Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why wasn't Francisco Leal given oxygen immediately?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why wasn't Francisco Leal given oxygen immediately?

Not sure who in the UK saw the recent fight but Leal was hospitalized last year after a fight and many think his career should have ended after that but he had around 5 more fights lastly a tough one against Hirales that ended his life.
    When Froch ko'd Magee in London the paramedics were straight in with Oxygen in seconds and they do a top top job at UK fights.
    The sight of the referee holding Leals head up for him with his eyes clearly showing he was in serious serious trouble and slumped against the ringpost was unbelievable!!!
    The guy collapsed and looked totally fucked but there seemed no urgency at all by the promoters / medical staff to do anything.

Then the stretcher came in and still with no oxygen they took him away.

I thought it was vital to use O2 immedialtely for the safety of any fighter in trouble and also to have a paramedic actually fully equipped at ringside?

Is this not he case in Mexico?

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why wasn't Francisco Leal given oxygen immediately?

The KO / aftermath for those yet to see it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x3p-9kP...%3Dx3p-9kPDv54

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The referee seemed to be the only one who gave a flying fuck. The guy who happened to have a stethoscope and small torch but who probably wasn't a doctor if anything made things worse by prolonging his exit. Oxygen straight on and out of there. I'm no doctor but clearly he was a bit beyond a tap of the arm and an 'alright mate?'

RIP
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One big problem in boxing is still that you can suffer a brain injury in one country and not be allowed to fight then cross the border and its as if it never happened?
    There should be one clear rule, some continuity and a bit of common used that once you suffer a brain injury its over for you as a fighter in any country .

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I made a thread about that fight as well, didn't even notice he wasn't given oxygen after. From what I read he probably shouldn't even have been cleared to fight as he left the ring in a similar way not long before I'd imagine it's a lot easier to pass the medicals in Mexico, and obviously they don't have the same kind of care ringside. It's true of a lot of countries, Thailand still has a lot of deaths in boxing and I'm sure there are others. All kinds of guys who should never be in a pro ring will get badly hurt for peanuts if there isn't a proper commission of some kind.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Not sure who in the UK saw the recent fight but Leal was hospitalized last year after a fight and many think his career should have ended after that but he had around 5 more fights lastly a tough one against Hirales that ended his life.
    When Froch ko'd Magee in London the paramedics were straight in with Oxygen in seconds and they do a top top job at UK fights.
    The sight of the referee holding Leals head up for him with his eyes clearly showing he was in serious serious trouble and slumped against the ringpost was unbelievable!!!
    The guy collapsed and looked totally fucked but there seemed no urgency at all by the promoters / medical staff to do anything.

Then the stretcher came in and still with no oxygen they took him away.

I thought it was vital to use O2 immedialtely for the safety of any fighter in trouble and also to have a paramedic actually fully equipped at ringside?

Is this not he case in Mexico?

Thoughts?
    Boxing, unfortunately, has no real universal standard. O2 is a luxury in some places. In others, a stretcher is a luxury as is a trained medical staff in place who's concentration isn't on plastic surgery or with lacerations.

If ever there was a time for the major org's to be useful in this endeavour to make fighters more safe is with a standardized medical response system, one that is the same in Manilla, Vegas, Macao or London.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information