Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

TBH I really have no idea what is acceptable or not anymore. I've only spent a few weeks in the UK in the past seven plus years. I had heard about the Merry Christmas thing too, but surely people are still saying Merry Christmas. They do pretty much everywhere else in the world!

The UK seems to have turned a bit strange really having become a rather tedious and pointless nanny state where you cannot speak in fear of upsetting other people. Maybe that's an exaggeration, I don't know. I will be going home for a holiday in the summer, so I will be able to see for myself how bad it's become. Surely, it's just the media that makes it seem so ridiculous.
It's the media.
Political correctness is just so gay.

I only heard the expression "a person of colour" quite recently on TV and thought it quite bizarre. What's wrong with calling a dark skinned person "black"? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a spade is a spade. Language is an odd thing and I just don't see the point in getting so worked up about it. Some words will insult, but it's down to the individual to decide how they express themselves. You can't be dictated from above on how to use language. If a man wants to wear a T-Shirt with "Bugger the Queen" on the front, I really don't see the problem. It could say "Bugger miles" and I would still say fair enough. Not that I want to be buggered mind.
I agree to an extent but some form of political correctness is required imo.
For example Hatton the Hammer might believe that Bernard Manning telling a joke about a black man is ok because it's funny and harmless, wheras somebody else might take offence to it.

Choosing to take offence over something and being offended are two different things, and claiming to be offended when in effect you aren't, isn't right. But it's also not right to decide that something isn't offensive, just because you don't find it to be so.