Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Charlie Mingus

I think Bowie has a Mingus album on his favorite vinyl albums list along with the Velvets, Syd Barrett and others. Disparate artists and you wouldn't just say 'This is one type of music, it is superior to other music'. Then with the Davies and Costello observations you can link 60's pop and punk to jazz as well. That's quite interesting seeing how things connect like that. I actually don't mind Barrett era Floyd as his writing is odd and interesting.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

It is an interesting thing to debate. I gave the example of diamonds and gold as I think you can enjoy different types of music that are of the finest vintage in their fields, but when it comes to a band like Pink Floyd I don't like them so my diamonds and gold analogy somewhat goes out of the window. I can see that it is technically well made, but when I look into the core it seems empty. That's where I can appreciate the vibrancy and life of some punk rock. It's a kick in the face to the notion that being well versed in your instrument gives you direct ascendancy to the Gods.

I was listening to The Kinks Village Green the other day and that's a song that does touch me. It is well crafted, melodic and the lyrics are so well written. The music and words are so English. They invoke a nostalgia for another era, another time. Images of 'morning dew' and 'chuch steeples' and the lost girl 'Daisy' who stays in the village and marries Tom the grocer boy. I am a sucker for a really well crafted song, with thoughtful words, and melody. Good musicianship is a plus, but it isn't the be all and end all as proven by Pink Floyd.

I used to be more of a snob when I was younger, but I am not out to bash anyones music really. If people like Pink Floyd, I can at least respect it. The younger me would sneer, but I have become much more tolerant. Doesn't mean I like everything though, I am quite picky, and feel comfortable with the music that speaks to me and that I feel. I'm not all that into jazz either, but agains fair play to those that do. I probably haven't given it enough time.

Ah yes, I do enjoy the Kinks very much! "Something Else by the Kinks" is one of my favourite albums from that period TBH.

I really hate "The Wall" and I think that song "Another Brick in the Wall" sucks! In fact I hate "rock operas" HAHAHA

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    It's a shame how certain posters took a beautiful thread about a jazz legend and turned it into yet another bitch fest. I guess that's all certain people have in their lives is some conflict on a forum. They feel like they're really moving the needle of life if they post a bunch of lame insults and unlistenable punk rock in a jazz thread.

Guys if I'm craving attention, I'll spend some time with my wife, kids or friends. I don't come onto a forum and try to antagonize people just so they'll pay attention to me. A certain poster really needs to look in the mirror and re-evaluate his life
    Take a deep breath. If you are going to open a thread with stupid comments like
    Loud, aggressive music is good in small doses, but if you indulge too much it will rot your brain, corrupt your palate and turn you into a lazy communist (especially if you listen to too much punk rock).

Then don't be so surprised when not everybody agrees with you. Maybe that is what too much winning does to you. I totally understand that you don't really seem to have any sense of humour and are a bit serious for such a young guy but you also seem to have a very selective memory like your mentor Brockton. When your @mention a specific poster in your third post

I think @Beanz would like Charles Mingus, being such a tough guy!

Then you can hardly moan if I then choose to post in it. I don't crave conflict or attention and the fact that I choose not to post that much in here anymore would for most people indicate that it certainly is not all I have in my life. There seems to be an awful lot of projection in your posts and I don't quite know where the hostility is coming from. Even at your age, while like most young men I could be a right prick, I don't think I was as obnoxious as you are suggesting I am now and would certainly not have been arrogant enough to tell another poster to look in the mirror and re-evaluate their life.

So maybe we can start again and try to find some common ground.

I like all kinds of music. When it is such a big part of your professional life as it has and continues to be for me then that goes without saying. You wouldn't know but the veteran posters here who know me would realise this, so forgive me if the humour was somewhat lost on you. I have shot the breeze many times with P4PKing and other posters on Oscar Peterson and Miles Davis and old blues legends like Odetta, klezmar and folk music and have tried for many years to try and get Miles to enjoy and appreciate Jazz and black music generally. That said, Punk is not about not being able to play your instruments and just being angry. It's not even just about music, it has influenced filmmaking, photography, fashion,politics etc. If it were that vacuous then the veterans, some of whom are now in their 70's and still writing, gigging and recording, would have moved on years ago. Two of the most memorable gigs I covered last year were those played by veteran punk or Ska bands that had everyone from kids in their twenties to punk in their sixties packed wall to wall in venues because the songwriting and vitality of their material still stands up today.

so here moving on from Miles post is Ray Davies form the Kinks on Mingus

Beanz all I will say to you is try to broaden your horizons and listen to some Mingus.

