Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best Method for Punching Power?

Whats the best method for good puching power training. I know Im no Kelly Pavlik, But I was impressed by his training on the HBO document when hes was training with a Hammer also he was lifting 600 pound tires back and fourth. Do you guys know any other training fashions like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best Method for Punching Power?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post

Good old fashion boxing, HELL FUCKIN' YEAH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

punching power is the of strength, speed and form.
    Last edited by Von Milash; 05-04-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Form speed and strenth as Milash said is exactly right.. You need to train your entire body for your calf to your neck.. Balance out your whole body.. Then work on having the perfect form and balance.. Much much power can be gained just from having the weight distributed correctly during the punch, and using the right form.. Practice explosive moves like clap pushups and alternative things like woodchopping, or get and old tractor tyre from a tyre yard and belt it with a sledge hammer over and over..
    Everything will contribute to the punching power,, but you won't get it without good form..

El Kabong Guest

What I did to work on my power was to work on my form. I would place my fist on the heavybag in the position where I wanted to finish my punch. After that I punched in reverse, I pulled my fist back and cam back to where I would start to throw my punch, and then I would punch regularly focusing on form.

Once form is taken care of then your muscle memory improves and your speed improves.

To add power put your weight behind your punches by using your legs and core muscles and not just your upper body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

strength/weight training can also help, but you have to do the right movements the right way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi "wbcheavyweight,"
    You asked:
    Whats the best method for good puching power training.
    The Law of Specificity rules here... The "best method" to increase your punching power is to practice punching with power in mind--on a heavy bag or any piece of relatively dense equipment that gives adequate resistance to applied force.

As the others alluded to, mastering PERFECT FORM (i.e. proper body mechanics) on any given punch is absolutely crucial in tapping your full potential to generate maximum punching power.

If you follow the below protocol, you'll improve your punching power and be able to realistically apply it against an uncooperative opponent.
    1. LEARN-Perfect your form through proper body mechanics. Do this conscientiously and deliberately.
    2. PRACTICE-Do lots and lots of perfect repetitions in a controlled setting to ingrain perfect form.
    3. FUNCTIONALIZE-Once form has been mastered, progressively apply the learned skill(s) in more dynamic, resistive, and uncooperative drills and sparring.

In regards to proper punching body mechanics, check out "The Straight Right Hand" thread in the "Important/Useful Posts" sub-forum. Contained therein are posts from Thomas Tabin, Chris Nagel, and myself that delineate, in detail, the specific body mechanics involved in throwing the "perfect" straight right hand. From our descriptions, you can extrapolate and apply the given details to improve your form and mechanics on any other punch with slight modifications.

I hope this helps. Good luck (meaning when "preparation meets opportunity") and good training...

Take Care,
    Lito
    Last edited by StrictlySP; 05-07-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Drive with your hip,arming it will never develop full power

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everybody else has pretty much covered it, but one aspect of power is relaxation. This is really part of technique. It's very hard to execute a perfect punch with if you're body is too tense. You lose flow and fluidity. Pavlik is a good example of that. He is very relaxed in the ring and that allows him to both take punchs better and deliver harder shots.

It's like when you are golfing. If you tense up and try to hit a big drive, you are more likely to whiff and even if you connect, it won't go as far as if you stay loose. You're longest drives come off your most relaxed and fluid swings. Both acts, hitting a golf ball and throwing a punch, rely on channeling power from the legs and core into the hands, via proper technique. In both acts, you will not be as effective if rely on just your arms and don't learn to effficiently involve your whole body in the act. The more relaxed you are, the better you can execute the perfect technique.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post
    Everybody else has pretty much covered it, but one aspect of power is relaxation. This is really part of technique. It's very hard to execute a perfect punch with if you're body is too tense. You lose flow and fluidity. Pavlik is a good example of that. He is very relaxed in the ring and that allows him to both take punchs better and deliver harder shots.

It's like when you are golfing. If you tense up and try to hit a big drive, you are more likely to whiff and even if you connect, it won't go as far as if you stay loose. You're longest drives come off your most relaxed and fluid swings. Both acts, hitting a golf ball and throwing a punch, rely on channeling power from the legs and core into the hands, via proper technique. In both acts, you will not be as effective if rely on just your arms and don't learn to effficiently involve your whole body in the act. The more relaxed you are, the better you can execute the perfect technique.
    I like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by thecontender13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post

I like this.
    Thanks, NC. A follow up to this. When you are really gassed, it's harder and sometimes impossible to stay really relaxed. This is why big punchers with poor conditioning will often loose there power as a fight progresses. The better your overall conditioning, the better your overall power will be because you can stay looser, keep your breathing at a better rate, etc.

El Kabong Guest

Well there is a different method in training for speed + explosive power vs just speed or stamina or just power.

You have to do loads of reps with HEAVY weights and gas yourself out. When you're gased it's like Rozzy said, you lose your power but it's not from not being loose it's like doing burnouts in weightlifting you do a lift until you can't lift anymore AT ALL not just heavy weights but ANY weights.

The only way to help you out with stamina is to drain yourself of energy and then go back to work and throw your power punches and FOCUS it takes more focus and desire than anything else to maintain your power throughout a fight. You'll feel tired and you'll feel like you can't throw anymore but that's just your brain trying to trick you and your body trying to be lazy...don't give in. You have to train to be able to throw punches for 12 rounds anyway but you can train to throw whatever type of punch you want to for 12 rounds so if you want to land 12 rounds of bombs then train for it

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where is Scrap ?
    he will write down three words.

Your big toe.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Well there is a different method in training for speed + explosive power vs just speed or stamina or just power.

You have to do loads of reps with HEAVY weights and gas yourself out. When you're gased it's like Rozzy said, you lose your power but it's not from not being loose it's like doing burnouts in weightlifting you do a lift until you can't lift anymore AT ALL not just heavy weights but ANY weights.

The only way to help you out with stamina is to drain yourself of energy and then go back to work and throw your power punches and FOCUS it takes more focus and desire than anything else to maintain your power throughout a fight. You'll feel tired and you'll feel like you can't throw anymore but that's just your brain trying to trick you and your body trying to be lazy...don't give in. You have to train to be able to throw punches for 12 rounds anyway but you can train to throw whatever type of punch you want to for 12 rounds so if you want to land 12 rounds of bombs then train for it
    That's a great point and a overall a great post, about focusing on technique when you're drained and doing this tired helps build muscle memory. At least my trainer tell me so. You are also right that a good part of loss of power comes from muscle failure and burnout, but I do think the problem is compounded because at least for me, I get more tense when I'm trying to fight through burnout/approaching burnout. Even before I get the that stage, as fatigue builds, I have problems staying loose. Maybe I'm just mistaking fatigue for tension.

Thread Information