Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default what is the average age?

what is the average age? im 16 now, ive wanted to box since i was 13 but was not allowed too, is it too late now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:what is the average age?

i hope it aint to late because im 15 years old

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

relax fella's plenty of time yet
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what age did you start boxing properly

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I started boxing in my early teens, I then went away from it and have not long ago come back to it, Im now 27 and although I didnt come back to it for competition, in theory I could have 7 years of competing in me.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you can start when you are mature enough to realise that boxing is an art and it's training should not be taken light heartedly.( 13 onwards)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im 15 and i want to start but i thought that it was to late plus my mate goes 5-6 times a week and he said you have to pretty much do that many times to stay up with everyone so that put me off abit is this true because i no i aint gonna become a pro like but i just wanna box.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You dont HAVE to go 5-6 days a week, plenty of clubs will set aside time for amateurs, say 3 times a week for a couple of hours a time. The easiest thing to do is go to the gym and find out for yourself.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm 14, turning 15 in November and I'd like to start boxing myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ESPTaylor
    I'm 14, turning 15 in November and I'd like to start boxing myself.
    Should be no problem. Bob Edgett, famous trainer from Frosty Hollow, New Brunswick wanted the fellas to start around 11, but real life dont always allow that. Its like all else boys, first 3 months, your going to make good gains...then its time for gut check. Most people will stop after 3 months of anything...but its after those 3 months that the real learning and growing is going to take place. Stay with it fellas, 3 times a week, and cross train, do other sports, but mainly boxing stuff. An unfortunate rule of this world for males, bigger is better. Men respect size..or fear it, either will do...and men respect skill. You train hard and long, this will come naturally. Going to make your life a little easier...and the chicks will dig ya too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i started when i was 15, i found that you dnt get enough time spent on you from the trainers, they ussually train the young ones more because they think they are more of a prospect. my last fight, i can tell you that i was superfit and strong i boxed a guy 5 pounds heavyier and i pushed him around the ring but he won and you can see why on the tape, he outboxed me. After the fight the trainer said i had lost my bottle (guts) and that pissed me off. its just i never got trained.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats a bummer. Are your trainers very good? Perhaps they focus more on the younger ones because they can snow them ... But dont get too discouraged, take it as a challenge. Attend class religiously, and work your guts out. Do the extra things...work hard on the medicine ball, focus on every sittup, work soo fragen hard they wont be able to ignore you. And dont be afraid to speak up and demand advice, especially if you are paying for a membership. If you give %100 and still cant get what you consider adequate training, consider going to another gym, if possible. And be an open sponge when you are training, listen, look, and learn ...advice for others works for you too. As far as losing a fight, ya cant be a good winner until you learn from a loss or two...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dnt mind that they dnt spend time on me because the other kids need it more but i have had under 5 fights and have a major championship coming up which i will be up against guys with 40 to 60 bouts under their name which does worry me because until now ive never been hurt or nothing AND these guyz could maybe hurt me. i give 100% evertime i train i always push myself and hopefully itll all pay off some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by red55
    i dnt mind that they dnt spend time on me because the other kids need it more but i have had under 5 fights and have a major championship coming up which i will be up against guys with 40 to 60 bouts under their name which does worry me because until now ive never been hurt or nothing AND these guyz could maybe hurt me. i give 100% evertime i train i always push myself and hopefully itll all pay off some time.
    you go dude, let us know how it works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

16 is not too late,

im 16...an i been boxin' for 3 years. but 16 ain no age... start now and dont put it off for another 3 years.

Thread Information