Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default New Boxing Glove Idea, Let me hear your thoughts

Hey guys. So for a while now I've been thinking of a new type of boxing glove product and I finally started to do some real research into it. the product is a glove that incorporates technology to provide easy statistics measurement during training. I'd really appreciate getting some feedback from some actual boxers or just people who box casually/for fitness. If you want to learn more about it/help me out, please take my survey:

Survey | Qualtrics Survey Software

If you have any questions about the product or want to talk about it further let me know.

Thank you in advance to those who fill it out!

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New Boxing Glove Idea, Let me hear your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by TruImpact View Post
    Hey guys. So for a while now I've been thinking of a new type of boxing glove product and I finally started to do some real research into it. the product is a glove that incorporates technology to provide easy statistics measurement during training. I'd really appreciate getting some feedback from some actual boxers or just people who box casually/for fitness. If you want to learn more about it/help me out, please take my survey:

Survey | Qualtrics Survey Software

If you have any questions about the product or want to talk about it further let me know.

Thank you in advance to those who fill it out!
    Done.

This would be a good tool for measuring fitness progress, like how many punches a round you can throw. I wouldnt care less about my heart rate or calories burned and any oth more serious boxers rather than someone training for fitness wouldnt care either. A fighter only wants to know how many punches they can throw. I dont think a power measurment would be any good either as it would mean some kind of sensor in the front of the glove and would either break with use, get dislodged or uncomfortable. All it needs is something you can look at after to see what your performance was over the different rounds you did on the bags.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a good idea

The problem i have with it is i spend about £30 a time on gloves, they are decent quality, usually vip and that is at a cheaper rate than retail

The last set i bought about 6 months ago and they are knackered, i am long over due a new pair

So say gloves last 6 months, is it practical to replace these every 6 months? Would i pay double the amont that regularly to find out how many punches i am throwing?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Its a good idea

The problem i have with it is i spend about £30 a time on gloves, they are decent quality, usually vip and that is at a cheaper rate than retail

The last set i bought about 6 months ago and they are knackered, i am long over due a new pair

So say gloves last 6 months, is it practical to replace these every 6 months? Would i pay double the amont that regularly to find out how many punches i am throwing?
    I haven't time to read the link today ,but from what you say there, it would be great if a slip on device could be made that can be moved from one set of gloves to the next.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Its a good idea

Try buying a pair of cleto reyes gloves there the best ive ever had mine are about 4 years old not used them in about a year, but the 3 years before that i used them at least 4 times a week and they still have plenty of life left in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I haven't time to read the link today ,but from what you say there, it would be great if a slip on device could be made that can be moved from one set of gloves to the next.
    Yeah I had considered something like this as well, I may look more into that. To address the durability issue, I would hope to make a quality glove that would last years rather than months as stated above. There is always the fragility of the technology in the glove to consider, but if it had no force sensor then it should be fairly durable and still able to track the number of punches thrown/missed, heart rate, and calories.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a great idea and personally, I believe that this technonogy integration is in par with what the future reserves. You should do both, or consider building gloves with other more durable material like kevlar or something similar. If it's not for fighting but for training and statistics, there is no reasons why you could use something else than leather and that couldn't be as good to practice
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reyes and everlast does it for me and ill probably never change it to anything else..

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    It's a great idea and personally, I believe that this technonogy integration is in par with what the future reserves. You should do both, or consider building gloves with other more durable material like kevlar or something similar. If it's not for fighting but for training and statistics, there is no reasons why you could use something else than leather and that couldn't be as good to practice
    Its not the outside material but the inside padding that goes. Once that has separated away from the impact area then the sensor would have either moved with it or wont last much longer. A training glove takes more of a beating than a sparring or competition glove.

I think the slip on counter would be a better idea. If it fits the wrist it would also fit the ankle so could have dual uses.

If it had an alarm on an interval timer like the gymboss that would be good. I wouldnt worry about making a heart rate monitor, maybe that could come in on a "deluxe" model later on? If the software is kept simple, like punch counter and interval timer, then the cost could stay down.
    Last edited by ross; 11-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't use it everyday... More like once a month as a way of measuring performance. That would help durability, training increases do not happen daily - so why use it daily?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i prefer Grant gloves, Everlast IMO feel a bit stiff

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

leave the accelerometer in the gloves and the sensor and have it tether to your ipod or something wirelessly .. like the nike sneakers. The LED screen can become a bit of a hindrance, especially when it comes to wiping sweat and etc. The measurement devices (impact measurer, accelerometer) will probably wear out before the reporting device (LED). So it doesn't make sense to throw one away when you the other breaks. Hand the led on the bag and use blue tooth to send the info.

Also plan for a way to omit the reporting of accidental contact. Many fighters develop habits like tapping their gloves together ..or raises a glove to their brow that could register and throw off your stats.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey guys, First off I'd like to say thanks so much for your feedback, its definitely helped me get a better grasp on a customer's thoughts on the product.

A quick question:
    Is anyone interested in participating in one of our online focus groups? It would only take 30 minutes of your time to talk to my team about your boxing habits and thoughts about our product (whether or not you like it, how you would change it, etc).
    Our WebEx session will be this Sunday Nov. 13th from 2-2:30pm EST. Please email me at aleeza@bu.edu OR reply to the thread if you're interested.

Thread Information