Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Arum possibly be making a Cotto-Alphonso Gomez fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Could Arum possibly be making a Cotto-Alphonso Gomez fight?

I've heard this, on the same card as Margarito-Judah assuming that ever gets signed.

Someone tell me what this says, its got something to do with Cotto and Gomez but its in Spanish:

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/not...a_cotto/343004

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Could Arum possibly be making a Cotto-Alphonso Gomez fight?

I'm reading it give me a few minutes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't think so
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Title: "Gomez dreams of Cotto"

(Small print to the right of Cottos picture)
    It is being negotiated that the winner of Margarito-Judah faces Cotto.

According to this report Cotto-Gomez is actually being discussed as we speak. They feel that Cotto fighting Gomez will help Cotto with the US market being that Gomez was so popular in the Contender series and is also coming off 2 good wins vs. Gatti & Tackie.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's not surprising.

After beating Mosley Arum basically said Cotto deserves a "gimme" before his next proper fight.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    That's not surprising.

After beating Mosley Arum basically said Cotto deserves a "gimme" before his next proper fight.
    Which explains why the WBA planned ahead and decided that the Klose vs. Yuriy fight be for the 'Interim' title as they already know they will OK any fight Cotto makes cause they know he'll collect money for them his opponents will pay the sanctioning fees to fight him.

Now it all makes sense few months back I was on here asking why was the WBA making that fight for the Interim title as Cotto was active nad has been active. Turns out they didn't want to loose the money Cotto makes them and at the same time they needed to appear as tho they were following regulations hence why they made the fight for an Interim title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually don't have a problem with this. You have to build towards big events. Last year Cotto started off with Urkal, then continued with Zab, and finished with Shane. This year, I'd be perfectly fine with his schedule if he fought Gomez, then Margarito/Williams/Cintron/Clottey, and finished with Mayweather. People get pissed when an elite fighter doesn't fight another elite fighter every fight. This plan is fine. Gomez would keep Cotto fresh and allow hime to fine tune some different things in his game. He's gonna need all the fine-tuning he can get if he wants to beat Floyd. If he stepped into the ring with Floyd in his next fight, I think Cotto would get stopped.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    I actually don't have a problem with this. You have to build towards big events. Last year Cotto started off with Urkal, then continued with Zab, and finished with Shane. This year, I'd be perfectly fine with his schedule if he fought Gomez, then Margarito/Williams/Cintron/Clottey, and finished with Mayweather. People get pissed when an elite fighter doesn't fight another elite fighter every fight. This plan is fine. Gomez would keep Cotto fresh and allow hime to fine tune some different things in his game. He's gonna need all the fine-tuning he can get if he wants to beat Floyd. If he stepped into the ring with Floyd in his next fight, I think Cotto would get stopped.
    Yeh I also like the best fighters to fight softer opponents as well. One of the weaknesses of the UFC in my mind this past year has been that they have put every Pride fighter straight into a mega fight which most have invariably lost.

This does nothing to boost their sport and just instantly destroys the future marketability of those fighters. Who cares about Wanderlai Silva, Dan Henderson and Shogun now? They've all been beat in their UFC debut's so the UFC fans never got to see what was so dominant about them. It would have been much better had they all had an easy fight to look spectacular in beforehand and build an aura.

It's the same in boxing. Coming off a tough fight with Mosely some people are again questioning Cotto's vulnarabilities highlighting for example how Mosely finished the fight the stronger off the two and how he had Cotto backing up in the late rounds.

Far better for Cotto now to fight an opponent he can dominate and win in exciting fashion, once again recreating that feeling of invincibility.

That said though, I do like Alfonso and don't really want to see him get massacred at the hands of Cotto. I would have loved him (Gomez) to fight Cintron as I think that's a title fight he would have a chance of winning.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Yeh I also like the best fighters to fight softer opponents as well. One of the weaknesses of the UFC in my mind this past year has been that they have put every Pride fighter straight into a mega fight which most have invariably lost.

