Was New York, Cali most recently to present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kessler/Ward in Oakland

So the venue is set... it will be in Andre's hometown in the Oracle which is a sweet arena. Only about an hour from my house so I am definitely going, but the main question is does this sway anyones decision now on the outcome of the fight?? I think Ward is going to win UD. He isn't going to KO him, I just think he is going to box circles around him, just my opinion though.

I might be looking at this with some bias cause I am rooting for Ward and I do think he will win the tournament. Can people agree if he does beat Kessler he instantly becomes the favorite to win??

Kessler vs Ward is set | Fightnews - Boxing News Updated 24/7
    Last edited by markb018; 09-15-2009 at 03:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kessler/Ward in Oakland

Abraham is my favorite because he has hands of cement and i don't think the other guys have enough speed or defensive ability to resist those hands of cement. Some of these guys are going to knocked out cold worse than ricky hatton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by markb018 View Post
    So the venue is set... it will be in Andre's hometown in the Oracle which is a sweet arena. Only about an hour from my house so I am definitely going, but the main question is does this sway anyones decision now on the outcome of the fight?? I think Ward is going to win UD. He isn't going to KO him, I just think he is going to box circles around him, just my opinion though.

I might be looking at this with some bias cause I am rooting for Ward and I do think he will win the tournament. Can people agree if he does beat Kessler he instantly becomes the favorite to win??

I beat you!!! My house is just 5-10 minutes away from the Arena, less than 6 miles . I hope they put Pinoy boxer in the undercard. and I hope i can get free tickets from my boss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by markb018 View Post

Kessler is more experienced and when Ward gets hit with a solid good shot it seems like he goes into shock to an extent(saw just a little of that last night in the 2nd round of the Ward-Pudwill fight last night), but Ward knew he didn't have a great opponent in front of him last night and it was no problem to go back to work after that. Kessler on the other hand will keep landing good shots on Ward every round. Ward has very good skills and handspeed but it's going to come down to how well Ward handles the pressure Kessler will put on him. I think Kessler will hurt Ward's workrate and will slow his confidence enough to win a clear UD or pehaps a late KO
    Super Middleweight also acknowledge as Kessler's Kingdom when Calzaghe has retire

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd agree that if Ward beats Kessler he would become a slight favourite for the tournament. But i don't see it happening, i can see Kessler stopping him. If Abraham wins his first fight in good style i think he will have the others feeling very nervous. I think Kessler's biggest worry is Abraham. Froch will also trouble him as their styles should create a real see-saw battle. If i had to bet on the fight of the tournament i would go for Kessler - Froch.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman89 View Post
    I'd agree that if Ward beats Kessler he would become a slight favourite for the tournament. But i don't see it happening, i can see Kessler stopping him. If Abraham wins his first fight in good style i think he will have the others feeling very nervous. I think Kessler's biggest worry is Abraham. Froch will also trouble him as their styles should create a real see-saw battle. If i had to bet on the fight of the tournament i would go for Kessler - Froch.
    That the fight is in Oakland helps Andre but doesn't hurt Kessler. Kessler is a world class boxer who for years has fought away from home. As a fighter, not much can be more intimidating than fighting Calzaghe in Wales or Mundine in Australia to a lesser extent. No doubt Ward will be Kessler's best opponent since Calzaghe, but that doesn't say much because the class of his recent opponents was very disappointing to say the least. Prior to the Calzaghe fight, Kessler was on a tear. He dominated Mundine, Beyer, and Andrade like nobody else has. Not to make much of it, but rumor also had it that he took the better of Bika in sparring. Now what? He fights Sartison, Haussler, and Perdomo. Something tells me he hasn't been the same since fighting Calzaghe. On the other hand, Ward hasn't fought anyone even near Kessler's level. Miranda was a good win, but Miranda had been broken by Pavlik by that point. Ward has the movement and speed to give Kessler problems. Kessler has the punching power and discipline to give Ward problems too. I think you have to favor Kessler in the fight, but not be surprised if Ward pulled the upset. And now that I consider it - that is how a competitive boxing match should be.