If that's not your style, try the Weather Report's "Heavy Weather" if you're more of a fusion guy.

Gandalf seems to be very well versed in the subject of music, because he's been broadening his horizons since very early due to his rough upbringing.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a shame how certain posters took a beautiful thread about a jazz legend and turned it into yet another bitch fest. I guess that's all certain people have in their lives is some conflict on a forum. They feel like they're really moving the needle of life if they post a bunch of lame insults and unlistenable punk rock in a jazz thread.

Guys if I'm craving attention, I'll spend some time with my wife, kids or friends. I don't come onto a forum and try to antagonize people just so they'll pay attention to me. A certain poster really needs to look in the mirror and re-evaluate his life
    Take a deep breath. If you are going to open a thread with stupid comments like
    Loud, aggressive music is good in small doses, but if you indulge too much it will rot your brain, corrupt your palate and turn you into a lazy communist (especially if you listen to too much punk rock).

Then don't be so surprised when not everybody agrees with you. Maybe that is what too much winning does to you. I totally understand that you don't really seem to have any sense of humour and are a bit serious for such a young guy but you also seem to have a very selective memory like your mentor Brockton. When your @mention a specific poster in your third post

I think @Beanz would like Charles Mingus, being such a tough guy!

Then you can hardly moan if I then choose to post in it. I don't crave conflict or attention and the fact that I choose not to post that much in here anymore would for most people indicate that it certainly is not all I have in my life. There seems to be an awful lot of projection in your posts and I don't quite know where the hostility is coming from. Even at your age, while like most young men I could be a right prick, I don't think I was as obnoxious as you are suggesting I am now and would certainly not have been arrogant enough to tell another poster to look in the mirror and re-evaluate their life.

So maybe we can start again and try to find some common ground.

I like all kinds of music. When it is such a big part of your professional life as it has and continues to be for me then that goes without saying. You wouldn't know but the veteran posters here who know me would realise this, so forgive me if the humour was somewhat lost on you. I have shot the breeze many times with P4PKing and other posters on Oscar Peterson and Miles Davis and old blues legends like Odetta, klezmar and folk music and have tried for many years to try and get Miles to enjoy and appreciate Jazz and black music generally. That said, Punk is not about not being able to play your instruments and just being angry. It's not even just about music, it has influenced filmmaking, photography, fashion,politics etc. If it were that vacuous then the veterans, some of whom are now in their 70's and still writing, gigging and recording, would have moved on years ago. Two of the most memorable gigs I covered last year were those played by veteran punk or Ska bands that had everyone from kids in their twenties to punk in their sixties packed wall to wall in venues because the songwriting and vitality of their material still stands up today.

so here moving on from Miles post is Ray Davies form the Kinks on Mingus

Beanz all I will say to you is try to broaden your horizons and listen to some Mingus.

If that's not your style, try the Weather Report's "Heavy Weather" if you're more of a fusion guy.

Gandalf seems to be very well versed in the subject of music, because he's been broadening his horizons since very early due to his rough upbringing.
    I give up. You are an idiot.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why, because I hate Pink Floyd? They're overrated. Their music is dated.

When I hear Money on the radio with the cheesy cash register sound effects, I have to turn it off.

When I hear Another Brick in the Wall with the awful school-boy choir, I have to turn it off.

I don't find their music progressive or inspiring at all. I think there were much more progressive bands at the time churning out much better music.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why, because I hate Pink Floyd? They're overrated. Their music is dated.

When I hear Money on the radio with the cheesy cash register sound effects, I have to turn it off.

When I hear Another Brick in the Wall with the awful school-boy choir, I have to turn it off.

