Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default So the Berto-Ortiz fight was at a catchweight

Berto, the WBC welterweight titleholder, and Ortiz have agreed to a catch weight of 145 pounds plus one, or in effect 146. That’s one pound below the welterweight limit.
    Breaking news: Berto, Ortiz reach agreement | RingTV

Just thought this was interesting. Since I didn't know it was at a catchweight. It was brought up on another board when 1 member said Ortiz was a real figther that didn't weight drain his opponents like 1 of boxing's stars, then someone pointed this out. Originally Ortiz side requested it to be at 143, but settled at 145+1. Berto vs Ortiz: Catch-Weight Request is Still an Issue - Boxing News

Discuss.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So the Berto-Ortiz fight was at a catchweight

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Berto, the WBC welterweight titleholder, and Ortiz have agreed to a catch weight of 145 pounds plus one, or in effect 146. That’s one pound below the welterweight limit.

Just thought this was interesting. Since I didn't know it was at a catchweight. It was brought up on another board when 1 member said Ortiz was a real figther that didn't weight drain his opponents like 1 of boxing's stars, then someone pointed this out. Originally Ortiz side requested it to be at 143, but settled at 145+1. Berto vs Ortiz: Catch-Weight Request is Still an Issue - Boxing News

Discuss.
    Catchweights have a long history in boxing. Henry Armstrong, Emile Griffith, Kid Gavilan, Ike Williams, Terry Norris, Barney Ross, Joe Gans and a bunch of other HOFers fought in catchweight fights.

It's a legitimate way for two guys of different sizes to meet while sharing the burden. People getting upset about this baffle me. They all seem to want the bigger guy to have all the advantages.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think 1 pound is a big difference. In actuallity it was probably Ortiz who was a little more weight drained. Berto weighed in at 145.5 and rehydrated to 156, Ortiz weighed 146 and rehydrated to 161.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't think it mattered all that much. Ortiz always seems a natural welter growing. Not like we have 8 divisions where its clear anymore so it gets to be a hodge podge. Belts at stake another thing but they seems to becoming less and less significant.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Don't think it mattered all that much. Ortiz always seems a natural welter growing. Not like we have 8 divisions where its clear anymore so it gets to be a hodge podge. Belts at stake another thing but they seems to becoming less and less significant.
    I discovered this info while browsing on another forum. Some guys gets slammed in the sport for winning titles at catchweights, other guys gets excused or praised. That's the difference.

These are quotes from the other forum. And it sums it up perfectly with this inconsistency.

Maybe U should read that again.Berto's team went after Ortiz,Ortiz demanded the catchweight if he were to fight.But Berto went after Ortiz is my point & that's exactly what I said,U misread homey.

That isn't the same as team Pacman asking to fight Cotto & at a catchweight.Team Pacman demanded Cotto & the catchweight.Berto's team went looking for Ortiz & Ortiz demanded the catchweight to fight.
    That's extremely hypocritical. If you hate Pacquiao winning a WW title at a catchweight, you should have just as big a problem with Ortiz winning a WW title at a catchweight.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post

Discuss.
    Catchweights have a long history in boxing. Henry Armstrong, Emile Griffith, Kid Gavilan, Ike Williams, Terry Norris, Barney Ross, Joe Gans and a bunch of other HOFers fought in catchweight fights.

It's a legitimate way for two guys of different sizes to meet while sharing the burden. People getting upset about this baffle me. They all seem to want the bigger guy to have all the advantages.
    Have all the catch weights you want but not for titles. You think you are tough enough or good enough to move up and beat a guy then do it. Theirs already 17 divisions. The irony is this is an era where you have welters fighting at 135, lightweights fighting at 126 and 154/60 pounders fighting at welter and we need catch weights? Greb never asked anyone for a catch weight and neither did Langford.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I discovered this info while browsing on another forum. Some guys gets slammed in the sport for winning titles at catchweights, other guys gets excused or praised. That's the difference.

These are quotes from the other forum. And it sums it up perfectly with this inconsistency.

Maybe U should read that again.Berto's team went after Ortiz,Ortiz demanded the catchweight if he were to fight.But Berto went after Ortiz is my point & that's exactly what I said,U misread homey.

That isn't the same as team Pacman asking to fight Cotto & at a catchweight.Team Pacman demanded Cotto & the catchweight.Berto's team went looking for Ortiz & Ortiz demanded the catchweight to fight.
    That's extremely hypocritical. If you hate Pacquiao winning a WW title at a catchweight, you should have just as big a problem with Ortiz winning a WW title at a catchweight.
    Hey I hear you man. Your right on consistency. I think its more incumbent on the sanctioning body to take charge of its trinket and who is ruled fit to meet for "Championship". Ironically for Berto trinket which was given in a farce of a match up. They strip guys on the scale often, one way title fight because of weight etc. If they want to bend and bow to a network (?) or entertain the fighters making rules for them its just a testament to how irrelevant they are. One round into that fight the shiny pos the fighter held over his head at the end was an after thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If there is one thing that keeps poping up on this form that makes me want to stop coming here is all this catch weight BS.

GET OVER IT!!! Learn some bloody boxing history. Ever since there has been weight classes fighters have been moving all over weight divisions. Weights for divisions have moved around as well. This is such a stupid issue.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight at that weight or don't. Real simple.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Exactly. I had no idea this fight was at a catchweight, but now that I know I think negatively. Either make the weight or else stay in your weight class. I don't like it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post

Discuss.

Have all the catch weights you want but not for titles. You think you are tough enough or good enough to move up and beat a guy then do it. Theirs already 17 divisions. The irony is this is an era where you have welters fighting at 135, lightweights fighting at 126 and 154/60 pounders fighting at welter and we need catch weights? Greb never asked anyone for a catch weight and neither did Langford.
    I hear ya. I do. But I have a different take. If a champ wants to sign a contract that requires a catchweight to fight a smaller man for the crown? I have no problem with that. What a 147 champ cannot do and remain legit is to deny a title crack to a guy who barely makes 147 unless it is at a catchweight. Of course since of the 90+ beltholders today only 5-6 are legit champions? I don't sweat this very often.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's clear people have to find fault in anything with guys like Pacquiao, and especially on this fight and in the media there are guys they are try to credit with anything. Pacquiao has become an icon where he has to do whats right everyone's eyes to make anyone besides his fans happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Exactly. I had no idea this fight was at a catchweight, but now that I know I think negatively. Either make the weight or else stay in your weight class. I don't like it.
    So even thou this was a great fight you now don't like it because after you found out it was fought at a catch weight? Interesting.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are other boxing forums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ortiz is actually the bigger man he weighed in at 161 on the night much bigger than Berto.

Thread Information