Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  105
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

View Poll Results: Kovalev vs. Ward: who wins?

Voters
40. This poll is closed
  • Kovalev by KO/TKO/RTD

10 25.00%
  • Kovalev by decision

6 15.00%
  • Ward by KO/TKO/RTD

1 2.50%
  • Ward by decision

20 50.00%
  • Evenly matched, difficult to predict

3 7.50%
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I'm surprised ward is getting that much. I remember when he was clearly the number 2 p4p guy he was only making barely over a million. It's just unfortunate that some people have whole countries behind them (pac, canelo, Chavez jr) and can make so much more.

What's really dumb is that Vargas made a guaranteed 2.8 million vs pac. Vargas is nowhere near kovalevs level or even his excitement level. Pac even now should be for sure rated under kovalev.

That's just how the market works though.
    Now I understand why Ward has followed through with the fight and it is a shock that he is getting more than Kov. Now I definitely want Kov to win. Absolute joke.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Kovalev is a beast but ward is special..major upset if ward does loose and I will happily say the best man won...if a 50 year old Hopkins takes kovalev 12 rounds then imagine what a prime ward will do.

Ward is back and not going anywhere..

That's the way I see it. 8-4 rounds for Ward.

Way back I voted Kov by TKO, but that's my heart speaking. Realistically, I see more of a probability of Ward using his slick boxing skills (plus every trick in the book) to confound Kov, steal rounds, pot shot from far away.... and end up winning a frustrating decision by right around that margin.

I'll be hoping for Kov to KTFO Ward, though.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IF, and it is a big IF, Ward is as good as he was in his prime, the way this fight goes could surprise people. I think Ward will work on the inside a lot and play rough and a bit dirty . he will be stronger than people think, there won't be any size issues.
    by the same context , Kov will probably prove he's a better boxer than he is given credit for. So people who think this is "beast fighter" versus "technical boxer" are selling it short a little bit.
    I've based my pick on Ward being professional enough to be in prime shape, and I reckon he'll spoil enough of Kovalev's work to win on points.
    I could be very wrong though and that's what makes this fight so intriguing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With all of the struggles boxing has had matchmaking the best possible fights.. I find myself rooting for whatever result is best for boxing... I'm going for Kovalev TKO Round 10.

If Ward wins... We'll be waiting another 2 years before he does anything noteworthy...
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Ward starts sharp, but as soon as Kov starts to land the fight changes. He hits too hard and Ward will think twice. Kov by stoppage or points if Ward goes into survival mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly, I'm surprised more guys here don't pick Kov to win.... I mean it's not like Sergey is going to face a defense first crafty boxer for the first time.... Look at what Kov did to Bernard Hopkins......

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sticking with original pick Kovalev late tko. I wouldn't call Ward a 'slick boxer' and think he can be squared into needing to exchange to get out. He may make Kov look like he has two left feet early on, but Kovalez gets very little credit for his subtle half steps and decent footwork with power jab to a guys upper body.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chef97 View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised more guys here don't pick Kov to win.... I mean it's not like Sergey is going to face a defense first crafty boxer for the first time.... Look at what Kov did to Bernard Hopkins......
    And can't see him with the full defensive-survival instinct of the ol man. He may get caught and play too cool and cocky for his own good for follow up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cnote111 View Post
    With all of the struggles boxing has had matchmaking the best possible fights.. I find myself rooting for whatever result is best for boxing... I'm going for Kovalev TKO Round 10.

If Ward wins... We'll be waiting another 2 years before he does anything noteworthy...
    That's a bit harsh.

If Kovalev, Joshua or GGG had a massive shoulder injury and business problems that left them out for years they would get a pass.

I understand Wards style of fighting is not exactly fan friendly but let's not blame him for his inactivity as his hands were tied.

Your going to see Ward fight three times next year if everything works out tonight and I expect and "hope" those fights to be:-

1. Stevenson (March)
    2. Degale/jack (August)
    3. GGG (December- 170?)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, with a fight that could be this close, i needed to take as much info (till after the weigh in) to really feel like I was taking in all of the info to make a well informed guess.

I didn't pick Kovalev, and man I hope I'm wrong... But The problem i have always seen with this match-up was that it was naturally easier for Ward to dissect what Kovalev does and exploit it than it would be for Kovalev to break down wards style and an exploit Ward's mistakes. Kovalev has to fight at a fast pace out of the gate (Something his trainer admitted to interviews to keep ward from building a lead) in order to force Ward to fight that pace and hopefully make a mistake that would result in Ward gambling with something that is rushed or uncharacteristic that can be countered. Wards ability to control the distance could cause Kovalev lots of problems in that for Ward to stay in his comfort zone, he simply has to sit back, feint kovalev into give him an opening... land the initial shot and commence the hug and slug. Robert Byrd is prompt to separate fighters when there's no action happening in the clinch but this is usual after Ward has had nibbled away at his opponent with at least one or two veiled scoring shots. (Byrd also reffed Mayweather Gurerrero, which was similar in style) Kovalev needs to be busy on the inside to keep this from becoming a snoozer while Ward tries to build his lead.

