Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Lampley of all people,rips Floyd a new one over abuse!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jim Lampley of all people,rips Floyd a new one over abuse!

Read it here:
    Jim Lampley rips Mayweather on "The Fight Game," and stands by his criticism - Bad Left Hook

Jim Lampley rips Mayweather on "The Fight Game," and stands by his criticism

By Wil Esco on Sep 18 2014, 9:15a 66

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Longtime HBO Boxing commentator, Jim Lampley, didn't hold back when offering his opinion on Floyd Mayweather during the latest episode of The Fight Game.

Jim Lampley has been a longtime fixture on HBO's boxing telecast over the years, and for the start of this season's "The Fight Game," he made it a point to take aim at boxing's top pound-for-pound fighter. Mayweather's "retirement from boxing can not come a moment too soon," said HBO's Jim Lampley during Tuesday night's closing comments. If you thought that was perhaps a reference to the dull performance he put on last Saturday, it wasn't. Here are his comments in its entirety:

"Floyd Mayweather long ago made clear that he isn't trying to please the entire available audience, and through the concentrated money harvest of pay-per-view distribution, he has convincingly established that he can do it his way, generate a kind of appeal not all of us will ever understand, and attract an income that out-distances those of polite golfers and friendly, smiling auto racers. Some would say, ‘more power to him.'

"But if the goal is to push the limits of public taste to the point where the overwhelming preponderance of consumers simply wash their hands and want nothing to do with him or his fights, his blithe comment to the effect that the NFL was over-reacting to a videotape by suspending Ray Rice was probably a pretty good start. And his garbled apology did little to remove the stench.

"This was the absolute height of heaving a rock out of a glass house. And if he honestly thinks that he can offer that kind of love to Rice without offending significant numbers of fans and observers, he's wrong. The fact is, unbeaten record or not, consummate skill, notwithstanding, Floyd Mayweather is an often aggressively distasteful human being whose behaviors are a blight on the boxing landscape.

"He also said, last week, he will retire from the ring after the completion of his six-fight CBS/Showtime contract. And, in responding to the result of his most recent win, earlier in the show, we ignored that, because it won't happen. But if it did, no damage would accrue to boxing. Fact is, for the betterment of boxing's image, Floyd Mayweather's retirement can not come a moment too soon."

These comments aren't exactly groundbreaking news, many have routinely accused Mayweather of being a terrible person on this very site. I do wonder, however, if these comments are not somewhat opportunistic. If Mayweather was still affiliated with HBO, instead of leaving them for rival Showtime, would they have still openly lambasted him on their network? Somehow I think not; but that's not to say it isn't fair and well-deserved criticism.

"I just feel that it's no longer necessary, or shouldn't be necessary and probably never was necessary to tiptoe around this, and pretend that we're going to bring down the whole facade if somebody openly criticizes the guy who is seen as the No. 1 fighter. The show says it all. He's the No. 1 fighter, and we've acknowledged that," said Lampley.

"But what he does out of the ring is not helpful to the image of the sport, and, to a certain degree, what he does in the ring is not helpful to the image of the sport. I don't think that the whole building is going to fall down if somebody pulls out a brick. So I pulled out a brick, and other people can do the same. As reporters who love the sport, we ought to stick up for it."

The very comments of it no longer being necessary to tiptoe around Mayweather's out of the ring behavior directly alludes to the question above that if it was simply about journalistic integrity, they would have been calling out Mayweather for quite some time now, not just now that he's no longer with thei company. When he was making HBO a ton of money, they were more than happy to skirt the out-of-the-ring issues.

Small_badlefthook.com.minimal
    More from Bad Left Hook
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Jim Lampley of all people,rips Floyd a new one over abuse!

Wow. Some of that actually reads as though you could have posted it damaja, how dramatic!

Lampleys not going to say anything that isn't negative about Floyd since he left HBO, and also obviously wouldn't be saying this if he hadn't. He has also had a case or two of domestic violence against if, if I'm not mistaken. The guy is a phony cheerleader, he's creepy as fuck and doesn't actually know anything in my opinion.

