Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How good was Marco Antonio Barrera

Just be interested to hear how good people think he was,all I know is that he beat Prince Nassem and had couple of cracking fights with Morales...Also lost to Pac man recently...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Marco Antonio Barrera

One of the very best in all boxing history

He will be a bigger version of and this generations Roberto Duran

A certain hall of famer and living legend.. No question
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand he got beat up easy against Junior Jones can anyone explain wot happened there.

ICB Guest

One of the greatest Mexican fighters of all time, You should check out his fight with Kennedy McKinney. That was one of the best slugfest's you will ever see. If your MAB fan do not watch 1st Junior Jones fight because he took a bit of beating in that fight, although i think MAB should of won the rematch vs Junior Jones, he just had MAB's number just like Norton had Ali's and Forrest had Mosley's.

I think Barrera was one of the best Superbantamweights of all time he is up there with Wilfredo Gomez imo.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nigel2smooth79
    I understand he got beat up easy against Junior Jones can anyone explain wot happened there.

Jones just had his number, Jones caught Barrera with very hard right hand and Barrera went down, he got back up and then he was pounded along the ropes and he went down again but Barrera's corner men jumped into the ring when the round was still active so Barrera got DQ but if you watched the fight you would consider it a KO and not DQ win. The rematch Barrera done better i think he edged it but like i said Jones just had Barrera's number.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a great punch JJ caught Barrera with. One of those punches that would have had 95% of fighters in trouble.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    That was a great punch JJ caught Barrera with. One of those punches that would have had 95% of fighters in trouble.
    Yep he walked right into it, i couldn't believe he actually got up that was right on the button perfect punch.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker

Jones just had his number, Jones caught Barrera with very hard right hand and Barrera went down, he got back up and then he was pounded along the ropes and he went down again but Barrera's corner men jumped into the ring when the round was still active so Barrera got DQ but if you watched the fight you would consider it a KO and not DQ win. The rematch Barrera done better i think he edged it but like i said Jones just had Barrera's number.
    grr you know this would get a response from me he did get a tko but due to a kidnapping in the family/ransom, only did two weeks training, should have pulled out of the fight but that's youth for you thinking you're invincible. Second fight was much closer, still a L on his record though. People for years kept saying he was chinny after the first Jones fight

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Missy

grr you know this would get a response from me he did get a tko but due to a kidnapping in the family/ransom, only did two weeks training, should have pulled out of the fight but that's youth for you thinking you're invincible. Second fight was much closer, still a L on his record though. People for years kept saying he was chinny after the first Jones fight
    I know your big MAB fan Missy so am i, i don't watch Jones fight because its horrible watching one of your favorite fighters get beat. Barrera was too over confident just like Mosley was going into Forrest fight and he payed the price. I did think Barrera won the rematch but Jones just had the right style to beat Barrera theres always a boxer out there that just has your number, like Norton/Ali, Forrest/Mosley, Saddler/Pep. But fair play to Barrera he comeback very well when most boxers wouldn't have recovered from that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy

I know your big MAB fan Missy so am i, i don't watch Jones fight because its horrible watching one of your favorite fighters get beat. Barrera was too over confident just like Mosley was going into Forrest fight and he payed the price. I did think Barrera won the rematch but Jones just had the right style to beat Barrera theres always a boxer out there that just has your number, like Norton/Ali, Forrest/Mosley, Saddler/Pep. But credit fair play to Barrera he comeback very well when most boxers wouldn't have recovered from that.
    You're right, I think he was over confident, you're young strong, unbeaten and everyone is calling you the new Chavez, why wouldn't you go through with the fight? - still stupid that they didn't postpone the fight under the circumstances. May have gone the same way though, might have led to a shorter career if they'd not started to make adjustments to his style, who knows

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barrera = Legend
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you mean by " He will be a bigger version of Duran "

He certainly isn't as popular or revered as Duran, and he's much lighter. And he's many, many tiers below him in the pantheon of pugilistic greats. Barrera was a modern great of that theres no question, but he was pretty limited when compared to authentic all time greats.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fantastic fighter turned boxer Barrera was a great fighter who in my opinion is ia member of the royal family of the Mexican boxing hierarchy.

His power, desire, stamina and work ethic would have made him competitive in any era

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Barrera = Legend
    Word.

Barrera was great. Will always be one of my favourites.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marco is a legendary icon. Greatest of all time and future hall of fame.

Thread Information