Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Consumer Society

What things do Corporate Industries want you to buy and need that is clearly a waste of money.

I just saw British Gas advert where you can control your heat in your house through smart technology for £9 per month. Why would you bother?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Consumer Society

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    What things do Corporate Industries want you to buy and need that is clearly a waste of money.

I just saw British Gas advert where you can control your heat in your house through smart technology for £9 per month. Why would you bother?
    I have that its great and a bargain for £9.

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

You have too much money and should be spent on Costa Coffee. Another overpriced item that people seem to not live without.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

You have too much money and should be spent on Costa Coffee. Another overpriced item that people seem to not live without.
    Yes but I can sit in costa coffee and control my heating

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the great things about life out here is that there is nothing to buy. When I was growing up it was all about music, games and book shops and they don't seem to exist anymore. Even now those are the things I get drawn to the most and it is much better today.....if you can buy it online (not the same though). I remember working for two fifty an hour to buy CD's which cost about 12 pounds in those days. It's cheaper than that now. Also those old Megadrive games were between 35-45 pounds, but todays games are cheaper and you don't complete them in a couple of hours. For books you have the Kindle and practically anything you want is there and won't break the bank.

I'm a man of simple tastes and I don't really care about fashion, eating at fancy restaurants, or drinking overpriced alcohol. Consumer society is only so if you let it dictate its rules to you. When they suggest books for me on the Kindle I never buy them. I will never listen to an advert. I never listen to the radio. Live it by your own rules, be your own person.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, and coffee? What is that all about? These days it's something like 3 pounds for a cup of coffee at some stupid franchise. Why would anyone want to drink in a Starbucks? If you are going to drink overpriced coffee then have the class to do it in an independent shop and really support your local community. Same with food, buy in local markets. It's easier out here because markets are actually cheaper than the supermarkets too. People are such schmuks going to the same franchises like lemmings. Be your own person, stop being a sheep.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Yes, and coffee? What is that all about? These days it's something like 3 pounds for a cup of coffee at some stupid franchise. Why would anyone want to drink in a Starbucks? If you are going to drink overpriced coffee then have the class to do it in an independent shop and really support your local community. Same with food, buy in local markets. It's easier out here because markets are actually cheaper than the supermarkets too. People are such schmuks going to the same franchises like lemmings. Be your own person, stop being a sheep.
    you fucking hypocrite in 2011 you PMed me the Polish sausage/kielbasi maker in Jamsil Station was selling kielbasi

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

During the Superbowl I watched some tech company run ad using cameras, wi fi, motorized ladders and ceiling lights in a kids tree fort. Honestly seemed tremendously dumb and case in point to what's wrong with kids today. Retractable metal ladders..are you serious with that. Much app technology is pretty embarrassing. Do ya really need to turn your coffee pot off or regulate your refrigerator via mobile?

Isn't the whole point of a tree house a kids independence. Bit of a start up to first mortgage and ruffing it .

haircuts are a complete waste of money. It's the most basic hygiene at least for a guy and if you eveeeeer pay someone to 'wash and shave' you then you have money to flush. Movie theaters today. Pretty dumb.

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not shampoo my hair just wash it in water and it has been fine.

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Britain’s youngest Euromillions winner has revealed she is planning to take legal action against Lottery bosses for negligence.

Jane Park, who won £1 million at the age of 17, said winning the windfall had “ruined” her life and she often thought things would have been better if she had never won.

Ms Park, now 21, argued that someone of her age should not have been allowed to win such a substantial sum of money. She said 18 should be the minimum age for winning the lottery and suggested the current limit of 16 was far too young.

She said she had become bored of relentless consumption and felt like it failed to offered long-term genuine happiness. Before winning the lottery, Ms Park, who now owns two properties, worked as an admin temp for £8 an hour and lived in a small flat with her mum in Edinburgh in Scotland.

“I thought it would make it ten times better but it’s made it ten times worse. I wish I had no money most days. I say to myself, ‘My life would be so much easier if I hadn’t won’,” she told Sunday People.

“People look at me and think, ‘I wish I had her lifestyle, I wish I had her money.’ But they don’t realise the extent of my stress. I have material things but apart from that my life is empty. What is my purpose in life?”

“I think 18 should be the minimum age for winning the lottery, at the least. The current age of 16 is far too young.”

Despite the fact, Camelot, who run EuroMillions in the UK, appointed an adviser to help Ms Park deal with her newly accumulated wealth, she said it was family advice which helped her keep her spending in check.

“I’ve read about other lottery winners who’ve just blown it all and I can totally see how it can be done,” she explained. “I was stuck in front of a financial adviser who was using words like investment bonds. I had no clue what they meant.”

Ms Park said it was unsettling how differently her life had turned out from her friends, making her feel isolated.

“It’s scary how different my life is from my friends’. When they say they’re stressed about the money they mean their wages are s**t,” she said. “There’s no one in the same boat as me, no-one who really understands. I feel like I’m a 40-year-old.”

While most who play the lottery fantasise about the moment of winning the jackpot, the reality of winning can be more complicated. There are numerous stories of lottery winners who have struggled to get used to quitting their jobs and becoming rich overnight.

Callie Rogers, who was 16 and earning £3.60 an hour when she won a National Lottery jackpot worth £1,875,000 in 2003, struggled to adjust to her newfound wealth. She went on a spending spree and is reported to have tried to kill herself.

A spokesperson for Camelot told The Independent: "Camelot takes its duty of care to winners very seriously and all major winners are offered support and advice for as long as they wish. That support is tailored to each winner's situation and circumstances – and for younger winners, their age will obviously be an important factor in the advice and support offered.

“Following her win, Jane received extensive support from Camelot. A dedicated winners’ adviser visited Jane at home to pay out her prize, arrange private banking and support her through the publicity when she chose to share news of her win. An independent financial and legal panel was set up shortly after her win and we put Jane in touch with another winner who won at the same age, to share their experience and help Jane adjust to the win.

"We keep in contact with all major winners for as long as they wish and have been in touch with Jane from time to time since her win to offer ongoing support. Of course, it is always up to the winners themselves as to whether they want to take us up that ongoing support and advice – but the door is always open and we will continue to support Jane in any way we can if that is what decides she wants."

Camelot said the minimum age limit to play the lottery is an issue for parliament to deal with which they have no control over.

"Anyone over the age of 16 can play the lottery, and therefore win a prize," they said in a statement. "Camelot doesn’t set the age limit to play – this was agreed at the launch of the National Lottery back in 1994 and so any questions about the legal age to play would be a matter for Parliament."

Britain's youngest Euromillions winner planning to sue Lottery bosses for 'ruining' her life

El Kabong Guest

A consumer society is not a bad thing, I enjoy having options do you not?

Well you must smell amazing

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Hair smells fine and shampoo is not a necessity just made up by the industry.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lots of my friends here do the same, esp. Armenians, Afghanistan and Punjabi. Soap/shampoo is damaging to the skin and hair. Plus think of the money you save. That's also why I stopped using toilet paper in 2007.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Hair smells fine and shampoo is not a necessity just made up by the industry.
    You're not one of those disheveled matted hair guys who linger in a check out line smelling sour are you?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I don't buy it a lot but Starbucks has good coffee

Thread Information