Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can i learn to slip punches?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default how can i learn to slip punches?

any good methods? i dont know if you can on your own but methods either individual or with someone else would be appriciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: how can i learn to slip punches?

Shadow boxing, Pad work, Maze Ball Swinging rope , Rope tied to posts sliping in and out of it (In the ring) Loads mate

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry to bemore exact, im virtually broke and have a heavy bag, that is all lol so im thinking on your feet exercise traiining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, if all you have is a bag -- and no training partner -- all you can go is practice slipping, moving, and punching both with the bag and shadow boxing.

Clearly imagine a specific opponent, and SPECIFIC punches. Try to see them coming and slip to the imagined punch rather than just randomly.

If you have a partner you can do better by doing fire and catch drills, then substituting fire and slip.

He throws 2-4 punches or 30 seconds, while you slip them, then you throw. Partner doesn't try to "win" -- he just throws them straight at your head and you slip them.

At first he throws predictable punches, e.g., Left,right,left, right. Later he throws random choosing any four straight punches.

Later you can move and do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like above then If you have a bag imagine the bag can hit back. slip punches imagine the punches comming towards you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

look up the homemade slip bag. easy to make, cheap and effective. search it on youtube.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with all the suggestions. But at the end, you still need a partner to practice with. Start off slow and work your way into being able to slip and parry as a reflex. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What really helped me was a tennis ball hung from my garage ceiling by a string, i find it teaches good habits as you cant just hit it and stand infront of it you must either create an angle or slip, aswell what grey lion says i believe a partner to work with is best but if thats not an option the tennis ball is good and quite fun =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The tennis ball is a really good idea.

I had forgotten that we have a slip bag (or some name) tied like that. It's a small sand bag that you tie off at head leaven and then start it swinging back and forth. It's heavy enough that it's very mildly uncomfortable to get hit, but light enough it does no damage.

The idea of course is to slip back and forth, throwing punches while it is in it's swing and slipping when it gets near your head (front or back.)

Not hard to setup and cheap. Best is to have a fairly high ceiling or hang point so you get a pretty long swing without much input.

Look (now) at the related posts (or search for "Slip Bag") since that is causing the related posts to bring up articles about how to use this resource.

I just pasted in what was showing there (in Related Posts) for me so you would have something to search:

Last edited by HerbM; 05-28-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Slipping shots, isnt done with the Head, its done with the Feet. Move the Head without engaging the feet youre Off bBalance, and have to go back where you started, easy to read.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Slipping shots, isnt done with the Head, its done with the Feet. Move the Head without engaging the feet youre Off bBalance, and have to go back where you started, easy to read.
    That makes sense and fits my Systema training which emphasizes form (vertical, natural, balanced posture) generally avoiding 'kinks in the spine' or quickly restoring a vertical spine and balance if tactical necessity requires you to temporarily compromise your form.

My boxing coach however has us practice what he calls 'fading' -- bending at the waist, just far enough to take the head aside as the punch arrives, preferably outside so as to avoid moving the head in front of the opponent's other hand.

Mike Tyson at his height sure seemed to be able to use such movement to his advantages, and there have been boxers who specialize in bob and weave.

For myself, I have recently surprised myself by being able to use side to side head movement to avoid punches and deliver my own -- this is almost unnatural to me as my spinal mobility is somewhat reduced by arthritis and it is contrary to my nature and that Systema training mentioned above.

On the other hand, I have found that anyone who fades/slips predictably is pretty easy to track and hit, plus as you say Scrap it destroys their form/balance and they must (generally predictably) restore it to continue working effectively.

I don't know what the correct answer is, but it does seem worth discussing further and it is quite possible that the answer is to build this skill but use it judiciously.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When Tyson stopped using joints to move His Head He lost it. His Feet became wide with no mobilty, and lost movement and the inabilaty for His Oral and Ocular cavity to work as it should naturally. His greatest asset He lost, movement at speed.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you havent got a sparring partner you can tape a glove on to the end of a broom stick and get your misses to move around in jab fashion trying to land one on you.

They will enjoy that too. If they can get in ten clean shots in 3 minutes you'll do the sweeping for them.

Win /win
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with Scrap, well to a point as I don't really know what 'oral and ocular cavity' relates to (I thought I'd be more likely to find these on those 'other' forums that I visit!) Anyways, Tyson used to use slips to brilliant effect, mixing them in with various combinations to deliver crippling damage on opponents. All of his early work slipping was dictated by the legs, not the waist. As soon as his limited head movement was generated by waist movement, he started getting clipped with alarming regularity.

Set 2 simple rules:

1) The slips I perform will be technically perfect. I will assure technical perfection by using mirrors to ensure form is correct and the movement is as economical as possible, and
    2) I will slip before and after every shot/group of shots. Do this during shadow boxing, bagwork, pads and sparring.

Ropes tied across the rings are good, as was Wayne's suggestion of a swinging tennis ball on a string.

Good luck

Fran

PS - remember that slips and rolls are also excellent methods of 'feinting' an opponent to prompt a reaction...multi-purpose skill!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fran@myboxingcoach View Post
    ...Anyways, Tyson used to use slips to brilliant effect, mixing them in with various combinations to deliver crippling damage on opponents. All of his early work slipping was dictated by the legs, not the waist. As soon as his limited head movement was generated by waist movement, he started getting clipped with alarming regularity.

Would you please elaborate on the subject of 'legs' as opposed to waist in slipping?

If it is too difficult to explain in words, maybe this would be a good subject for your video clips on your excellent web site.

My spinal mobility is reduced, and my knees are really shot, but once I found out I could get advantage by using movement similar to Tyson's I started doing it.

I say similar, because I just started doing this due to some prompting from my sparring mates with no expectation it would help.

When I found I got hit less and could still get inside and hit (more) it became something worth doing. Prior to that, slipping was just something theoretical that I practiced (badly) because Coach aid to do so.

I also realized at this point that what I was doing was closer to Tyson's wild-looking weaving than to what we were practicing. [I am not saying Tyson did this wildly, but merely that the unpredictable nature of his movement looked wild and made him hard to hit when he entered.]

One of the differences in the Buster Douglas fight is that either Tyson was not 'doing it right' anymore or Douglas had it figured out -- Tyson couldn't reliably use this method to get inside.

I don't 'need' this skill much against other beginners, but I have been practicing it because it seems to be key to my success against the more skillful or experienced boxers in our gym.

For all I know I could be doing something terrible that will only show when working with even more skillful fighters (e.g., better than the best guys who are currently working with me.)

Thread Information