This does nothing to boost their sport and just instantly destroys the future marketability of those fighters. Who cares about Wanderlai Silva, Dan Henderson and Shogun now? They've all been beat in their UFC debut's so the UFC fans never got to see what was so dominant about them. It would have been much better had they all had an easy fight to look spectacular in beforehand and build an aura.

It's the same in boxing. Coming off a tough fight with Mosely some people are again questioning Cotto's vulnarabilities highlighting for example how Mosely finished the fight the stronger off the two and how he had Cotto backing up in the late rounds.

Far better for Cotto now to fight an opponent he can dominate and win in exciting fashion, once again recreating that feeling of invincibility.

That said though, I do like Alfonso and don't really want to see him get massacred at the hands of Cotto. I would have loved him (Gomez) to fight Cintron as I think that's a title fight he would have a chance of winning.
    Bilbo you fucking hobbit would you quit comparing boxing to MMA...
    Seems now that you almost always bring up the UFC whenever you get the chance.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

Bilbo you F****** hobbit would you quit comparing boxing to MMA...
    It was an analogy Mick, I wasn't making a comparison I was just using the UFC as an example of what I don't want to happen in boxing.

Damn Mexican havn't you got floors you should be mopping?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo you F****** hobbit would you quit comparing boxing to MMA...
    It was an analogy Mick, I wasn't making a comparison I was just using the UFC as an example of what I don't want to happen in boxing.

Damn Mexican havn't you got floors you should be mopping?
    Well use another analogy

And I don't mop floors bitch! I actually do the tile work

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also for those of you who dont know Bilbo and for the guests.

Pay no attention to him he was part of the package Saddo got when he bought the server. Think it was something like;

Server + PC + Advertising and Bonus: A troll/hobbit to go around your forums. All for 6 easy payments of $29.99 a month.

We've all pretty much learned to live with him here he aint going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, the UFC/Pride were freaking stupid as hell this year, they cashed out early with all these super fights without proper buildup cards/fights and now everyone has lost except Silva and there really aren't any intriguing fights left and there really aren't any young stars coming up either. So for all their bluster and bravado, MMA really isn't fucking with boxing. Boxing had a HUGE year and most important, there are several highly rated undefeated fighters (Cotto, Williams, Khan, Valero, Dawson, Guzman, Povetkin, Berto, Linares) that are ready to burst into stardom along with a bunch of undefeated prospects (Linares, Juan Manuel Lopez, Devon Alexander, etc...) That's exactly why I think MMA will always be second to boxing. They never have the type of undefeated prodigies that boxing produces. Undefeated fighters create an air of invincibility. MMA will never have undefeated fighters because their fighters are jack of all trades and no one is truly elite at one thing except maybe Silva and Liddell with stand up.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also for those of you who dont know Bilbo and for the guests.

Pay no attention to him he was part of the package Saddo got when he bought the server. Think it was something like;

Server + PC + Advertising and Bonus: A troll/hobbit to go around your forums. All for 6 easy payments of $29.99 a month.

We've all pretty much learned to live with him here he aint going anywhere.

If I left this whole forum would go to the dogs and you know it. If it wasn't for my intelligent wit and cheery banter Saddo's would be just be like all of those 'other' boxing forums.

Admit it, you'd miss me

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, the UFC/Pride were freaking stupid as hell this year, they cashed out early with all these super fights without proper buildup cards/fights and now everyone has lost except Silva and there really aren't any intriguing fights left and there really aren't any young stars coming up either. So for all their bluster and bravado, MMA really isn't F****** with boxing. Boxing had a HUGE year and most important, there are several highly rated undefeated fighters (Cotto, Williams, Khan, Valero, Dawson, Guzman, Povetkin, Berto, Linares) that are ready to burst into stardom along with a bunch of undefeated prospects (Linares, Juan Manuel Lopez, Devon Alexander, etc...) That's exactly why I think MMA will always be second to boxing. They never have the type of undefeated prodigies that boxing produces. Undefeated fighters create an air of invincibility. MMA will never have undefeated fighters because their fighters are jack of all trades and no one is truly elite at one thing except maybe Silva and Liddell with stand up.
    I would add Katsidis.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Thread Information