Fighters who go all out to please the fans are the likes of Juanma Lopez and Brandon Rios. Some people are content to just watch elite guys go out and box, win to the best of their ability without inviting concussions their way. I hoped for a better fight in the Maidana rematch as well, and I don't like Floyd, but he is still a supreme boxer so I'm watching until that isn't the case or he chooses to retire. Anyone who thinks boxing is better served with him gone; works for a rival network to showtime, or is an idiot.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Wow. Some of that actually reads as though you could have posted it damaja, how dramatic!

Lampleys not going to say anything that isn't negative about Floyd since he left HBO, and also obviously wouldn't be saying this if he hadn't. He has also had a case or two of domestic violence against if, if I'm not mistaken. The guy is a phony cheerleader, he's creepy as fuck and doesn't actually know anything in my opinion.

Fighters who go all out to please the fans are the likes of Juanma Lopez and Brandon Rios. Some people are content to just watch elite guys go out and box, win to the best of their ability without inviting concussions their way. I hoped for a better fight in the Maidana rematch as well, and I don't like Floyd, but he is still a supreme boxer so I'm watching until that isn't the case or he chooses to retire. Anyone who thinks boxing is better served with him gone; works for a rival network to showtime, or is an idiot.
    Everyone says everyone else knows nothing about boxing. It's becoming an overused statement of false fact.

Of course Jim is slamming the competition. Has little to do with Mayweather, but has a lot to do with Shwotime's use of Mayweather.

Mayweather was a dirty little prick before he left for Showtime. This we know. HBO tried to line up harder fights for him, but Showtime came to the rescue with that SuperBowl money they got from CBS and the rest is history...

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's angry that Floyd said the NFL overreacted in a case where a woman beater was cut from the team and suspended indefinitely. As a guy who was charged with beating a woman himself, would he have been OK with losing his HBO gig and being blackballed from the business? If he was fired, would he have not felt that HBO overreacted? Him, Floyd and Ray Rice are in the same boat.

Also, he says that Floyd pushes the boundaries of good taste to the point where most people wash their hands of him and want nothing to do with his fights... yet Floyd is the highest grosser in the history of boxing. The people he's putting off are obviously not the ones shelling out money for PPV and tickets.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    He's angry that Floyd said the NFL overreacted in a case where a woman beater was cut from the team and suspended indefinitely. As a guy who was charged with beating a woman himself, would he have been OK with losing his HBO gig and being blackballed from the business? If he was fired, would he have not felt that HBO overreacted? Him, Floyd and Ray Rice are in the same boat.

Also, he says that Floyd pushes the boundaries of good taste to the point where most people wash their hands of him and want nothing to do with his fights... yet Floyd is the highest grosser in the history of boxing. The people he's putting off are obviously not the ones shelling out money for PPV and tickets.
    It's funny that Floyd would say anything about the NFL and their handling of any matter when the NFL is the reason he was able to get the money from Showtime he wanted.

Floyd got his contract based on SuperBowl money... Showtime is a part of CBS.

Floyd has also been slamming the Nevada State Athletic commission as well, particularly with the events leading up to Maidana 2.

Floyd is biting the hands that fed him. But, what do we expect when we see what he done to DeLahoya with Schaeffer and Haymon.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd's comments about the NFL situation were quite blizzard, he didn't say anything was wrong, just that other things were worse. It was not like he was speaking out against domestic violence, in a strange way he was minimizing it. That could have been crafted for ppv sales. I agree with what Lampley says to a point unless p4p is right when he says Lampley has domestic abuse in his past which continues the absurdity of the whole matter.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad to see Lampley has the courage to say what he thinks. It's unexpected and good to see.
    Accusing Lampley of being opportunistic is a weak attempt to stifle and discredit what he is saying.
    Good for Lampley, I'll have to rethink my opinion of him.

