Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P4P bias towards American based fighters?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default P4P bias towards American based fighters?

Can someone tell me how many non-American based fighters have made The Ring P4P top 10 since 2000?

What has stopped current champions like Chris John, Hozumi Hasegawa and Kessler from entry?

Chris John has a win over current P4P no.2 Marquez. Now whether or not you think Marquez was "robbed," he officially LOST to John. MANY believe Hopkins was robbed against Taylor, this didn't stop Taylor from entering P4P. MANY believe Marquez beat Pacman twice.. this hasn't affected Pac's P4P standing. The OFFICIAL result is accepted.

John also has a win over Jose Rojas, a man that KO'd current P4P 10 ranked Celestino Caballero.

Help?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Default Re: P4P bias towards American based fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Can someone tell me how many non-American based fighters have made The Ring P4P top 10 since 2000?

What has stopped current champions like Chris John, Hozumi Hasegawa and Kessler from entry?

Chris John has a win over current P4P no.2 Marquez. Now whether or not you think Marquez was "robbed," he officially LOST to John. MANY believe Hopkins was robbed against Taylor, this didn't stop Taylor from entering P4P. MANY believe Marquez beat Pacman twice.. this hasn't affected Pac's P4P standing. The OFFICIAL result is accepted.

John also has a win over Jose Rojas, a man that KO'd current P4P 10 ranked Celestino Caballero.

Help?
    The Ring Magazine's Annual Ratings - Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Less then half of the list is everyone but Americans....

Pacquiao, Hatton, Vazquez, Munoz, Darchinyan, Doniare, etc are not American and they are all mainstays...Hell the liost changes every month...

Not too long ago the only Americans were Hopkins and Pavlik,
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

Pacquiao, Hatton, Vazquez, Munoz, Darchinyan, Doniare, etc are not American and they are all mainstays...Hell the liost changes every month...

No i said American based not specifically Americans.

Pac, Hatton, Vazquez etc.. have all fought in or beaten American based fighters.

I can't find a non-American based fighter in The Ring's top ten. This is understandable considering it is an American publication but still....

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

Help?
    Can you find a non-American based fighter from that?

For example.. Hatton beat Tsyzu in England but Tsyzu was an American based fighter and P4P no.3

I'm trying to find any non-American based fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac, Hatton, Vazquez etc.. have all fought in or beaten American based fighters.

I can't find a non-American based fighter in The Ring's top ten. This is understandable considering it is an American publication but still....
    Most fights happen in America at the higher levels,how could it be any other way

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post

Most fights happen in America at the higher levels,how could it be any other way
    Yes.. the majority of BIG fights happen in America where the glamour divisions are concerned.. but this shouldn't have such an over strong bias towards P4P rankings.

Glen Johnson entered the top ten after beating Roy Jones. Roy is undoubtedly a great fighter but was coming off a loss in under 6 minutes. Johnson had 9-10 losses on his record.

Pavlik entered the top 10 after beating Taylor. But Taylor had been DROPPED from the top 10 for poor performances. Pavlik has no better record than Abraham.

There's an inconsistency here, no?
    Last edited by Fenster; 02-08-2009 at 05:10 PM.

ICB Guest

Help?
    Can you find a non-American based fighter from that?

For example.. Hatton beat Tsyzu in England but Tsyzu was an American based fighter and P4P no.3

I'm trying to find any non-American based fighter.
    I gave you the link mate you search yourself im too lazy at the moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes.. the majority of BIG fights happen in America where the glamour divisions are concerned.. but this shouldn't have such an over strong bias towards P4P rankings.

Glen Johnson entered the top ten after beating Roy Jones. Roy is undoubtedly a great fighter but was coming off a loss in under 6 minutes. Johnson had 9-10 losses on his record.

Pavlik entered the top 10 after beating Taylor. But Taylor had ben DROPPED from the top 10 for poor performances. Pavlik has no better record than Abraham.

Pavlik also beat top rated at the time..Edison Miranda....

Taylor had 2 shitty performences against Junior Middleweights...Small ones at that
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

Pavlik entered the top 10 after beating Taylor. But Taylor had ben DROPPED from the top 10 for poor performances. Pavlik has no better record than Abraham.

Im pretty sure Jermain Taylor was still in the top 10 P4P.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik also beat top rated at the time..Edison Miranda....

Taylor had 2 shitty performences against Junior Middleweights...Small ones at that

That's the point, Daxx

Abraham had already beat Miranda.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im pretty sure Jermain Taylor was still in the top 10 P4P.
    He wasn't.

When you get the time look it up

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the record I thought Hopkins beat Taylor twice, & that Marquez won the 2nd fight & could easily have given him the first.

However, the fact is those were fights that could have gone the other way, whilst IMO the John-Marquez decision was just an outright hometown decision & I think this is why it has not helped John the same way.

I think the Ring P4P ratings are pretty good, yes sometimes they may bump a fighter too high on the basis of hype (Taylor, Pavlik), but I feel that overall they are pretty fair. Of the 3 fighters with a claim to P4P#1 since PBF retired (Pac,JMM,JC) only Pacquiao is actually based in the US for training & I think of last week's top 10, at most half are based in the US. The fact is the US is where the big money fights are so that's where they will fight out of. In addition, IMO you will generally get more competitive fights over there, as over here in Europe, there is a tendency for fighters to take it easy a bit in terms of their opposition sometimes.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the minority here,but I think p4p ranking are mostly subjective and a bit useless,I cant stand them.They often dispay the "out of sight,out of mind" mentality that many lower weight class fighters suffer from.Simply because we (American based media ?) have not seen a fighter on a regular basis,should that exclude them from consideration?P4P can be a popularity/familiarity contest.Chris john is making his stateside big show splash with Rocky "tons o' chances" Juarez next fight.A big win will put him in the conversation.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    For the record I thought Hopkins beat Taylor twice, & that Marquez won the 2nd fight & could easily have given him the first.

However, the fact is those were fights that could have gone the other way, whilst IMO the John-Marquez decision was just an outright hometown decision & I think this is why it has not helped John the same way.

I think the Ring P4P ratings are pretty good, yes sometimes they may bump a fighter too high on the basis of hype (Taylor, Pavlik), but I feel that overall they are pretty fair. Of the 3 fighters with a claim to P4P#1 since PBF retired (Pac,JMM,JC) only Pacquiao is actually based in the US for training & I think of last week's top 10, at most half are based in the US. The fact is the US is where the big money fights are so that's where they will fight out of. In addition, IMO you will generally get more competitive fights over there, as over here in Europe, there is a tendency for fighters to take it easy a bit in terms of their opposition sometimes.
    I agree.. the Ring ratings pretty much mirror the fans view.

The current top 10 have all fought in "world" title fights in America. The non-American based fighters fight there.

Fighters taking it "easy" in other countries? Don't know about that, have you got examples?

Thread Information