Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instances of fighters toying with their opponents to inflict more punishment

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Instances of fighters toying with their opponents to inflict more punishment

I read about Chavez - Haugen it in a thread a while back, and it got me to thinking about other instances where fighters chose to punish their opposition rather than end the fight.

I know Calzaghe toyed with Roy Jones, but didn't strike me as malicious really, more like Calzaghe just didn't want to stop him. He might have been trying to soak up the limelight as well considering it was his last fight.

Any other examples (I know there must be)?

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Instances of fighters toying with their opponents to inflict more punishment

PBF-Baldomir.....although I am not so sure Floyd could hurt him but he certainly coasted the last couple rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Instances of fighters toying with their opponents to inflict more punishment

dwight muhammad qawi. a sadistic fighter if there ever was one. and an incredibly skilled one at that.

vs. leon spinks

jon09 Guest

Winky vs Tito

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    Winky vs Tito
    I dont think that was the case really, it more Winky was sticking to his gameplan and not getting careless. He didnt want to give tito a chance to hurt him.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"What's my name?"

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones vs Richard Hall has to be the best case of this, perhaps in the history of boxing. That entire fight was a RJJ highlight reel, he carried him till the (11th?) round, when he easily could have had him out of there in the first, start of the second at the latest.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirk you mean Ali v Ernie Terrell
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    PBF-Baldomir.....although I am not so sure Floyd could hurt him but he certainly coasted the last couple rounds.
    I don't think Floyd could have hurt Baldomir and I'm certain Floyd didn't think so either. I think that fight was more a case of him trying to preserve his shot at De La Hoya by not hurting his hands or getting caught taking chances. I never got the impression he wanted to hurt Baldomir or had any malicious feelings towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebrucelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    Winky vs Tito
    I dont think that was the case really, it more Winky was sticking to his gameplan and not getting careless. He didnt want to give tito a chance to hurt him.
    Agreed. Winky knew he couldn't stop Trinidad and he was content to dominate him without stopping him.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2 that quickly come to mind Cotto-Gomez and Morales-Velardez...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali vs Patterson I
    Last edited by Myk_Myk; 01-09-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Hector Macho Camacho

Camacho did his usual act to sell the fight, but Chavez took it personal and told him knocking him out would be too easy, that he would carry Camacho to punish him....and that's EXACTLY what Chavez did.

He'd hurt Camacho, then hold back so Camacho could collect himself, then he'd hurt him again. It was sadistic.

The Great Joe Louis said Tony Galento angered him so much with his insults that Joe decided he would carry the man in order to punish him more. Tony did have one of the hardest left hooks in boxing history, and after Tony decked Joe for a count, Joe decided the hell with his intended plan; he just wanted to finish it then...which he did.

Lennox Lewis vs Mike Tyson
    Lewis could have ended that fight about 3 or 4 rds earlier if he would have simply went ahead and dropped the right hand on Tyson, but I don't think it was malicious at all on Lennox' part; he was just always naturally a very cautious fighter.
    It was brutal to watch Tyson take all that extra punishment just because Lennox was too worried and too respectful of Mike's power to simply let that right hand go. Mike was in pitiful shape; Lennox was unintentionally torturing him because of his overly-cautious nature.

EDIT:
    Wladimir Klitschko had made very clear that he intended to punish David Haye for his insolence by carrying him for the full 12 rds to give him a pizza face, intending to knock him out in the 12th rd.

Last edited by bradlee180; 01-09-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whitaker could make a habit of it.....sickingly and to the point of throwing emptys at the screen.As much as I hate to say it he even toyed with the great Nelson a bit.

Ya know what.Cancel this.Pernell most certainly did not look to inflict more punishment...just clowned.Missed that part
    Last edited by Spicoli; 01-09-2010 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I read about Chavez - Haugen it in a thread a while back, and it got me to thinking about other instances where fighters chose to punish their opposition rather than end the fight.

I know Calzaghe toyed with Roy Jones, but didn't strike me as malicious really, more like Calzaghe just didn't want to stop him. He might have been trying to soak up the limelight as well considering it was his last fight.

Any other examples (I know there must be)?
    I don't think Calzaghe was just toying with Jones, he was show boating because thats what he does, but he threw as hard of punches as I've seen him throw in a long time against Roy, I just think that 90% of his punches weren't hitting the target cleanly.

Roy Jones toyed with a large majority of his opponents though that was in part because of his safety first attitude.

Floyd mayweather this past fall toyed with Marquez for 12 rounds. Not sure if he would have been able to close the show but he had so many opportunities down the stretch to land right hands on Marquez which he hardly did.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson tortured Tyrell Biggs and made him cry like a girl for insulting him during the amateur days.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information