Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Dave 'Boy' McAuley

I remember thinking he was pretty awesome when I was a kid, but not sure whether with hindsight he was actually just a decent European level fighter. His 2 fights with Fidel Basa were quality. He was the 1st man to beat Duke Mckenzie, pretty sure he is the only man to give Baby Jake Matlala a ten count (I could be wrong about that though)

Anybody remember much about him?
    Last edited by BIG H; 09-15-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dave 'Boy' McAuley

I remember him well, used to watch his fights with my Dad. Those were the days when fights went out live on Saturday night BBC (if i remember right).

European level fighters are guys that never get past European level.

Any alphabet win (wbc, wba, wbo, ibf) is a guaranteed top 10 division ranking (these days). So anyone that wins a "world" title surely qualifies as world-class?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dave was one of the best British fighters of the modern era,his fights with Fidel Bassa were just amazing.
    He was a gentleman outside the ring and a terrier inside. His first fight with Fidel Bassa was one of the best ever fights i saw live.
    He was a far better fighter for me than the over protected Eubank etc. He battered Matlala who went on to beat some top fighters.
    REAL FIGHTER - REAL MAN.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Dave was one of the best British fighters of the modern era,his fights with Fidel Bassa were just amazing.
    He was a gentleman outside the ring and a terrier inside. His first fight with Fidel Bassa was one of the best ever fights i saw live.
    He was a far better fighter for me than the over protected Eubank etc. He battered Matlala who went on to beat some top fighters.
    REAL FIGHTER - REAL MAN.
    Kind of echos my thoughts mate
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember as a kid only 10 at most watching one of his fights on a cross channel ferry to Ireland.

I remember it was a great fight and a great atmosphear with all the people on the boat glued to the screen.

I think McAuley lost by stoppage around 12 or 13 but it was one of my early boxing child hood memories.
    Balls

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was 5ft 6 and a flyweight which was massive for his weight and the KO with the right hand of Jake was classic. He was knoecked down in the first round against Bassa and got up and fought brilliantly.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information