Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canelo's gameplan against Floyd.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo's gameplan against Floyd.

What do you think would have happened if Canelo had chosen to brawl against Floyd?

Personally, I don't think the result would have been any different. As we saw later in the Lara fight, Canelo is terrible at cutting off the ring, and is flat-footed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo's gameplan against Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    What do you think would have happened if Canelo had chosen to brawl against Floyd?

Personally, I don't think the result would have been any different. As we saw later in the Lara fight, Canelo is terrible at cutting off the ring, and is flat-footed.
    I don't get why people keep saying "had chosen to", in reality it was Floyd who didn't ALLOW HIM TO, his defense was too tight and Canelo didn't know how to deal, so he just got beat up, it wasn't that he abandoned his gameplan it was that he wasn't good enough to execute it, plain and simple

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

I don't get why people keep saying "had chosen to", in reality it was Floyd who didn't ALLOW HIM TO, his defense was too tight and Canelo didn't know how to deal, so he just got beat up, it wasn't that he abandoned his gameplan it was that he wasn't good enough to execute it, plain and simple
    Floyd is great at making his opponents fight his fight.

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really thought Canelo would win this and stayed up all night in the dream that he would be too big and strong. Floyd fought his best fight which was hit and not get hurt, unlike his approach to Cotto where he traded, and Canelo could do nothing to get to Floyd. I was very disappointed in Saul.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

Floyd is great at making his opponents fight his fight.
    Diddo.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did think Canelo would at least put a hurtin on Floyd but Floyd made Canelo look like a ten year old flailing at the wind. I think the frustration level just overwhelmed him. He would probably look a little better against Floyd at this stage of his career but I wouldn't expect the end result to be different. God that was a horrible fight.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't recall a gameplan beyond 'Stand back and let him pot shot me all night'. Boring fight.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not having a game plan and not being allowed to utilise one are too different things Miles... Like most other people, he was baffled when he was actually stood in front of Floyd.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Not having a game plan and not being allowed to utilise one are too different things Miles... Like most other people, he was baffled when he was actually stood in front of Floyd.
    So, what was the gameplan? I saw a method from the likes of Cotto, Maidana, and even Hatton against Mayweather, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what Canelo was trying to do.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he actually went in with the idea of out boxing Floyd which was ludicrous but that's what it looked like the first few rounds. Your right, he should have tried to muscle Floyd like Maidaina and Cotto did with some success but Floyd still would have whooped him. Wasn't that the CJ Ross night, I remember one of the judges gave a draw or something ridiculous but I'm not sure who it was.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has trouble with slick fighters and isn't a complete or multidimensional fighter. Canelo fights best as a counter puncher boxing off his back foot and Floyd took that gameplan from him in the first minute. I also feel that in addition to his shortcomings in skill, Canelo also froze on the big stage, staring across the ring at the best in the business.

The guy to beat Floyd will have to catch him on the right night and have multiple dimensions to win. Castillo was the much larger and physically superior/stronger fighter, but also had the ability to stay busy, jab effectively and discipline to attack Floyd's body while ignoring what was coming back. Not many, if any, guys can duplicate that fight and those dimensions to the level necessary to beat Floyd.

Manny is ridiculously fast, is awkward and hits very hard. It won't be enough to beat Floyd, who will adjust at the halfway point and take over the rest of the way. Maybe, slim chance, Manny cones in hyped up while Floyd gets old and he ekes out a decision. Can't see any other way Manny wins that one...

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think they expected Floyd's legs to be shit. They looked terrible the fight before so they partially had reason to suspect his legs to be crap. I think that is why Pac is eager to fight now, because Floyd's legs looked shit against Maidana. Perhaps that is a trap Floyd pulls.

It seemed Canelo wanted to make Floyd initiate and he would counter. I think they expected Floyd to be quick but not so quick. Like when Floyd would throw the right people often throw the left hook which Floyd easily ducks and exits right. It appeared they knew they couldn't catch him with the hook because repeatedly he skipped the hook and tried the uppercut as Floyd was ducked but he was too slow on this.

It has to be questioned how much of his attack was stolen simply by making weight. Similar to Cottos weight vs Manny and how Cotto never again faught so low, Saul has never gone so low again either. And there is almost certainly a reason neither fighter has gone so low again. It doesn't work for their bodies and they felt that.

In the end when the game plan won't solve all problems spacial awareness will. That's where Floyd wins, if you are here he knows you will do X, if you are there he knows you will do Y, and if you don't initiate he will sucker you into the situations he wants. That's why people stop moving their hands, they realize he knows what they are going to do and they will miss and get hit. Nobody wants to get hit by a guy that they can't hit.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I don't recall a gameplan beyond 'Stand back and let him pot shot me all night'. Boring fight.
    That's not the way I remember that fight. In Canelo's own words, "I couldn't find him.". He was trying hard, but Floyd was never where he was supposed to be, plus as you already pointed out, Canelo was eating a steady flow of punches.
    An embarrassing nite for Canelo and an easy nite for Floyd.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is a great combination puncher but he has very heavy feet and doesn't close distance well at all.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Canelo has trouble with slick fighters
    Yeah but you can say the same about any fighter.

I think people are way too hard on Canelo. His last four fights were Trout, Floyd, Angulo and Lara. So that's Floyd, Angulo (a gimme to get his confidence back), and two southpaw runners/slicksters. Nobody looks good against Floyd, nobody looks good against Lara, and the only guy who looked good vs Trout was Lara. Trout and Lara are two guys nobody wants to fight, and Canelo took them both on and got the job done.

It's always funny to hear people talk about fighting Floyd like the guys he fought had the choice of how the fight was going to go, and somehow chose wrong. The truth is nobody gets to fight the fights they want to against Floyd. Castillo got to fight his a lot in their first fight and Maidana did too, but other than that Floyd has dictated the terms in all his bouts.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Thread Information