Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Kelly Pavlik do damage at 175?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question Can Kelly Pavlik do damage at 175?

After the hopkins fight should kelly continue to go up to 175 where theres clearly more competition or defend his titles against Abraham and maybe clean out the super middle weight division next year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can Kelly Pavlik do damage at 175?

He should stay at 175lbs and try and bully calzaghe in to one more fight

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    After the hopkins fight should kelly continue to go up to 175 where theres clearly more competition or defend his titles against Abraham and maybe clean out the super middle weight division next year?
    This is where Pavlik is trying to go with this. I believe that if he does well against Hopkins, and I don't know what Team Pavliks definition of well is vs my definition of well would be but I am assuming that if Pavlik looks impressive against B-Hop, that he will indeed move up and try to slay the dragon, Joe Calzaghe. I guess we will know more once Pavlik/Hopkins is over. However, I was expecting Pavlik to utterly destroy Taylor again at their catch weight rematch, which was only six pounds more and Pavlik did not deliver. Since we have never seen Pavlik at 175, we just don't know if he can be that dominating force he is at 160. I would like to see him fight against Arthur Abraham, I don't know why this fight has not been talked about enough. Ok I have to run but nice subject, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the reason why he didnt kill taylor again because taylor fought a smarter fight and tried not to get caught in the corners again but it was amazing to see kelly outbox taylor because some were doubting if he had any boxing skills and he showed it. And your right about the abraham fight it needs to be hyped up a little more

SigmaMu Guest

the reason why he didnt kill taylor again because taylor fought a smarter fight and tried not to get caught in the corners again but it was amazing to see kelly outbox taylor because some were doubting if he had any boxing skills and he showed it. And your right about the abraham fight it needs to be hyped up a little more
    Yeah, I guess you are right. Taylor made the needed adjustments and Pavlik still proved that his win was not some fluke. A much more defensive, smarter eager Taylor in that rematch., With that being said, how is Kelly going to do against a very well rounded defensive cagey veteran fighter in B-Hop, some one who has been proven at that higher weight? (despite the obvious age difference) Now I am getting pumped about this fight

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    This is where Pavlik is trying to go with this. I believe that if he does well against Hopkins, and I don't know what Team Pavliks definition of well is vs my definition of well would be but I am assuming that if Pavlik looks impressive against B-Hop, that he will indeed move up and try to slay the dragon, Joe Calzaghe. I guess we will know more once Pavlik/Hopkins is over. However, I was expecting Pavlik to utterly destroy Taylor again at their catch weight rematch, which was only six pounds more and Pavlik did not deliver. Since we have never seen Pavlik at 175, we just don't know if he can be that dominating force he is at 160. I would like to see him fight against Arthur Abraham, I don't know why this fight has not been talked about enough. Ok I have to run but nice subject, thanks.
    Kelly Pavlik still showed he can change the tempo of a fight with one punch remember it only took one body shot and that basically made Jermain Taylor go into a defensive shell.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think He will be at His Best
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly. Taylor fought a better fight and made it close. Taylor is still a very good fighter, and he came in with a better gameplan. He respected Pavlik's power and kept his left up for the first time in several fights. I don't think weight had anything to do with anything. I think Pavlik was built for 175.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he'll fill out 175 well.
    However fighting Hopkins is THEE stupidest thing he could have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    I think he'll fill out 175 well.
    However fighting Hopkins is THEE stupidest thing he could have done.

Agreed

Dont see the win in this

nor

a win.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In a word "YES" he is a huge middleweight and though he may not have the same one punch KO power, he will still have enough to cause serious damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Moving to 175 would be a bad move by Pavlik in my opinion.

I feel his power would not carry all the way up to 175 plus his size would no longer be an advantage to him at that weight.

he should stay at 160.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well if he kos hopkins which is a possibility he should stay there cause he will have a bigger name at 175 which will draw him into bigger fights like a dawson fight or even calzaghe if he isnt afraid. and believe me kelly wants to ko hopkins so he can put pressure on joe to fight him cause alot of people still say hopkins won the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

168 would be better for Pavlik better fights at that weight.

Isnt the Hopkins fight at 170? so 168 for me Calzaghe, Kessler, Bute would make life very tough for old Kelly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well if he kos hopkins which is a possibility he should stay there cause he will have a bigger name at 175 which will draw him into bigger fights like a dawson fight or even calzaghe if he isnt afraid. and believe me kelly wants to ko hopkins so he can put pressure on joe to fight him cause alot of people still say hopkins won the fight.
    I don't see why people think Hopkins getting Ko'd is a possibility.

Pavlik may have good power at 160 but as his second fight with Taylor showed it doesn't carry plus the fact he is a slow accumulation puncher and Hopkins is hard as fuck to hit Cleanly. Pavlik will not land enough to put Hopkins in any trouble.

Pavlik fighting Hopkins is the biggest mistake he has ever made.

Him fighting Calzaghe would be another mistake.

Calzaghe just has the perfect style to beat him and i'm surprised people actually give him a chance against joe.

Thread Information