Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do People Keep Complaining About Boxing ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Why Do People Keep Complaining About Boxing ??

We have got Mayweather vs Oscar Delahoya + Winky Wright vs Bernard Hopkins

Also Some great fights have been made lately Marquez vs Barrera i would like to know why people keep complaining about it i personally think boxing is going real well at moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Do People Keep Complaining About Boxing ??

Boxings not going well people would rather watch WWE or UFC. Boxing needs to get its shit together and get rid of all the second and third rate sanctioning bodies and all these crap international and intercontinental belts. All the worldwide boxing commisions should get together and sort boxing out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Also Some great fights have been made lately Marquez vs Barrera i would like to know why people keep complaining about it i personally think boxing is going real well at moment.

In that sense yeah its going great but the problem is that those great fights just dont seem to get enough public attention. Sadly it seems that most casual fans would rather watch 2 flabby bastards roll around in a cage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think boxing in general needs structuring. They keep talking before fights about ring size and type of gloves and this or that belt.

Do football fields have different size, does basketball get played for 10 minutes one day and 12 the next? No

We need:

One official ring size.
    One official glove type and glove weight. (Might be different per weight class but not per fight)
    One official fight length. Why should it be 4 or 6 or 10 or 12. Does baseball have less innings in the regular season than in the World Series? No. You know who plays less innings...little leaguers. You are professionals, fight a professional length.
    For goodness sake One sanctioning body and ONE BELT per weightclass.

Here is another thing I would do. Every four years I would have the top 4 of each weight fight in a tournament for the Title. This might be a bit radical but it would be great. If you count all the weight classes and schedule them so they happen at different times imagine how many great fights we would have every year.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is true that the Fight game has been on the slide for years really (not for us hardcore but for the casual fan) and forget Oscar and Floyd for a minute.
    When the Heavyweights are rocking then that is when it'll come back.
    Been downhill since Lennox retired.
    The armchair fan loves a heavyweight fight and always has.
    Massive respect to De La Hoya and Mayweather because they really have brought it back to the worlds attention.
    My latest God son has watched all the 24/7's to date and he's 10 weeks old his older brothers and sisters are all hooked on it so theres your proof.
    HAS to be a good fight though,it's vital Floyd makes a fight of it.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beerjelly
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

In that sense yeah its going great but the problem is that those great fights just dont seem to get enough public attention. Sadly it seems that most casual fans would rather watch 2 flabby bastards roll around in a cage.
    Personally, having only watched UFC, I don't see that it is entertaining in the same way that boxing is, and I didn't like it much, but obviously I'm in a diminishing group. For me, UFC was slow and not that much happened, and there was a lot of cagey stuff. I much prefer boxing, because a good percentage of fighters are there to try and achieve the win, rather than avoid defeat.

And I agree about the big fights Ice, I think it's in a good state, if only more people would switch on to it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

One official fight length. Why should it be 4 or 6 or 10 or 12. Does baseball have less innings in the regular season than in the World Series? No. You know who plays less innings...little leaguers. You are professionals, fight a professional length.
    I don't agree with that. As a guy who's boxed and has friends who have gone pro, I know how important it is to start guys off in the 4-6 rounders and work their way up.

I also fully agree with non title bouts being 10 rounds, title bouts being 12. It makes title bouts seem that much more special IMO.

I don't see how this is a problem for boxing personally, althought I do agree with your other points.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

some guys at work have asked whats the hype with this big fight at the weekend - obvioulsy its getting covergae in all the papers (only minor mind) and I have tried to explain to them.

They went on about which one was champion and which belt it was (they only really knew the WBC) - to be honest I don't really know who all the champions are these days or what belts they hold (am I alone here amongst boxing fans I just go by the Ring ratings and champions and I know who the best in each weight is - couldn't care less aho holds an ABC belt !)

They then moaned about how much of a farce it was to have all these different champions - I told them every boxing fan agrees ! The alphabet boys have a lot to answer for....

Who has the power to do anything about it ? The fighters themselves - stop fighting for these stupid belts and go up against the best (fair enough - have a couple of easy fights in between to make some dough). Maybe one day The Ring belt will be THE belt. We need undisputed champions !

Unfortunately the casual fan would think people like Mayweather were bit part players if they weren't 'world champions' of some ABC body

One day maybe , one day.....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO
    some guys at work have asked whats the hype with this big fight at the weekend - obvioulsy its getting covergae in all the papers (only minor mind) and I have tried to explain to them.

They went on about which one was champion and which belt it was (they only really knew the WBC) - to be honest I don't really know who all the champions are these days or what belts they hold (am I alone here amongst boxing fans I just go by the Ring ratings and champions and I know who the best in each weight is - couldn't care less aho holds an ABC belt !)

They then moaned about how much of a farce it was to have all these different champions - I told them every boxing fan agrees ! The alphabet boys have a lot to answer for....

Who has the power to do anything about it ? The fighters themselves - stop fighting for these stupid belts and go up against the best (fair enough - have a couple of easy fights in between to make some dough). Maybe one day The Ring belt will be THE belt. We need undisputed champions !

Unfortunately the casual fan would think people like Mayweather were bit part players if they weren't 'world champions' of some ABC body

One day maybe , one day.....

You know mate when Oscar has hung em up and is solely a Promoter we'll see better matchups for sure.
    The best need to fight the best on a regular basis and he's all for that
    Greedy Promoters do the sport no good at all and Oscar is a boxing man through and through.
    I still think Hatton should have joined Golden Boy
    The Heavyweight division being so poor is THE major factor though.
    Some of our younger pups on here won't have any idea of the phenomenan that was Mike Tyson when he came on the scene
    MASSIVE draw and easily the most recognisable man on the planet back in the day.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think people complain so much because they get obsessed with the past. It doesn't matter what the sport once was. If people weren't so obsessed with retired fighters, maybe they could see that there is a wealth of talent out there just waiting to showcase their talents.

This year alone I've seen some fantastic fights and the year is already promising alot more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan
    I think boxing in general needs structuring. They keep talking before fights about ring size and type of gloves and this or that belt.

Do football fields have different size, does basketball get played for 10 minutes one day and 12 the next? No

We need:

One official ring size.
    One official glove type and glove weight. (Might be different per weight class but not per fight)
    For goodness sake One sanctioning body and ONE BELT per weightclass.

Here is another thing I would do. Every four years I would have the top 4 of each weight fight in a tournament for the Title. This might be a bit radical but it would be great. If you count all the weight classes and schedule them so they happen at different times imagine how many great fights we would have every year.

Soccer fields as the yanks would call it have varying sizes as do cricket grounds. Maybe when little boxers are boxing they could have smaller rings say 12ft by 12ft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Too many sanctioning bodies, too many titles, too many weight classes, poor judging and officiating are some of the major things that are ruining boxing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Canvasback
    Too many sanctioning bodies, too many titles, too many weight classes, poor judging and officiating are some of the major things that are ruining boxing.
    While all of the above is true, many people watch boxing for exactly what it is. If it's a great fight, who gives a toss what title is on the line. I just want to see great fights.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hardly anybody I know has any idea who the fook PBF and DLH are. That's the measure of how big boxing is, when the man in the street knows the top fighters.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People complain because the heavyweight division sucks. the other weight classes are pretty good. we've seen some pretty decent fights. there are some fights that could have been made that haven't but for the most part we've had good fights south of the heavyweight division.

Thread Information