Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default weight training - slow or fast?

i dunno whether there was a topic like this or not, but i gotta run soon so i don't got the time to do a search.

so...for boxing..is it better to do fast or slow repetitions? light or heavy? someone once told me that for boxing i should use heavy weights and do fast repetitions. is that true?
    i mean, it's logically that if you use heavy weights and do slow repetitions it's better for the muscles because you can concentrate on the movement, but if you do fast repetitions i dunno if that's good

regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: weight training - slow or fast?

i would say slow because your nit useing the momentom to lift the weight your useing your strenght

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one thing helps - ex. do it fast one week and slow the next - switch it up so you get the most gains from your workout because our bodies tend to bore out on the same method/routine quickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you gotta confuse those muscles to keep em ripping.
    as SP killa states, slow one week, fast another.
    just make sure that you are controlling in when you do it quick, and that your not using momentum and flinging the weight, it has to be a musle lift

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what are your goals? In bodybuilding we ALWYAS do slow CONTROLLED lifts to maximize the lift. As far as getting adapted? Yeah your muscles will get adapted to your routine ever 4-6 weeks. So after that, change it. IMO, I would go slow and controlled, always.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you lift slowly then your not doing the exercises correctly (power snatches, power cleans, power jerks, olympic squats, speed squats, plyo's, ballistic bench etc). If you do the exercises correctly, they will be fast. The only 'bodybuilding' type exercise you should do really is the bench press with 3-5 reps, pressing as fast as possible to shift the most ammount of weight as possible.

But in my opinion, weights are NOT important in boxing at all. Learning how to box is more important

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well first of all thank you for so many replies i'm glad
    i think that i'm gonna try out this 1 week fast-1 week slow... program. nothing to lose i guess. cuz i've always been doing slow and controlled lifts. i guess it was quite effective though. but i'll give it a shot

Joe_Ice my goal is become really fit for boxing, meaning that I want my bodyweight to develope better terms for stronger punches and high level of explosivness than the other people my height and weight. on the other hand i wish to have a boxerish kind of body so i want all do develop all these tiny muscles on my back, for the visual effect when i take off my shirt on a beach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Getting RIPPED is all in diet... HEAVY MOVEMENTS like squats, dead lifts, etc.. are not to be done slow and controlled. Only ones were you won't have to worry about getting seriously injured (bench, dips, curls, pulls, etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea well i'm currently on diet, and i work out 2-3 hours a day lately. about an hour and a half weight training and hour and a half of boxing (that is shadow boxing, speed bag..), weekdays off .
    i think that should do the trick.

i always watch out for the exercises that could injure me, so yea i do them slowly always. i guess that i'll do the NON-dangerous exercises one week fast and one week slow. i'll go for that and see what happens.

btw i'm a new member of this forum and i wanna thank all u ppl, cos u're always fast with the replies and very helpfull. happy to be part of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you look at boxing no one is going at you with slow rep punches - boxing is an extreme explosive sport so I would normally say do it fast always but if you want to see quicker gains in MUSCLE then listen to ICE and do it slow for longer than a week - I switch up soo often every week cause I like the results - its just my personal preference in weight training for boxing - explosive one week - hard slow gains the next - lol

good luck

Thread Information