Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Holyfield: "Im better than what you saw"

www.fightnews.com

August 20, 2006

By Mario Zavala Jr.

Photo: Robert Hughes
    Maybe he’s not washed up after all.

Written off by boxing fans and media after his last three fights, Evander Holyfield showed signs he’s serious about a comeback. Holyfield scored a second-round TKO over Jeremy Bates to end a string of three consecutive losses and win his first fight after a near two-year layoff at the American Airlines Center.

“It felt great to see that I had that many people that still believed in me,” Holyfield said of the stirring ovation he received from the crowd. “It actually makes you kind of nervous because you don’t want to let all these people down because they are so excited.”

Holyfield (39-8-2, 25 knockouts) talked all week about his path to the heavyweight title starting in Dallas and he backed it up. The 43-year-old heavyweight dictated the pace of the fight with his jab and worked in combinations to wear down the lightly regarded Bates (21-12-1, 18 knockouts) early and often.

“Really I’m a lot better than what y’all saw tonight,” Holyfield added. “It just so happened that that’s all I needed to do.”

A flurry of punches almost ended with Bates on the canvas in the first round, but he withstood the punishment and was saved by the bell. He wasn’t as lucky in the second.
    After connecting with a hard right hook midway through the round, Bates wore down trying to land another punishing right. In the process he backed himself into a corner, leaving Holyfield an opening to pound away.

The former heavyweight champ landed six left-right combinations before referee Rafael Ramos stopped the fight with 2:56 left in the second. Holyfield’s trainer, Ronnie Shields, said the former Olympic bronze medalist displayed a solid jab, which helped him land power punches late in the second and end the fight.

“He listened, and that’s the most important thing for a trainer,” Shields said. “He looked good. He could have gone the full 10 rounds if needed.”

A win over the virtually unknown Bates may not put Holyfield on the instant track to a heavyweight title fight, but his next bout very well could. Holyfield’s camp indicated that he and Sinan Samil Sam, the WBC’s fifth-ranked heavyweight contender, could announce a November fight date between the two as soon as next week.

The proposed fight is a positive step for Holyfield, who blamed a severely injured shoulder and other ailments for his past sluggish performances. He said he never once considered using the injuries as an excuse for losing or quitting his bid to become a five-time heavyweight champion.

“My kids inspired me not to quit,” Holyfield said. “I didn’t want to quit and I didn’t want anybody telling my kids I’m a quitter.”

The fighter acknowledged that he isn’t a major threat to the four current heavyweight champions yet, but Holyfield said feels he’s getting there. It’s all about preparation, he said.

‘I’m willing to pay the price,” Holyfield said. “It’s just the first step … but eventually I will be the heavyweight champ again.”

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holyfield: "Im better than what you saw"

Holyfields comeback win tells us nothing of any significant importance....a fight with Sam would tell us much more. A convincing defeat for Holyfield might be the wake up call he needs, but a victory could lead only knows where!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think his showing against Bates shows he at least deserves the right to attempt a comeback.

I thought he looked good and if he really believes he can do it then good luck to him.

I know it's unlikely but I would personally love him to take out these Russian commies one by one and return the heavyweight division back to the land of the free and the brave. :P

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    I think his showing against Bates shows he at least deserves the right to attempt a comeback.

I thought he looked good and if he really believes he can do it then good luck to him.

I know it's unlikely but I would personally love him to take out these Russian commies one by one and return the heavyweight division back to the land of the free and the brave. :P
    He did look good, but Bates wasnt even a full time pro. If he fights Sam then says a lot more to me. And like you, Bilbo, I will be cheering him on...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfields win proved nothing to me, Bates wasn't much of a test. Holyfield should try to target Mesi cause that's I fight I'm sure he can win & would make some money as well. But once Evander jumps up in class against a better fighter he's gonna get beat. I wish he'd give it up, he's one of the greatest fighters ever he doesn't need to prove anything more!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evander might have a good fighting chance up one level; but up the next after that (the top tier) I don't know.

I too had suggested that he hand Mesi his first loss but really such a fight wouldnt tell us much more than the Bates fight given Mesi's current performance level. He should only go there for the money if he doesn't want to go up; but it sounds like he does.

Personally, I'd love to see him storm his way back to the top; it would be a blast. Just hope he listens to himself on the way, and knows when to change his story.

Thread Information