Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins or Roy Jones!!!

I think Hopkins is the smartest, craftiest fighter of this era. A guy who used his head to break down opponents and win fights to become the longest reigning middleweight ever. on the other hand Roy Jones was the most gifted fighter of this era, his sheer talent led him to dominate three weight classes and reign as 1 P4P fighter for many years.

What would you pick if you had a choice from either all of Hopkins' craft or Roy Jones' talent
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins or Roy Jones!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chamiley
    I think Hopkins is the smartest, craftiest fighter of this era. A guy who used his head to break down opponents and win fights to become the longest reigning middleweight ever. on the other hand Roy Jones was the most gifted fighter of this era, his sheer talent led him to dominate three weight classes and reign as 1 P4P fighter for many years.

What would you pick if you had a choice from either all of Hopkins' craft or Roy Jones' talent
    Good points.

Personally...I will always think that Hopkins is the more talented & Jones the more physically gifted.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Putting a gun to my head wouldn't get me to say Bernard is Roy's equal. No No No No

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    Putting a gun to my head wouldn't get me to say Bernard is Roy's equal. No No No No
    Well if he wasn't he was the closest thing to it in this era.
    Step up so I can put you down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One could also make a legitamate argument that Pernell Whitaker deserves to at least be mentioned right behind both Bernard and Roy, especially if like me, you believe he got robbed against Oscar, an Oscar who at 147 was at the time unbeaten and better than the Oscar Bernard beat at 160.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by chamiley

Good points.

Personally...I will always think that Hopkins is the more talented & Jones the more physically gifted.
    No.... Roy is more talented and physically gifted. Hopkins just mastered the basics better. Roy knew the basics but didn't master them like Hopkins because of his talent and gifts. And in the end Hopkins lasted longer because of his mastery of the basics and skills. Roy just looked more spectacular because of his talent and physical gifts and skills

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones was the most gifted fighter of this era sure and was a treat
    to watch but needed a bigger heart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ImRipped
    One could also make a legitamate argument that Pernell Whitaker deserves to at least be mentioned right behind both Bernard and Roy, especially if like me, you believe he got robbed against Oscar, an Oscar who at 147 was at the time unbeaten and better than the Oscar Bernard beat at 160.
    well the thread is for Bernard and roy, there are a few other fighters that can be mentioned also with them. but the thread is for these guys coz they were rivals. just like Oscar and Tito, Barrera and Morales
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter2
    Roy Jones was the most gifted fighter of this era sure and was a treat
    to watch but needed a bigger heart
    beating Tarver the first time took LOADS of heart So did beating Hopkins with a broken right hand(which was broken before the fight happened) beating Telasco with a fractured wrist and NOT pulling out of the third tarver fight despite a broken right hand. These are the kind of things Joe Calzaghe pulls out of fights about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Impossible to choose between them. Both have been superb for the sport over the years and we have been lucky enough to see them both in action over the years. If I had to pick it would be Roy Jones...nah Hopkins solely down to the fact he has chosen the right time to quit. Both are immense talents though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    No.... Roy is more talented and physically gifted. Hopkins just mastered the basics better. Roy knew the basics but didn't master them like Hopkins because of his talent and gifts. And in the end Hopkins lasted longer because of his mastery of the basics and skills. Roy just looked more spectacular because of his talent and physical gifts and skills
    Agreed...your'e right...in the end Hopkins lasted longer because of his mastery of the basics and skills...one thing that Jones did beat Hopkins at...counting light bulbs from the canvas.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that was cold Wacko

But i'd go with Roy Jones, simply because he moved up weight sooner and conquered men who was heavier than he was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Agreed...your'e right...in the end Hopkins lasted longer because of his mastery of the basics and skills...one thing that Jones did beat Hopkins at...counting light bulbs from the canvas.
    Hopkins was counting lightbulbs when Echols decked him the first time but it wasn't counted a knockdown

or did you forget?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'll take hopkins...his going out a champ a master of his sport...roy went out depending on the talent thats no longer there...in the last fight with tarver he seem rather just stick his tongue out and shake his head then punch...as a fan of roy for so long...that was heartbreaking of what happen to him...he could of knock out tarver well atleast that was what i was hoping for...the roy we became a fan of never showed up...it was like find out santa clause didn't exist again...

hopkins still the same tough boxer...he came in a champ and his leaving a champ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins was counting lightbulbs when Echols decked him the first time but it wasn't counted a knockdown

or did you forget?
    Have you forgotten that Jones is the one that lost consciousness?

Thread Information