Starting fast aggressively and staying busy on the inside are 2 things Kovalev has not shown consistent interest in much previously. Id have more faith in Kovalev if i knew the exact scope or John david Jackson's control. This has been the biggest issue for me. Kovalev and those surrounding him (JDJ, Abel Sanchez) have stated in multiple interviews that Sergey does what he wants and then asks for progress reports and refining from his Coach. Where as Ward and Hunter seem to have collaborated on a plan, Kovalev seems to have not done any special prep for this fight; he is satisfied to draw up his own strategy and picking Jackson's brain for any insight seems to be an afterthought. That's like bringing Angelo Dundee along to carry your water bottle. My hope would be that Jackson and Don Turner have nonetheless discussed the details and found a way to have Kovalev wax on, wax off some specialty training for Ward's flaws without knowing it.

I do believe Ward has lost a step, and as with Bernard sometimes you can see what happening and your body just won't let you react as quickly as you would like. Without the fastest hands, the slickest footwork, and Kovalevs, WYSIWYG work ethic, there isn't much in Kovalev's arsenal that can't be compensated for with a little tweaking strategy.

The Xfactor for Kovalev is his power. Not just his power but the way it allows him to throw devastating shots without fully committing. His fake on the Jab and throwing the right hand lead from a pivoted stance and following it up with the left (reverse one -two) is a prime example of it and is fully capable of catching Ward.

This match hinges on whether or not Ward can take Kovalev's shot better than Kovalev can solve Ward's slow bleed hug/slug/wrastle/headbutt/forearm puzzle? The reason I haven't backed kovalev in this fight, is if they both have tests tomorrow, it makes more sense to expect a win from the kid who studied. Also, i'm not sure ward is going to be the weaker smaller guy after rehydration. Just my two cents... and as i've said... I hope I'm wrong, and Kovalev keeps this era of the non primadonna rolling by Ko'ing Ward in devastating fashion.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm afraid I've had to go with the boring poll pick of Ward on points for the main reason being the neutralising American style usually prevails.

its the guy with the best inside fighting game in the sport vs a guy with no inside fighting game. Sergeys long punches will be dangerous throughout but he backs up in lines with his chin and the air and hasn't shown me he can deal with the wrestling. Wards hands are also quicker & Kov tends to cut so how does he react when he's frustrated.

i haven't lost hope that Kov will win though, I'm clinging onto the memory of Ward slowing down in the froch fight, looking at the clock as Carl came on strong late. Kov is a master at wearing guys down so I can see this scenario playing out even if Ward imposes his style on the fight early.

Tight fight on the cards. Hard to pick against Ward in America

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried to "double-like" this, but there is no such button.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

That's a bit harsh.

If Kovalev, Joshua or GGG had a massive shoulder injury and business problems that left them out for years they would get a pass.

I understand Wards style of fighting is not exactly fan friendly but let's not blame him for his inactivity as his hands were tied.

Your going to see Ward fight three times next year if everything works out tonight and I expect and "hope" those fights to be:-

1. Stevenson (March)
    2. Degale/jack (August)
    3. GGG (December- 170?)
    Anyone with a shoulder inury deserves time to heal the injury.. but that was a small part of the extended layoff. Much of that had to do with ward trying to restructure his promotional contract. He felt he wasn't being paid enough despite his boring style and the fact that he signed a contract. It's just typical of wards primadonna MO. Same way he claimed he should still be atop the pound for pound list despite hardly fighting. If you signed a $h*t contract, honor your obligation finish it out in style so you can bargain when you sign your next one. If you wanna throw a tantrum instead and sit out you should lose your ranking your accolades and titles. Being a big Mikey Garcia fan, I still feel the same way... It's a b*tch move. Man up, learn from your mistake and move on, wiser.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

surely this thread should have been stickied by now, it's a massive fight.

Anyone from Team GB representing tonight? I'm gunna be dosing myself up on coffee and staying up for it.

And I'm sticking with my initial assessment - Ward either boxes Kov's ears off or spoils his way through, either way he wins on points.

For the record I hope I'm wrong, I wan't a Kov KO

Thread Information