This question involves an orthodox boxer jabbing and steeping to the right. This is how I have been taught:

Always stay a half step out of range. When you are going to throw a jab step in with a half step towards your opponent, transferring you weight into the punch. Snap the jab back while taking a small step back to our front foot's original location with the back foot staying stationary the whole time. Once the front foot has returned, take a lateral step to the right with the right foot and the front foot follows.

This is an another way step to the right and it involves less movement, but I have been told it's wrong.

Jab with a half step forward. Weight is transferred to the front foot while you push off with the front foot to swing the back foot to the right. Front foot withdraws a half step. This way you move to right before stepping back. This way for me is faster and smoother.

Question: Which way is correct and should I just work on the first until it becomes as natural as the second??