Thread: Andre ward vs GGG

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not Golovkin's fault that Cotto is not a middleweight and prevented him ripping the Lineal title off Martinez. Where are all the calls for Cotto to face GGG?

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Andre ward vs GGG

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    If you were GGG would you keep milking it at middleweight or step up and catch ward at the worst time of his career?

Some people make me laugh , do we regard Marvin Hagler's title reign as him milking the MW division ?
    GGG is a MW if he wants to fight at that weight then so be it , he is a wonderful exciting fighter. As for Ward , he is inactive , he is boring , and personally I could care less if he never fights again.
    Canelo would be a good fight for GGG , after Cotto. As for Martin Murray he could beat both Abrahams and Smith on the same night at SMW.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Just answer this. What helps GGGs historical standing more, 5 more fights against unproven fighters or one fight against Ward?
    You don't have to sell me on how useless belts are: I know. I often forget who holds what belt because it usually doesn't matter.

To be fair, the WBC MW Belt IS the linear championship and collecting all the belts is essentially cleaning out your division, even though everyone regards GGG as the #1 MW by a large stretch.

Yeah, a victory over Ward would be great for his legacy, but I don't see how I was wrong by asserting that Ward needs to come back and reassert himself before GGG would go up to fight him. Right now, Ward is unranked and has lost the position he fought so hard for (which now has seemingly fell back to Froch). If GGG fights Ward tomorrow and beats his ass, people will say "ohh I think Ward is washed up, the inactivity killed him, ect."

Conversely, if he lets Ward come back and reassert himself as the top 168lber and one of the p4p best in the world and THEN you go up and beat him, it improves your legacy ten-fold.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There seem to be a lot of people who are accusing GGG of fighting soft opposition, but what can you do when guys won't get in the ring with you? You can't wait outside their house and fight them on the street, they actually need to agree to fight you.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should fight Abraham up at 168 and then Bundrage down at 154 whilst waiting for Cotto to retire and then come back to middleweight. He could knock both of those two out and make a big spalsh amongst boxing historians but it will not give him exposure and cash. He can't win can he?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    If you were GGG would you keep milking it at middleweight or step up and catch ward at the worst time of his career?

Some people make me laugh , do we regard Marvin Hagler's title reign as him milking the MW division ?
    GGG is a MW if he wants to fight at that weight then so be it , he is a wonderful exciting fighter. As for Ward , he is inactive , he is boring , and personally I could care less if he never fights again.
    Canelo would be a good fight for GGG , after Cotto. As for Martin Murray he could beat both Abrahams and Smith on the same night at SMW.
    Listen,

Everyone likes different fighters.

Its fairly obvious that ward isn't that appreciated here regardless of his inactivity.

GGG fighting cotto next is a great money move and we all appreciate that it's a business etc but getting a fight with canelo is probably not going to happen.

Can anyone see cotto beating GGG?

As a fan, I want to see the best fights and I think that no matter how boring ward may be to others he will completely outclass GGG and that is the next big superfight I want to see..

Let GGG keep building his already increasing fan base and "best thing since tyson" quotes as the road should lead to ward..and I cant wait.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward has now moved into the realms of the 'unknown' as he has been so inactive.

If Ward is anything like he was 4 years ago, I don't think Golovkin can beat him.

As good as Golovkin is, he would be jumping up at the same time as meeting the best opponent he's ever fought & that's a tough ask.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta agree with beanflicker, here. How is it that Ward claims the belts in his division, then never fights outside of oakland, won't go up to 175, wont cut weight to 160, opts for a seat in the commentators booth... fights edwin rodriguez after a year and then sits out with the whole division on hold rather just fighting and just finishing off his contract. Now after another year and half in the shadows of inactivity.... he's been stripped of his ring title and ranking but he's ready to fight now so someone should just force the doing the work in his own division 8lbs below, that ward wasn't doing in his, to come up in wait and hand him a golden opportunity? Despite the fact that GGG is a smaller middleweight, that's asking a bit much in my opinion as it is time for the primadonna ward, to start reminding everyone why he even deserves opportunities in his own division and make concessions so that fights can happen and he can be ranked again. But he only wants the big fights because hes bucking for retirement money. Boxing may be a hobby to ward now, but to a lot of other fighters its still their life and their dedication to it alone speaks volume over what ward has shown us since the dawson fight.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with GGG fighting all the gatekeepers in the world. I'm saying there is something seriously f'd about what you all are saying.

It has gone from GGG shouldn't fight Ward because he needs to clean out 160 and he needs to build his name to GGG shouldn't fight Ward because he needs to clean out 160 and Ward needs to build his name. You people can't see the comedy in that? Please tell me you see the glaring problem?!