As for the most anticipated match of the tournament, I have to go with Kessler v. Abraham or Ward v. Dirrell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward, dirrell will get found out in these early matchups. But for all their athletic prowess and boxing ability they are jumping up 2-3 levels right from the get go and will find themselves in with a whole new level of opponent.

Dirrell has a chance against froch but ward however impressed i was with him saturday night despite the level of opposition is just gonna get worked over by kessler and taken out in 8.

FWIW I also strongly believe taylor will be too strong for AA and will stop him also!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    Ward, dirrell will get found out in these early matchups. But for all their athletic prowess and boxing ability they are jumping up 2-3 levels right from the get go and will find themselves in with a whole new level of opponent.

Dirrell has a chance against froch but ward however impressed i was with him saturday night despite the level of opposition is just gonna get worked over by kessler and taken out in 8.

FWIW I also strongly believe taylor will be too strong for AA and will stop him also!!
    Big statement! Taylor needs to fight for 12 rounds, which he has failed to do in the past. AA punches like a mule. Everyone who has stepped in the ring with him says he is the hardest puncher they have faced. Coupling that with Taylor's questionable chin is a set up for a crippling knockout.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He beat Edison Miranda with a broken chin. I can't say JT stopping him, although maybe a win on the cards/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

He beat Edison Miranda with a broken chin. I can't say JT stopping him, although maybe a win on the cards/
    No way Taylor stops Abraham, i have Abraham knocking him out late. Taylor has a chance to win on points but no way he knocks out Abraham.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who knows, could be Ward's big night. It wouldn't totally shock me. I do like what they've done with his career. He didn't need every single one of his fights to be on TV, he just needed to work on becoming a more solid fighter, which he definitely looks like he has become.

The problem Ward could have is he's probably the lightest puncher of the whole group. He's gonna have to fight a lot of rounds against good fighters in order to win this thing. But he's a skilled solid fighter which obviously can make up for power.

Abraham's complete lack of energy and activity could help Taylor big time. Granted the safe pick is Abraham late TKO but you never know, if Taylor fought a smart fight (why start now I know) he could maybe hold on late.

This tournament is awesome. End of story.
    Last edited by OumaFan; 09-15-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

No way Taylor stops Abraham, i have Abraham knocking him out late. Taylor has a chance to win on points but no way he knocks out Abraham.

I cant remember seeing abraham throw more than 15 power punches in a single round in the endless fights ive seen him in. And thats with 3rd tier opponents.

Ive said all the way through this thing write jermain off at your peril. Im confident he`ll be too big for a 160pound abraham on the night and AA`s inexperience at the very top level will cost him dear. Taylor will also be able to keep abrahams inside combinations at bay through many stages of the fight with those long arms.

Taylor in 10 - this is the pavlik-hopkins of 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant remember seeing abraham throw more than 15 power punches in a single round in the endless fights ive seen him in. And thats with 3rd tier opponents.

Ive said all the way through this thing write jermain off at your peril. Im confident he`ll be too big for a 160pound abraham on the night and AA`s inexperience at the very top level will cost him dear. Taylor will also be able to keep abrahams inside combinations at bay through many stages of the fight with those long arms.

We have to remember Taylor has a poor record at 168 and has fought most his career at 160, Abraham looked fine at 168 against Miranda when he smashed him to pieces, we will have to see but Taylor stopping him is one outcome I dont see.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor stopping him would be much more shocking than what Hopkins did to Pavlik. Size wise, they were both big 160's, Taylor's obviously taller but I don't see either guy being huge at the weight.

He could build up a points lead due to AA's inactivity and use that inactivity to rest a bit at times and maybe hold on late but stopping him is unlikely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have to remember Taylor has a poor record at 168 and has fought most his career at 160, Abraham looked fine at 168 against Miranda when he smashed him to pieces, we will have to see but Taylor stopping him is one outcome I dont see.

cant really compare miranda to jermain taylor though can you

Sure JTs record at 168 isnt great but he does have the natural physique of a 168 pounder and im quite sure come the night he`ll not only have a few inches height and reach advantage but he`ll also be the heavier guy by a couple of pounds.

This is unchartered territory for abraham and just like froch had to he will have to find that extra 10-15% thats never been there before!!

Thread Information