Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Did Joe Walcott Land This Punch?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Did Joe Walcott Land This Punch?

[img width=700 height=525]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2324/91304188su9.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7473/21461758is5.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7119/64154190jg6.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1985/66864321om1.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3959/30813228vj4.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4374/13326389bv3.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4950/12828899id5.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Did Joe Walcott Land This Punch?

Hi Thomas.

I see Walcott is holding his ground instead of sticking his left and moving away. (Is this counter his intention from the first frame?)

It looks like Joe paws with his left, which draws Rocky's own left hand. After Rocky has thrown his left, his left side his open! Walcott takes full advantage of this and lands a powerful short overhand right. What a bomb! Rocky takes it full.

The answer is that Walcott drew Rocky's left which enabled him to followup with his best right hand.

Anyways, I read this aphorism by Charlie Goldman: "The punch you throw will take care of itself. It's the next one you gotta have ready."
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you can see in the first photo how that punch was going to land .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You get a feeling of what's going to happen in that first frame, but if you know Walcott you wouldn't be sure if he was just trying to sucker you in to rip you with a sneak left hook, or something else. However, it sets it everything in motion.

Frame 1: Joe holds ground expecting Rocky to come forward.
    Frame 2: Rocky closes the distance.
    Frame 3: Joe's not telegraphing a left hook, but you can see he's already set to throw a right hand, and takes one of Rocky's punches, I can't tell if he's rolling with it or not, but he doesn't stop him.
    Frame 4: Rocky's clearly open after he's thrown his left, and Walcott is ready to throw right hand counter.
    Frame 5: He begins to throw his right, and Rocky doesn't have the time to stop it. Frame 6: Boom! That Hurt Rocky Big Time!

Here's a question for you, what's Walcott's left hand doing in the meantime?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris , dont try and teach your mother to suck eggs.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying sound like an expert or give advice. I may be shooting in the dark here, but at least I'm trying to make out what I'm seeing. I'll ask a question on what I don't understand.

No disrespect intended but maybe you can straighten this out with your expertise since you the trainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That sequence happened about 15-20 seconds into the second round. Very well fought fight from both men. Very high level of boxing there the real thing for sure.

Chris thats about what I got from it too. I find this pretty interesting for the very same reason that Joe probably did. That if you see a guy is bringing back his jab hand low you can stick him with a counter jab as he jabs to disrupt him enough to not notice the right hand that is coming in as he brings his arm back low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Here's a question for you, what's Walcott's left hand doing in the meantime?
    heh. Well it looks like Joe wants that left hook doesn't it? Then again all right hands, if thrown properly, allow one to throw a left hook immediately after. I'd say it would be a fairly good idea in this case since Rocky's hand is in front of his face to block the counterjab which he always likes to do and it does definetly open him up for the left hook. Rocky actually gets knocked down in the 1st because joe sneaks a left hook behind that right glove as Rocky was jabbing.

[img width=700 height=525]http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1361/snapshot20070419121137oi1.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=525]http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4769/75104053dr3.jpg[/img]

What a sneaky guy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's great, least I wasn't trying to teach my grandmother to suck an egg.

The thing I missed was that I wasn't sure what Walcott was doing with his left. I saw him jab but I figured he was trying to set him up with. Anyways you're right about the jab disrupting Rocky enough that Joe could bring his right it.

I wonder if Walcott picked up on that when he watched some of Rocky's older fights. If so it's a good idea to set them up if they have a tendancy like that. I gotta make a mental note on what makes these kind of setups work when I watch the films. Thanks Thomas, I'll check out that fight again and see what I can gather.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyway let Lords explain, He is an expert. Fair point.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't know where he came from. I apologise, I guess I come off condescending a lot of times. By the way I wasn't trying to tell Lords Gyms anything, I just wanted to see what Thomas's take was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whats your take anyway Scrap?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I remember Rocky the fiest round was trying to walk him down, Joe got his range first touch his glove to make the Rock think he was in distance. Bent the back knee made him reach and fired, Joe was good at that. Pressure and old age at the end of the day were too much. 6 years younger I feel a different ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed everyones write up . nice screen shots ! cc's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney/Williams

Thread Information