Clean out clean out clean out, they aren't going to fight him! Let me repeat, they aren't going to fight him. One more time so people get it, they aren't going to fight him! So then there is the "what can he do if they won't fight him?" It's obvious, he can fight the fighters that are willing. Ward is willing. And anyone that believes the 31 year Ward is washed up is a moron.

I'm not saying GGG has to move up, although he said he would for Chavez so it's a bit of a bitch move to not be willing for Ward. And I'm not saying GGG has to fight him next. But he damn well should be looking in his direction. Because only looking at no hopers is weak.

I would be a fan of GGG if he would only start fighting guys on his level. He is 33 years before his next fight and he hasn't fought one champion for crying out loud. Not one! And you all don't want him to fight the guy on his level or a champion. Get the belts get the belts get belts, the belts are meaningless.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listen,

Its fairly obvious that ward isn't that appreciated here regardless of his inactivity.

GGG fighting cotto next is a great money move and we all appreciate that it's a business etc but getting a fight with canelo is probably not going to happen.

As a fan, I want to see the best fights and I think that no matter how boring ward may be to others he will completely outclass GGG and that is the next big superfight I want to see..

Let GGG keep building his already increasing fan base and "best thing since tyson" quotes as the road should lead to ward..and I cant wait.
    I want to see GGG v Ward but Id prefer to see it at a catchweight and in a neutral venue.

All your criticisms of GGG though can also be applied to Ward. Why is he still at 168? Why isnt he fighting the best at 175? Why is he hoping to get a middleweight up to 168 to fight?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with GGG fighting all the gatekeepers in the world. I'm saying there is something seriously f'd about what you all are saying.

It has gone from GGG shouldn't fight Ward because he needs to clean out 160 and he needs to build his name to GGG shouldn't fight Ward because he needs to clean out 160 and Ward needs to build his name. You people can't see the comedy in that? Please tell me you see the glaring problem?!

Clean out clean out clean out, they aren't going to fight him! Let me repeat, they aren't going to fight him. One more time so people get it, they aren't going to fight him! So then there is the "what can he do if they won't fight him?" It's obvious, he can fight the fighters that are willing. Ward is willing. And anyone that believes the 31 year Ward is washed up is a moron.

I'm not saying GGG has to move up, although he said he would for Chavez so it's a bit of a bitch move to not be willing for Ward. And I'm not saying GGG has to fight him next. But he damn well should be looking in his direction. Because only looking at no hopers is weak.

I would be a fan of GGG if he would only start fighting guys on his level. He is 33 years before his next fight and he hasn't fought one champion for crying out loud. Not one! And you all don't want him to fight the guy on his level or a champion. Get the belts get the belts get belts, the belts are meaningless.
    I said that in another thread that every bloody fighter wants to fight Chavez jr!!!

So GGG can call out a fat weed smoker like Chavez jr and move up in weight but for ward he's just not ready yet...

I love carl froch but even he honestly said he would loose to ward again!

Froch knows how good ward is and when a warrior like froch wont attempt to avenge his only other loss then people need to pay attention.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward might actually beat ggg by hugging him the whole fight.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey, it's the sign of the times; no such thing as fighting at a particular weight these days. Move up, move down, catchweight.

I remember Hopkins taking a lot of stuff for fighting that joke Morrade Hakkar- -since then he has moved up & fought.

But looking back on it: Fighting a mandatory in Hakkar helped him to cement a 20 fight legacy as a MW champ.
    What a shame GGG may have to face the same selfish-fan mindset because he may dare to do what Hopkins, Haglar & Monzon did: clean out the house. He has to fight where we tell him to fight at. he has to move up or down & no one else can or should move to the once glorified weight class: Middle Weight Champ of the world.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post

Listen,

I want to see GGG v Ward but Id prefer to see it at a catchweight and in a neutral venue.

All your criticisms of GGG though can also be applied to Ward. Why is he still at 168? Why isnt he fighting the best at 175? Why is he hoping to get a middleweight up to 168 to fight?
    No, there is a glaring difference. An absolutely gigantic difference. The only difference that matters. Ward has fought great fighters, GGG has not! That is all that matters!

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward has only fought Good fighters because of the super six. He is not entitled to anything. It seems like some people are suggesting that Ward is the only way Golvkin can gain any credibility. That is utter nonsense and can only be justified if you dismiss Murray as a nobody. After his fights against Sturm, Martinez and now GGG if you are dismissing Murray, you have a completely different Idea than most of what a good fighter looks like.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information