Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ricardo "finito" Lopez

Ok, so you people know I always strive to become a better student of the game and was wondering if you could fill me in. I am in the process of acquiring a few of his fights now and I know he had an awesome record,but what else made him so great? Who did he have good fights with and where is he on the all time lists?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ricardo "finito" Lopez

Finito Lopez was in my mind one of the best fighters I have ever seen.

His technique was flawless, he was quick, he was strong and his ring generalship was second to none. He would have been a mega star if he only weighed 20 more pounds. His posture when he approached another fighter was perfect. More importantly, he had the will to win.

My favorite fight was Alvarez-Lopez II only because by that time Ricardo was old not quite out but old and Alvarez was young and strong as an ox. Finito showed a champion's heart and prevailed. Good stuff
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

defensively, Lopez was at the top of his game as well. A true great, a master boxer, KO power in both hands.
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for filling me in Mad_Dog, I definitely will get hold of that fight! Sounds like you have a high opinion of him,was he in the P4P lists in his day and who would have great matches with him now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bro Finito is not just on the p4p list in his day. He is a legend. P4P candidate period. As a matter of fact, of all the Mexican greats, I would argue that he, Salvador Sanchez and Julio Cesar Chavez are in the top three.

I would have loved to see an Arce fight Lopez. I can not say enough how technically sound Lopez was.
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he's perhaps the best technical boxer of all time, really.. He didn't have the phenominal talent of a Roy Jones or even Mayweather, but he made up for it 100% with pure skill. He is like a more orthodox Pernell Whittaker, at least defensively equal, but total opposite styles, he wasn't nearly as much relient on his reflexes he was just technically flawless. Another thing that makes him great is that he truly went out on top, his last fight was a brilliant performance and he showed he still had masterful skills, then retired gracefully. He never got the recognition he deserved just because of his weight, simple as that. He also fought in a very good age for boxing, so there were plenty of stars at the higher weights to steal the spotlight.. Jones, De la Hoya, Tito nas barerra, not to mention the HWs were good. I really don't know if he ever got the p4p recognition he deserved in terms of rankins during his peak.. But he was undoubtedly as good as anyone at his best.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

very smooth, just technically almost perfect, had all the punches, but I loved his uppercuts when a guy was pressuring him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Woah,ok not many reply's but he sounds AWESOME!!! I just got tow of his fights,one with Hideyuki something and another fight,and I have to say, I am pretty darn excited!!!! Which weight class was he? Would you guys say he is in top 20 fighters EVER? Cool Clicks all around for replying,you guys know you stuff!! I'm on my way to joining you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

top 20?

hard to say there have been many many great ones. I am never good at ranking people BUT

I have been watching boxing for a long long time now. I even have tapes of the classics. Whenever I think of the best that I have seen, he certainly comes to mind. An incredible fighter. As far as his weight Lopez was a flyweight.

I think he would have taken Arce apart IMO. Arce right now is one of the top fighters in the flyweight division.
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Woah,ok not many reply's but he sounds AWESOME!!! I just got tow of his fights,one with Hideyuki something and another fight,and I have to say, I am pretty darn excited!!!! Which weight class was he? Would you guys say he is in top 20 fighters EVER? Cool Clicks all around for replying,you guys know you stuff!! I'm on my way to joining you!!!
    I am telling you game that he was one of the most brilliant fighters I have ever seen.
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO Lopez is to date the greatest BOXER that Mexico has ever had, fighter would go to Chavez, but in the skill department it's Lopez hands down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I only seen him on the Chavez Gonzales undercard, and he didn't impress me. But I'm guessing that wasn't his best hour

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea yet you're completely impressed by the bum that is Zab Judah ...........that says it all right there

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales
    yea yet you're completely impressed by the bum that is Zab Judah ...........that says it all right there
    Nice

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Ok, so you people know I always strive to become a better student of the game and was wondering if you could fill me in. I am in the process of acquiring a few of his fights now and I know he had an awesome record,but what else made him so great? Who did he have good fights with and where is he on the all time lists?
    People have told me that they have never seen a perfect boxer BUT "Finito" Lopez was probably the closest to perfection as we might ever see in the ring....I second that the guy was ahead of his time and was just magnificent in the ring as far as watching a boxer break down an opponent there was JCC, "Finito" & Arguello. JCC was the pressure guy who came at you and broke you down like that, "Finito" was the technician and would hit 3 times without you touching him would pick his shots and break you down like that, "El Flaco Explosivo" was just amazing with that long reach and counter punching he would set you up for at least 2 maybe even 3 rds. and then Boom lights out.

Watch him vs. Yun Lee, Melchor, Guardia, Tabanas,Sanchez, Alvarez II

Thread Information