I don't find their music progressive or inspiring at all. I think there were much more progressive bands at the time churning out much better music.
    No Because you are trying to teach your grandad to suck eggs. I have just posted eight videos about Mingus and told you how for years I have tried to encourage Miles about soul, blues, Jazz etc and you reply was that I should listen to some Mingus and broaden my horizons like Miles

Maybe try reading other people's posts
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No Because you are trying to teach your grandad to suck eggs. I have just posted eight videos about Mingus and told you how for years I have tried to encourage Miles about soul, blues, Jazz etc and you reply was that I should listen to some Mingus and broaden my horizons like Miles

@Beanz why are you always combative I have no beef with you. We're both fathers, we both work hard for our kids, why do we have to fight all the time? Why can't we just talk about music? You're a very aggressive person and if you let anger and stress run your life you'll end up in an early grave, it's no good for a man's heart to be so angry.

Here, I'll start. In terms of British rock I always felt the Zombies' Odessey and Oracle was a fine masterpiece of eclectic, quirky rock gems. I quite enjoy the starting track, which I felt should have been a bigger hit.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Beanz why are you always combative I have no beef with you. We're both fathers, we both work hard for our kids, why do we have to fight all the time? Why can't we just talk about music? You're a very aggressive person and if you let anger and stress run your life you'll end up in an early grave, it's no good for a man's heart to be so angry.

Here, I'll start. In terms of British rock I always felt the Zombies' Odessey and Oracle was a fine masterpiece of eclectic, quirky rock gems. I quite enjoy the starting track, which I felt should have been a bigger hit.

I really am not angry This is the transatlantic divide at work. Not a huge Zombies fan, love Charlie Mingus though
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really am not angry This is the transatlantic divide at work. Not a huge Zombies fan, love Charlie Mingus though
    Well it good that you like Mingus and I know you don't want to hear this but I truly believe it cleanses the palette after listening to a lot of hard, aggressive stuff.

It's not just punk rock, I like action movies but I can't watch them every time, some times I have to throw on a Pixar film, they do great work and it always brings a tear to my eye. Cleanses the palette, cleanses the soul.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me Myself an Eye

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it good that you like Mingus and I know you don't want to hear this but I truly believe it cleanses the palette after listening to a lot of hard, aggressive stuff.

It's not just punk rock, I like action movies but I can't watch them every time, some times I have to throw on a Pixar film, they do great work and it always brings a tear to my eye. Cleanses the palette, cleanses the soul.
    Ah .. I see what you mean. For me music is very important and so of course i would never limit myself. That is true whether I am listening, recording, composing, arranging or documenting it.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, it's me who is not so into jazz or rap. Jazz is something I could potentially get into if I explored, but rap is something I mostly dislike. I mostly cannot relate to rap music, it talks about a lifestyle and culture I have no interest in. Music is important to me, but I have to feel something from it or it has to talk to me in some way. Most of the music I listen to falls into folk, pop, rock, alternative, neo classical, electronic, baroque/chamber categories, but I am very picky about which artists I think are speaking to me. I'm a bit odd, I am an outsider, I don't really fit in anywhere and so I enjoy artists who can mirror those feelings in me. I cannot articulate those feelings through beautiful music, so I turn to the artists that can. That's why I am really into a band like Grandaddy. The music is pretty and melodic and juxtaposes that dichotomy between nature and technology. Jason Lytle has fused his influences, but also managed to create his own musical vocabulary with the sonic landscapes and antiquated compter sounds he creates. When he writes a song about a robot that has become outdated and unused, drinks itself to death, and then finally fizzles and pops. Well, I find that very emotional and when you have the music completmenting that lyrical premise in such a pretty way you are only ever going to find a fan in me. There are lots of quirky and also epic songs, that just pull you right in and you have to become a fan. More people should know about Grandaddy.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jimi Hendrix

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually, I forgot about Motown which I really enjoy a lot of. A lot of those classic Motown tracks are just really well constructed, melodic pop songs, so I naturally gravitate towards that. I also like a lot of those Diana Ross solo ballads, I can dig that stuff.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James Jamerson played bass on virtually every Motown record of the 60s and 70s I hear, with his classic '62 Fender precision

Thread Information