Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergey Kovalev - Jean Pascal this weekend

I liked the stoppage, Pascal was out on his feet and stumbling around like a drunk. A ref is supposed to stop a fight when a man can no longer defend himself and Pascal had clearly reached that point, he was a sitting duck for those right hands.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely perfect stoppage.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I'd say closer to 15%. I want to see a man stopped and if he isn't going down then it is because he isn't ready to go down. Pascal was the same as that in the 3rd or 4th and he weathered it like a warrior. You have to give the benefit of the doubt to a man that doesn't know what it means to be stopped. Boxing would be lame if you stopped it every time someone got hurt.
    Think about it this way. Pascal didn't go down because the referee stopped it. Kovalev was going to pound him until he was on the canvas and every time he got up Kovalev was going to do it again as long as the referee allowed it.
    Pascal gave a great performance, tough, courageous, and smart but he was tired from the beating he'd taken and pretty much defenseless. He was lucky to have that referee. IMO
    Sometimes you have to protect a fighter as courageous as Pascal from himself.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The stoppage was clearly legit and Pascal was out on his feet; I understand that his ego is hurted but I don'T believe him one second when he says that he was full of energy and ready to counterattack. If Kovalev wouldn't have slip, he was in for the big knock out.
    We gotta like him for the courage and the heart he did show though; that was a pretty good fight.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say closer to 15%. I want to see a man stopped and if he isn't going down then it is because he isn't ready to go down. Pascal was the same as that in the 3rd or 4th and he weathered it like a warrior. You have to give the benefit of the doubt to a man that doesn't know what it means to be stopped. Boxing would be lame if you stopped it every time someone got hurt.

I just watched the fight again... and I'm sorry but you're wrong. Only you and VD (no surprise there) thought the stoppage was bad. Consider this:

Other refs would've stopped it at the end of the 3rd or the beginning of the 4th.
    Pascal's knees were buckled by a jab at the end of the previous round. He never looked recovered.
    Just before Kovalev fell, he was strafing Pascal along the ropes, where only the ropes kept Pascal on his feet.
    As Pabon turned his attention to Kovalev getting back up and rightfully calling the fall a non-knockdown, Pascal was drunkenly stumbling out of camera view across the ring and toward the other corner. Pretty much done and out on his feet.
    Pascal proceeded to take two more thunderous shots from Kovalev before Pabon rightly stepped in.

Perfect stoppage.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just realized on replay that Kovalev has Russian ammunition manufactures as sponsors.

No irony there

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Just realized on replay that Kovalev has Russian ammunition manufactures as sponsors.

No irony there
    I could see Kov walk into the ring with a Kalashnikov. He is serious bad ass.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THANKS!!! FREEDOM!!!
    Great commentary by everyone on this thread. As I watch this I can only confirm: How bad is that old man Krusher fought last to not have suffered what Pascal did?!

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks again for the fight, Free!
    Gotta' go with those who said it was a bad stoppage.

Pascal to his credit, doesn't have/use a jab, doesn't throw or cant throw in combinations (are his arms to muscular?)

Too dependent on landing a big shot. As for Krusher- I liked how he started with the jab to the body, but he didn't keep it up. Great timing, knows how to tie up, when to fight, great chin.

Kov has got my vote: He's a great fighter in the making.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I just watched the fight again... and I'm sorry but you're wrong. Only you and VD (no surprise there) thought the stoppage was bad. Consider this:

Other refs would've stopped it at the end of the 3rd or the beginning of the 4th.
    Pascal's knees were buckled by a jab at the end of the previous round. He never looked recovered.
    Just before Kovalev fell, he was strafing Pascal along the ropes, where only the ropes kept Pascal on his feet.
    As Pabon turned his attention to Kovalev getting back up and rightfully calling the fall a non-knockdown, Pascal was drunkenly stumbling out of camera view across the ring and toward the other corner. Pretty much done and out on his feet.
    Pascal proceeded to take two more thunderous shots from Kovalev before Pabon rightly stepped in.

Perfect stoppage.
    I agree. When this happened Live, I didn't catch it and wondered what Kovalev and smiling and pointing at. It was only after they replayed that last minute that I caught Pascal pulling a judah and go for a stroll when someone tilted the room on him. If the ropes weren't there to stop him, he probably would face planted somewhere in the second row. He should have just manned up. Pabon was probably the only thing that kept Pascal's daughter from watching her dad being taken out on a stretcher.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 03-16-2015 at 02:49 AM.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

Perfect stoppage.
    I agree. When this happened Live, I didn't catch it and wondered what Kovalev and smiling and pointing at. It was only after they replayed that last minute that I caught Pascal pulling a judah and go for a stroll when someone tilted the room on him. If the ropes werent there to stop him, he probably would face planted somewhere in the second row.

Exactly! It was totally evident when seeing it a 2nd time.
    Matter of fact, Pabon was a bit generous in giving Kovalev two free shots before stepping in quickly and decisively.
    Kudos for a job well done.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

Perfect stoppage.
    I agree. When this happened Live, I didn't catch it and wondered what Kovalev and smiling and pointing at. It was only after they replayed that last minute that I caught Pascal pulling a judah and go for a stroll when someone tilted the room on him. If the ropes werent there to stop him, he probably would face planted somewhere in the second row.

Exactly! It was totally evident when seeing it a 2nd time.
    Matter of fact, Pabon was a bit generous in giving Kovalev two free shots before stepping in quickly and decisively.
    Kudos for a job well done.
    Pascal was totally out on his feet. It is a good stoppage, no matter how much Pascal's ego is hurt.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, I've watched the replay several times now and I still feel the same. Two punches shouldn't decide it. Let Kovalev put him down and then wave it off, this is pugilism and it is supposed to be tough. Pascal would have his loss no questions asked and Kov has another legit stoppage on the record and also no need for any talk of a rematch. People seldom get seriously hurt in boxing and Pascal showed he was tough enough to take a punch plenty of times in the fight. It's how I am, I like a conclusion.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another fighter spending several pointless extra rounds out in his feet and becoming another magomed abdusalamov isn't worth slightly more 'conclusiveness'...

Fight fans will never get it into perspective, will they?...

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the thing though. When you sign up to do something safe like sitting behind a desk, you chose that with the safety also in mind. When you sign up for the army, you do it knowing there is a chance you will lose a limb. Likewise, when you fight for a boxing title, you fully know the risks going into that. Pascal knew the risks and straight away was at the referee for stopping it. His body was wilting, but his mind was there. On that basis you let the man who signed the contract do the job he wants to do. He could quit at any moment if he really wanted to, but some people are so dedicated to their craft that they will see it through to the end. Pascal earned my respect in that fight because he proved his heart and wanted to see it through.

Thread Information