User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Q&A: Jermain Taylor!

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Q&A: Jermain Taylor!

Jermain, as training camp gets underway for your rematch with Kelly Pavlik, a lot has changed since your last fight with him. Let’s talk about some of those things. First off, you’re back to your original amateur trainer Ozell Nelson and Emanuel Steward is gone. When we last talked, you stressed that it was a good match and too much was being made of his addition to the camp. Had you won the Pavlik fight, would Manny still be in your corner or do you feel a parting of ways was imminent, regardless of the outcome?

First I want to say there are no hard feelings between Emanuel and myself, Emanuel Steward is a Hall of Fame trainer. I learned a lot being with Manny, however it just didn't seem to click when came fight time in the corner. I don't know what you would call it, but sometimes certain fighters and trainers just don't seem to click when it's fight time.

http://www.fightnews.com/newman70.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Q&A: Jermain Taylor!

CC #1644 ICE; nice read. I have always liked Taylor, and though Pavlik is my favorite flavor of the week, I still like Taylor alot, and that was one of very few interviews I've seen where someone didn't make 1 excuse for a loss, and gave the other guy his due props. It's weird, as Taylor sometimes seems not mentally in the fight to a degree, but he is sure is humble and speaks well and seems to have a great head on his shoulders. I almost hope he wins the rematch so maybe we can have a trilogy. Hats off to JT IMO.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    CC #1644 ICE; nice read. I have always liked Taylor, and though Pavlik is my favorite flavor of the week, I still like Taylor alot, and that was one of very few interviews I've seen where someone didn't make 1 excuse for a loss, and gave the other guy his due props. It's weird, as Taylor sometimes seems not mentally in the fight to a degree, but he is sure is humble and speaks well and seems to have a great head on his shoulders. I almost hope he wins the rematch so maybe we can have a trilogy. Hats off to JT IMO.
    back you know back in 2006 i was actually defending Taylor all the time. But after the Spinks fight you couldn't really defend him and the criticism was warranted. But i have always liked Taylor's attitude and he has great ability, but unfortunately he has some flaws which no trainer can fix. Pavlik is my favorite fighter at the moment and i want him to win again, but i wouldn't be disappointed if Taylor won. Then we could have a trilogy and it could be up there with Rocky Graziano vs Tony Zale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he does have flaws especially his balance that he will never fully overcome... I wish he was in better shape and that he had better footwork, but besides that people forget he had that fight, but he got crazy when he had Pavlik hurt... I am not saying Pavlik isn't good, but he is a very flawed fighter as well who is easy to hit, and he doesn't have the chin to back it up.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    I think he does have flaws especially his balance that he will never fully overcome... I wish he was in better shape and that he had better footwork, but besides that people forget he had that fight, but he got crazy when he had Pavlik hurt... I am not saying Pavlik isn't good, but he is a very flawed fighter as well who is easy to hit, and he doesn't have the chin to back it up.
    Taylor done all he could to get Pavlik out of there in the 2nd round, he landed 44 power shots. Hit Pavlik with Uppercuts, Left Hooks, Right Hooks, what else could he have done ?? i think Pavlik needs to get more props for his great survival instincts by clinching and then even coming back at the end of the round. And i think its slightly unfair to say Pavlik hasn't got the chin, all of his knockdowns were flash knockdowns except for the Taylor knockdown, plus them knockdowns came against pretty good punchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are not many fighters out there who will accept a loss as a loss, plain and simple. Fighters who are willing to deal with a loss in such a way, usually turn out to be much better fighters after such an event. They work on fixing what broke instead of placing an excuse bandaid over their wounded pride.

How can you not like Taylor? You don't see that kind of attitude this day and age.

Thread Information