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How does CBS fit into this? Does Floyd appear on the channel?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    How does CBS fit into this? Does Floyd appear on the channel?
    CBS owns Showtime, or at least a big stake in it

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

Everyone says everyone else knows nothing about boxing. It's becoming an overused statement of false fact.

Of course Jim is slamming the competition. Has little to do with Mayweather, but has a lot to do with Shwotime's use of Mayweather.

Mayweather was a dirty little prick before he left for Showtime. This we know. HBO tried to line up harder fights for him, but Showtime came to the rescue with that SuperBowl money they got from CBS and the rest is history...
    Let me explain this to you because so many seem uneducated about how television works. And what you say has absolutely nothing to do with how television works. So first you should ignore whoever is giving you the gibberish you spout.

Showtime neither makes large sums from PPV or loses large sums from PPV because their percentage of a PPV is so small. PPVs are nearly irrelevant. The next thing that is nearly irrelevant is ratings. Because it 's a subscription channel. What matters is subscriptions. Showtime doesn't need NFL CBS money. Look at the subscriptions!!! Showtime makes huge gains on HBO year after year. People don't get that the Mayweather deal has been a boon for Showtime because they don 't understand the f'n business model. People should not speak of what they don't know but this is the internet so you get morons speaking of ratings on a subscription channel(laughably stupid) or huge losses on a PPV(also laughably stupid). This is the way, everyone has an opinion and 99% of them don 't know what they are talking about.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Glad to see Lampley has the courage to say what he thinks.
    I don't know how brave it is, considering Lampley no longer has any professional connection to Floyd now that Floyd has jumped to Showtime.

Brave would have been saying this shit while Floyd was still a HBO cash-cow. All Lampley is doing is attacking a defector. What does he stand to lose by criticizing Floyd? Nothing really.

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know how brave it is, considering Lampley no longer has any professional connection to Floyd now that Floyd has jumped to Showtime.

Brave would have been saying this shit while Floyd was still a HBO cash-cow. All Lampley is doing is attacking a defector. What does he stand to lose by criticizing Floyd? Nothing really.
    That was what I was thinking. Lampley is only now saying it where was he when Floyd was imprisoned. At least Merchant had a go at Floyd to his face.

CBS should be allowed to show the fight on their channel.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

Let me explain this to you because so many seem uneducated about how television works. And what you say has absolutely nothing to do with how television works. So first you should ignore whoever is giving you the gibberish you spout.

Showtime neither makes large sums from PPV or loses large sums from PPV because their percentage of a PPV is so small. PPVs are nearly irrelevant. The next thing that is nearly irrelevant is ratings. Because it 's a subscription channel. What matters is subscriptions. Showtime doesn't need NFL CBS money. Look at the subscriptions!!! Showtime makes huge gains on HBO year after year. People don't get that the Mayweather deal has been a boon for Showtime because they don 't understand the f'n business model. People should not speak of what they don't know but this is the internet so you get morons speaking of ratings on a subscription channel(laughably stupid) or huge losses on a PPV(also laughably stupid). This is the way, everyone has an opinion and 99% of them don 't know what they are talking about.
    Ron, Nielsen ratings matter not to Showtime but they do analyze them for comparison. Of course subscriptions are the main drive on a pay network. The one error you made was minimizing the importance of the ppv numbers to Showtime. It was a tremendous contract they gave Floyd and they rely on those ppv revenue. If it was strictly subscription issue they wouldn't need to put the fight on ppv which I actually think would be a good way to go. CBS has been in the financial crapper for a time, I haven't checked out their stock recently.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All Lampley said was what he believes.

You and I are bullshitting about why.

The fact is, the safest thing for
    Lampley would have been to say nothing about his disapproval of Floyd.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fact is, the safest thing for
    Lampley would have been to say nothing about his disapproval of Floyd.
    Why is that safe though? What does he have to lose?

To me it's like a Coke employee talking shit about Pepsi...

There's no financial or professional backlash for him because Floyd isn't with HBO and never will be again.

There's no public backlash because Floyd is so unpopular most people will agree with you if you bash Floyd.

Where's the bravery?

Thread Information