyd is much more concerned with the 0 under the loss column than he is with one more victory. What do you think that fake retirement crap was all about if not a convenient way to not fight and pray that somebody, anybody would beat Manny so that he didn't HAVE to fight him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RickyGoodSports View Post

Floyd and his camp knew that Manny would not agree to PRE fight blood testing due to whatever superstitions or beliefs that Manny has. Manny's offer to be blood tested IMMEDIATELY after the fight is proof enough for me that he has nothing to hide. Only a true fool would believe that the results would be different over the one hour that it takes if the fight goes the distance. Face facts, Floyd is much more concerned with the 0 under the loss column than he is with one more victory. What do you think that fake retirement crap was all about if not a convenient way to not fight and pray that somebody, anybody would beat Manny so that he didn't HAVE to fight him.
    What a load of shit. PED's can be cycled in and out of your blood stream, in a matter of a couple of days. Just because Pac may not have the drugs in his system straight after a fight does not mean he hasnt been using them in preparation, hence giving him a better training camp and better strength/fitness come fightnight. Manny is the guy who walked away from this fight not Floyd.
    You wanna face facts? The facts are Manny Pacquiao ran away from the bigest fight of his career becasue he didnt wanna take random blood tests and it has tarnished his legacy forever.

Thread Information