Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing: ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

I know boxing is one of the toughest sports there is, so i dont blame fighters for wanting loads of cash. But it seems now hardly any fighters wanna fight the best to prove their talent, they just wanna fight the guy thats the lowest risk and that'll make them the most money.
    A good example is pbf v DLH.
    It would have been a bigger achievment for floyd to beat winky wright or mosely but he chose DLH cos thats where the money was at.
    Hatton is doing the same calling out DLH to make more cash when he should be fighting guys in their prime like cotto. Loads more examples everywhere.
    Why dont the best just fight the best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing: ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    I know boxing is one of the toughest sports there is, so i dont blame fighters for wanting loads of cash. But it seems now hardly any fighters wanna fight the best to prove their talent, they just wanna fight the guy thats the lowest risk and that'll make them the most money.
    It would have been a bigger achievment for floyd to beat winky wright or mosely but he chose DLH cos thats where the money was at.
    Hatton is doing the same calling out DLH to make more cash when he should be fighting guys in their prime like cotto. Loads more examples everywhere.
    You answered this question in your subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    You answered this question in your subject.
    How do you mean?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You need to exclude Gatti and Winky Wright, jermain Taylor. They fight everyone and avoid no one.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    You need to exclude Gatti and Winky Wright, jermain Taylor. They fight everyone and avoid no one.
    just like taylor chose to fight jr middleweights like cory spinks and kassim ouma and don't say that he chose to fight wright. he never chose anything. wright was his mandatory and lou dibella tried all angles to get wright to step aside. I remember him saying, "jermain has faced bernard twice and now he has earned an easier fight".
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know what you do for a living, but just assume your industry forces people to often retire in their thirties too. And then try to tell me you won't be trying to make the most money possible in your final years.

I agree that I'd love to see some fights that never come to fruition, but to say Floyd only fought Oscar for the big paycheck?
    Of course money was a huge deciding factor in that fight, but you're making it sound like he took an easy fight just for the cash when it was anything but.
    It's a fight people wanted to see and it was a dangerous fight for Floyd. And you're saying he dodged Mosley and Cotto so he can get this easy fight??

Best fight the best?
    The top WW moving up out of his comfortable weight to fight the best at 154 in his first 154 fight isn't "best vs. best" enough?
    I mean, there'll always be matches out there we want to see but may never get a chance to, but come on! Don't make it sound as if Floyd took an easy way out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by meowza
    I don't know what you do for a living, but just assume your industry forces people to often retire in their thirties too. And then try to tell me you won't be trying to make the most money possible in your final years.

I agree that I'd love to see some fights that never come to fruition, but to say Floyd only fought Oscar for the big paycheck?
    Of course money was a huge deciding factor in that fight, but you're making it sound like he took an easy fight just for the cash when it was anything but.
    It's a fight people wanted to see and it was a dangerous fight for Floyd. And you're saying he dodged Mosley and Cotto so he can get this easy fight??

Best fight the best?
    The top WW moving up out of his comfortable weight to fight the best at 154 in his first 154 fight isn't "best vs. best" enough?
    I mean, there'll always be matches out there we want to see but may never get a chance to, but come on! Don't make it sound as if Floyd took an easy way out.
    Thats ridiculous. How many million do u need. Yeah the top boxers retire in their thirties but how many million do you need. There is not that big a difference between someone who has 50 million and someone who has 60 million. Comparing them to a normal working guy is stupid.

And why should PBF retire after DLH. Oscar is not the best at 154 no way. Winky is when he fights at that weight. Oscar is just the money man. U are blinded by your liking of floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you think fighting Winky in his first 154 fight would've been a better thing to do than fight Oscar?
    A man who's been fighting at MW for the past 2 years?

Floyd and Oscar was a fight a lot of people wanted to see.
    Who should he have fought instead?
    Cotto? He's still answering questions right now. And after this mini WW tourney is done, we'll see if he does deserve a shot at Floyd.
    Margarito? Has done nothing to earn a Floyd fight.
    Hatton? Had no desire of fighting at 147 at the time.
    Winky? Illogical choice for a first 154 fight.

So it basically came down to Oscar or Mosley.
    Oscar has the name, the green, and the green strap. All lucrative things for Floyd.
    It was a fight a lot of people wanted to see. It was a fight a lot of people thought Floyd would be biting off more than he could chew at that weight.
    Stop making it sound like he took an easy out.

And I never said I agree with Floyd's decision to retire.
    I'd still like to see a Mosley fight too. Or a Cotto fight depending on how he does against Judah and winner of Tony/Williams, if that comes to be.
    But at this point in time, Floyd vs. Oscar was a logical choice.
    C'mon. 2 million buys. People wanted to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by meowza
    Do you think fighting Winky in his first 154 fight would've been a better thing to do than fight Oscar?
    A man who's been fighting at MW for the past 2 years?

Floyd and Oscar was a fight a lot of people wanted to see.
    Who should he have fought instead?
    Cotto? He's still answering questions right now. And after this mini WW tourney is done, we'll see if he does deserve a shot at Floyd.
    Margarito? Has done nothing to earn a Floyd fight.
    Hatton? Had no desire of fighting at 147 at the time.
    Winky? Illogical choice for a first 154 fight.

So it basically came down to Oscar or Mosley.
    Oscar has the name, the green, and the green strap. All lucrative things for Floyd.
    It was a fight a lot of people wanted to see. It was a fight a lot of people thought Floyd would be biting off more than he could chew at that weight.
    Stop making it sound like he took an easy out.

And I never said I agree with Floyd's decision to retire.
    I'd still like to see a Mosley fight too. Or a Cotto fight depending on how he does against Judah and winner of Tony/Williams, if that comes to be.
    But at this point in time, Floyd vs. Oscar was a logical choice.
    C'mon. 2 million buys. People wanted to see it.
    My point is why retire now claiming you are the best at 154 and under when u havent fought the best. You helped me prove my point. Beating winky at 154 would have been the best fighting the best, yet he went for the DLH fight cos it paid more money. Case closed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both Ray Robinson and Joe Louis kept on fighting due to money issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Both Ray Robinson and Joe Louis kept on fighting due to money issues.
    Pretty hard to compare the money they made to todays boxers.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Management thats why and its good for the fighter they are there to make money. Would you put your fighter up against a guy that might beat him right away and make no money or money once? Or put him against a few that you know he beats so you both make bucks? Its about management! Look at all the money Oscars making win or lose do you think at this point he really cares all that much. Maybe now that hes getting ready to retire hed like to go with a big win but he keeps getting the big payday. Just like Hatton wants Oscar if he can get that fight do you think Hatton really cares if he loses no, he just wants that payday!

Thread Information