Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Haye v Bellew - 4/3/17 rd-by-rd

I had quite a few (amateur) bouts, but luckily I never had an Achilles injury. I don't know how much it hurts, and am not sure about how the physics of the injury would affect my ability to compete.

What does seem obvious in the fight though, was that Haye couldn't get a solid stance off his right foot. In all of Haye's fights, he has been massively dependant on his right leg. His big punch is the looping right which uses his hip as a pivot, so having a solid right leg is vital. He has always been an ambush type fighter as well, circling and bringing his opponent in until he can lunge in off the right leg with the looping right. I would think the injury ended any hope of him stopping Bellew.

His corner panicked a bit too, in my opinion. The frankly amateurish wrapping of his calf, which they cut off later would have made very little difference to the injury (or any injury, to be honest). They didn't seem to give him any good advice, just saying he should stay on the ropes and keep his hands up.

Haye didnt have the nous to rethink his tactics .... understandable in the heat of the moment, but he did show he is not a true great of the ring as I think a real technician would have been able to think it through. He doesn't have a good enough left, or a solid enough boxing technique to win in another way. In retrospect, he might have tried to set Bellew up for the left by moving all his weight to his front foot and boxing more orthodoxly. He might have tried to pull off a rope a dope?

He didn't quit, in fairness, but he was facing a blown up cruiserweight who didn't carry his power up and who was seriously gassed out.

Haye was always a fantastic athlete, with good power in that right hand .... but that made things come easy to him and he never learned how to be a more complete fighter than he needed to be to blast people out early.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Did you not actually watch the fight? Every right hand he threw required his weight being pushed off his right foot. It's hard to describe to those that havent boxed competitively and you can all try and give me shit for saying that but unless you've tried to throw right hands in a bout you won't know how it feels to go through the mechanics. Maybe someone else who's boxed could comment? But in my opinion which is based on experience and the fact Haye wouldn't have had the use of his right calfs there is no way he could have balance to punch let alone push off with force to throw a right hand.
    Hello, someone who's boxed here, from the age of about 12 to 20, amateur fights, boxed pro's (in the gym) the works.

It's irrelevant. No one has asked for a mechanical breakdown of throwing a backhand or is failing to understand it.

You said his right leg must have been operational to throw the right hand. My question was and still is, show me evidence after round 6 that Haye threw a technically correct backhand off of his back foot. Not a swipe, arm punch or cricket delivery. You wont, and you can't because it didn't happen, I don't think it happened when he had two decent legs let alone one. His punches were all ugly and poorly delivered.

@X I agree with all of that. For a bloke with so much experience he showed very little ability to negotiate his way through the fight. Haye persisted in trying to win the fight with one foot, in the same way that he was failing to win it with two. The taping up of the ankle was farcical. They also shouldn't have thrown in the towel in my opinion. The only real damage being done was to his already knackered leg. They'd let it go for 5 rounds, I dont see how much more damage another was going to make.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haye was losing the fight after he got injured and he would not have got the decision if it went to points so what was the point of carrying on?

If Haye was winning or it was close then it would have been worth taking it to the cards but bellew was too wise to get knocked out with any wild punches that Haye was throwing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Bellew to fight again in 2017'

Tony Bellew is set to fight again this year following his dramatic heavyweight victory over David Haye, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

Bellew claimed an 11th-round win over Haye, who was hampered by an Achilles injury from the sixth round, with trainer Shane McGuigan throwing in the towel for the former WBA world heavyweight champion at The O2.

In a bruising encounter in which Bellew claimed to have broken his hand, the 34-year-old admitted afterwards that his future was "uncertain".

However, Bellew's promoter Hearn told Sky Sports News HQ on Monday that 'Bomber' will fight again this year, with a possible rematch against Haye among the options.

"We're going to fight this year, 100 percent," said Hearn.

"Like Tony [Bellew] said, the decision will be made by him and his family and it's my job to present the opportunities to him. I believe the Haye rematch will be one of those opportunities.

"Part of Tony Bellew wanted to beat him fully fit. There are some unanswered questions.

"It was an epic event, it was a thrilling fight but the Haye rematch certainly remains one of the biggest fights out there for both guys.

"For Haye the only fight out there is the Tony Bellew rematch. For Tony there's the Haye rematch, there's Joseph Parker, there's Deontay Wilder, there's Tyson Fury, there's plenty of options."

In the immediate aftermath of victory, Bellew challenged reigning WBC world heavyweight champion Wilder to a fight, with Hearn revealing he had already received a phone call from the American about a proposed bout.

Hearn also confirmed previously that WBO champion Joseph Parker had made contact following Bellew's success in his maiden heavyweight clash.

