greynotsoold
For the Beginners: How to Slip a Jab

First, the inside slip. (so that th punch passes over your right shoulder) to begin, shift the weight over a straight left leg. Turn the right shoulder forward; swing the right hip forward, right knee bent and loose. Point of reference, this is the exact same motion as that involved in throwing a right hand. Second, the outside slip. (so that the punch passes over your left shoulder.) Shift weight over straight right leg, turn the left shoulder and hip to the right. Keep right foot stationary, left to pointed inward, left hand low to punch to the body, right hand high, off left shoulder. Point of reference: this is the same motion as that involved in throwing a left hook. If somebody tells you that slipping is "head movement" they are mistaken; try and punchwhen moving only your head. In order to punch back you must begin the movement on your feet.

Lazy-Eye
Re: For the Beginners: How to Slip a Jab

What would you consider a more effecient slip, the "inside" or "outside" slip? I prefer the outside slip as I normally get tagged while slipping inside by my opponents other hand, it can also get a bit messy as I'm often too close to land a punch cleanly (I could use an uppercut but I've never tried that yet)

From the outside (If I've slipped correctly!) I normally lead with a right hook or straight, would it be better to start off with a left jab or would his shoulder be in the way?

Missy

I think it depends on several things, your boxing style being one of them, if you fight more square and hunched you will naturally fall in to your right, if you are more evenly positioned you have more choices.

J.Wright

Dizaster

Quote from: Lazy-Eye on July 04, 2005, 08:20:58 AM
What would you consider a more effecient slip, the "inside" or "outside" slip? I prefer the outside slip as I normally get tagged while slipping inside by my opponents other hand, it can also get a bit messy as I'm often too close to land a punch cleanly (I could use an uppercut but I've never tried that yet)

From the outside (If I've slipped correctly!) I normally lead with a right hook or straight, would it be better to start off with a left jab or would his shoulder be in the way?
To help not getting tagged once you slip inside, you could continue the movent down and in a semi circle motion like a "C". If you slip & keep your head moving, he'll find it much harder to get you with a follow up punch. Especially if a lot of people they've sparred with will simply slip their head to the inside lining it up perfect with his right hand.. If he's trying to chase your head around with follow up punches, he's most likely going to leave himself open to any number of hooks to the body or head..
I think a good pratice after learning to slip is learning to keep your head & body going, to avoid those follow ups. (Especially as one of the fundemantal combo's is a jab followed by a straight right)...
I think it's time to take your opponents follow up right & use it to your advantage.. he'll soon learn when you slip inside of his jab, its now time to pucker up his defences..

oldtownboxing

Grand

ThomasTabin

Quote from: oldtownboxing on November 26, 2006, 08:28:16 PM
“I don't teach slipping the jab because it's easier to block. I tell the boxers to slip the power punches. In the long run, I feel that saving gas might get you to your destination.”

wow, you dont teach the left hook and right hand inside and outside slips off the jab?