Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: MJ tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo View Post
    i wasn't that bothered about watching it but did and i thought it was pretty good with some sad moments.

I think Shaheen Jafargholi has just become an over night superstar.
    I bet if he got close to coffin, Michael's corpse would of reached out and try to grab him.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post

X's jokes aside, I agree. I was more interested in catching some of this than princess doe eyes.

It was good, not overly sugary, good tributes & yes at times moving. What a world debut from Shaheen.
    seen him live last month, he did ABC with the other kids from BGT, the young street dancer, the fuzzy haired kid from diverisity and some other kid who i can't remember in my drunk state .... they stole the show from Susan Boyle
    I always thought she got too much attention.

you went to see the BGT live show? Was the young black girl in it? Thought she had potential (another one that lost her place because she couldn't sing her song choice IMO).
    yeah took the kids they loved it... that girl wasnt there only the finalists and Darth Jackson.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: MJ tribute

Why would that be VD? Because he's a kiddie fiddler? Oh that's right, not guilty. Maybe he fiddled with his own kids as well and that's why she was crying. Because he certainly looked odd and didn't act normal so that must mean he's capable right?

There are plenty of other threads to talk shit in.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

seen him live last month, he did ABC with the other kids from BGT, the young street dancer, the fuzzy haired kid from diverisity and some other kid who i can't remember in my drunk state .... they stole the show from Susan Boyle

you went to see the BGT live show? Was the young black girl in it? Thought she had potential (another one that lost her place because she couldn't sing her song choice IMO).
    yeah took the kids they loved it... that girl wasnt there only the finalists and Darth Jackson.
    oh dear

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh dear
    it was pretty cool strangly enough, there were notices all over saying stavros flatly wont be preforming and in the middle of DJ's routine there was this storm trooper doing the stavros it was classic... his son didn't turn up so they threw that in.

he also kept on trying to get a girl in the audience back stage.

Susan Boyle was amazing though

I was only there for my kids you understand
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Saddo; 07-08-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bet you went to Dancing on Ice as well.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bet you went to Dancing on Ice as well.
    Don't be stupid....

I wasnt in the country then

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: MJ tribute

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't overly comfortable with the political undertones from Sharpeton. Not really required imo.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't seen the show but have had my fill from BBC world. From what they showed it looked pretty awful. Lionel Ritchie and Maria Carey? Yuck! Stevie Wonder singing to a coffin filled with plastic and bones and then Jacksons daughter being wheeled out to a public showing and all the tears.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against tributes. But that was gaudy, manipulative and lame.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Steelie View Post
    I wasn't overly comfortable with the political undertones from Sharpeton. Not really required imo.
    Yeah, the likes of Sharpton & Jackson have sold out a lot of what they originally stood for & now just try to say what they think people want to hear & keeps their faces visible.

This thing of trying to put Michael Jackson in some kind of iconic political frame really pisses me off. Ignoring is private life completely, you can say he was a great musician & possibly the biggest superstar of all time. What he is not is some great political leader in the manner of Martin, Malcolm or Obama. He had a huge musical influence, but in no way was he responsible for a black man being elected into the white house.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Yeah, the likes of Sharpton & Jackson have sold out a lot of what they originally stood for & now just try to say what they think people want to hear & keeps their faces visible.

This thing of trying to put Michael Jackson in some kind of iconic political frame really pisses me off. Ignoring is private life completely, you can say he was a great musician & possibly the biggest superstar of all time. What he is not is some great political leader in the manner of Martin, Malcolm or Obama. He had a huge musical influence, but in no way was he responsible for a black man being elected into the white house.
    Sorry fellas but how many black faces were really on MTV before him?

Why do people think The Cosby Show was important socially.

It started to turn black in to mainstream. White kids liked em equally.

Even from across the pond I could see that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I haven't seen the show but have had my fill from BBC world. From what they showed it looked pretty awful. Lionel Ritchie and Maria Carey? Yuck! Stevie Wonder singing to a coffin filled with plastic and bones and then Jacksons daughter being wheeled out to a public showing and all the tears.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against tributes. But that was gaudy, manipulative and lame.

She wasn't 'wheeled out', she wanted to speak and good for her for speaking up about her dad - not some star but her dad.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

Sorry fellas but how many black faces were really on MTV before him?

Why do people think The Cosby Show was important socially.

It started to turn black in to mainstream. White kids liked em equally.

Even from across the pond I could see that.
    White kids also loved Jimi Hendrix it doesn't mean he was responsible for reducing racism. MJ was no more responsible than the scores of sports stars in the US. The Cosby Show whilst important, also had some negative impacts on the African-American community, particularly in establishing a 'good black folk' attitude amongst some. It was positive in not overly mentioning race such as The Jeffersons did, however it did not play the socially cohesive role many give it now.

'Black' becoming mainstream is a result of a number of factors of which music & MJ are only a part, & do not deserve the credit for Obama getting into the White House, because that was his own doing. Jackson deserves no more credit for that than Michael Jordan or Walter Payton

Also on MTV, whilst it had a colour barrier prior to MJ's 2nd album that was largely its own construction & heavily criticized by many before that. Yes, he along with Tina Turner, Whitney Houston & Prince did break that down, however MTV was not the huge commercially successful channel it is now, & reached far fewer homes in those days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, That was some deal, that tribute, I had half an eye on it, it had it's moments, but it was overblown like you knew it would be. And yeah about Sharpton, you know when he is involved there is political overtones.

You think all this would have gone down if he hadn't had all the bad publicity, not to mention the grotesque appearance? Frankly, I think the only reason so many people jumped so high and made such a big splash to commemorate him in death is cause so many other people were repulsed and talked him down because of his grotesqueness and weirdness in life. A reaction to a reaction so to speak.

Thread Information