'Bellew to fight again in 2017'

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Haye was losing the fight after he got injured and he would not have got the decision if it went to points so what was the point of carrying on?
    You've never boxed, you wouldn't understand.

Im kidding, it's got nothing to do with having boxed. It's your general stupidity that stops you from understanding

OK I'm kidding, or not.

I get what you're saying and in general I would agree. If a fight is unwinnable, jack it in.

There are caveats though. One of those being, if you're staring down the barrel of a stoppage loss to Tony Bellew and you've only got one foot, you fucking hop over the finish line, you crawl. You tell your useless corner that if they even contemplate getting creative and stopping the fight you will murder them in cold blood.

Given all that Haye said and taking into account what happened, you either walk out, or get carried out horizontal. Thats my personal opinion.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post

Im kidding, it's got nothing to do with having boxed. It's your general stupidity that stops you from understanding

OK I'm kidding, or not.

I get what you're saying and in general I would agree. If a fight is unwinnable, jack it in.

There are caveats though. One of those being, if you're staring down the barrel of a stoppage loss to Tony Bellew and you've only got one foot, you fucking hop over the finish line, you crawl. You tell your useless corner that if they even contemplate getting creative and stopping the fight you will murder them in cold blood.

Given all that Haye said and taking into account what happened, you either walk out, or get carried out horizontal. Thats my personal opinion.
    Haye could barely stand and fell out through the ropes. The rematch is going to happen anyway and fighting for another 5 minutes until the end of the fight would have made no difference.

It just shows you how far Haye has fallen that he wants to create a trilogy against Bellew when he once has aspirations of fighting for the world title.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK I'm kidding, or not.

Haye could barely stand and fell out through the ropes. The rematch is going to happen anyway and fighting for another 5 minutes until the end of the fight would have made no difference.
    He could barely stand from round 6 onward. It would have made a huge difference. It would have meant not getting stopped by Tony Bellew.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regarding Haye making adjustments, I'd say his lack of fights over the years even as far back as Macca caught up with him. More activity could have resulted in increasing awareness of options available.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK I'm kidding, or not.

He could barely stand from round 6 onward. It would have made a huge difference. It would have meant not getting stopped by Tony Bellew.
    I don't think they should have stopped it

Bellew never looked like stopping him, I think the knockdown was due to the lack of balance, I don't even think there was any kind of punch landed and it looked a lot worse because he fell through the ropes

I think he'd have lasted to the end

Bellew has been a bellend since the fight, he is talking like he beat David Haye and he is now awesome

I now really hope Hayes body can last one last training camp and one last fight
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

OK I'm kidding, or not.

I don't think they should have stopped it

Bellew never looked like stopping him, I think the knockdown was due to the lack of balance, I don't even think there was any kind of punch landed and it looked a lot worse because he fell through the ropes

I think he'd have lasted to the end

Bellew has been a bellend since the fight, he is talking like he beat David Haye and he is now awesome

I now really hope Hayes body can last one last training camp and one last fight
    If that does happen and Haye wins then "they" will demand a 3rd fight. Do we really want to see that?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a fully fit haye who is ready to fight and I don't think Bellew lasts past 3 rounds

so I don't think there will be a need for a third

I'm not really arsed about that now anyway, id like to see a second and who knows how id feel after it

I may want a third I might not, its probly 8 months off

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there's some very short memories here. Personally, the only reason I wanted to see the first fight was in the hope that Haye still had a bit left and would Spark out Bellew , so why the fucking need for a 2nd or 3rd?
    But it was very clear after the 1st Round that Haye doesn't have anything left at the highest level, even before the injury. Some people may say he came into the fight with the injury, and that may be true, but that further goes to show that you can say "if this" and "if that", but the fact is that he's gone.
    the only thing the fight did was make Bellew into some kind of Superstar and give him pay days he could only dream of , because in reality , he's fucking shit.

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are right Primo, the fight showed that Haye is shot, way past his best and is just trying to contact the public in thinking he can provide a realistic challenge at the world stage.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not so sure, I thought haye won rounds 2,3 and 4 clearly and was winning 5, bellew had stopped throwing punches

2 more and I think the sparking would have come

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I'm not so sure, I thought haye won rounds 2,3 and 4 clearly and was winning 5, bellew had stopped throwing punches

2 more and I think the sparking would have come
    I think so too. Haye gave away the first 2 for me, but he was winning the rounds prior to the stoppage and that was likely in a semi injured form already IMO. A healthy Haye knocks Bellew cold. Will probably happen in the rematch. Haye is high on a trilogy because it now generates money and he knows it isn't the hardest work in the world. He knew he was beating Bellew at less than 100%, he even thought he could do it completely injured. He would be very confident in a rematch.

Thread Information