Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Heavy Bag Weight

Well, I am 16.......5'8.......and 130 pounds. I was curious if an 80 pound bag is too light for me to hit on. I was just wondering if I should get a heavier bag or not?....it really does feel too light, I just dont really have the money to buy another one right now. Is there any way to make it heavier?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavy Bag Weight

Iv;e got this heavyweight 108kilo 6ft5in who punches his weight and, a 80lb bag is ample for him. Its how you use the bag,if the bag is moving, next time you hit it stop it from moving.Keep your distance, by using your feet
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mBiOkXe08
    Well, I am 16.......5'8.......and 130 pounds. I was curious if an 80 pound bag is too light for me to hit on. I was just wondering if I should get a heavier bag or not?....it really does feel too light, I just dont really have the money to buy another one right now. Is there any way to make it heavier?
    Yea u should try and get atleast a 100 pound bag. That is the lightest I would go but try and get heavier if u can. Just think of it as u hitting a person. R u going to be fighting and hitting a 80 pound person? No! So just think of it that way when choosing a heavy bag.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In general you want the bag to swing when you hit it; that is how you begin learning how to switch angles with minimum movement and how to work with and around a body in close. An 80 pound bag would probably be plenty and remember to hang it a few inches higher than might be your natural inclination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm 16 to but 5'7 and about 200lbs. I have just bought an 80lb bag and im a bit of a slugger. Although i find it a little light and the fact it is alredy dented, i wouldn't suggest going above that for a while yet. If it swings a little, use that to help u with ur angles etc...U don't want the bag to be static!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in my day i was a 5'11 160 pounder. as far as bags went, i hated the light ones. as soon as i hit the thing it would shoot across the room making it impossible for me to punch through the target. i found this to severely hinder my form in the punch. consider this; in punching a man in his solar plexus, does his body remain in place as you punch it, or does it suddenly shoot across the room as soon as your fist glances it? for this reason my bag of choice (and my best freind for many years) was a 200 (but probably somehwat lighter) soft-fill heavy bag that i called Hellen. let me tell you she was great. i wouldnt mess with any other bag but her.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This little trick should help you all out. And a 60lb bag is all you need. Weight lifting belt round your waist, and belt round the bag, peice of 15mil elastic rope 4 inch longer than reach, tide to the bag and yourself through the belts.It makes your balance better gives corr stababity makes you move,is hard work makes you punch in balance, now you are punching your body weight, the bag is as heavy as you want it And it dont cost fuck all
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Iv;e got this heavyweight 108kilo 6ft5in who punches his weight and, a 80lb bag is ample for him. Its how you use the bag,if the bag is moving, next time you hit it stop it from moving.Keep your distance, by using your feet
    Thats what I like to do, if the bag is moving, rather than trying to keep it moving I'll move in and out of range until I'm in a position to catch the bag as its coming towards me and stop it moving. before repositioning myself for another angle.

If you do it that way it means your punching against the bag which if I understand correctly makes it alot harder than if the bag is still or swinging away from you because the resistance multiplys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I prefer a very heavy and very soft bag

easier on the hands weight builds up shoulders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my routine means i try use the bag as if im in the ring, using footwork angles, fast hands ,heavy hands, so the weight doesn't really matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the zipper came off of my bag the other day, and I tried duck taping it and it only held it for about five minutes then it was back to having all the stuffin flyin out of the top. I guess I will just have to buy a new one, it's an everlast, so I probably wouldnt get one of those.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How much duck tape did you put on? Please say you didn't just duck tape around the zipper...

Don't be shy with it.... rap it from the top of the bag to the middle, bind the tape loads of times around that and then repeat. Just think logically about what bit supports what

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight132
    I prefer a very heavy and very soft bag

easier on the hands weight builds up shoulders
    yes! one thing is for sure, nothing like punching a soft fill. one of the great pleasures of life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i was on the bag today, hittin it as u do, and the hook it was on jus bent wen i hit it and the bag fell to the ground.

Anyone got any cheap solutions for hanging heavy bags up?

Its 80lbs by the way

ta, dicki

Thread Information