Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Warren tells Calzaghe to focus

Frank Warren has played down rumours of a possible July showdown between Joe Calzaghe and Bernard Hopkins - and says the Welshman must focus on his April 7 clash with Peter Manfredo Jnr first.

Calzaghe is targeting a fight in America this summer with the backing of TV giants HBO.

But Warren says the only way it will happen is with an impressive display against Contender runner up Manfredo Jnr.

Calzaghe defends his WBO and Ring Super-Middleweight titles against the American at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, on Easter weekend. read more...

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Warren tells Calzaghe to focus

Was a Calzaghe: Hopkins fight really on the cards?!

Wont believe it until I see, especially as far as Warren is concerned!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Was a Calzaghe: Hopkins fight really on the cards?!

Wont believe it until I see, especially as far as Warren is concerned!
    well both hopkins and calzaghe have been on about it this year many times, hopkins im not certain about, hes changed his stroy so many times about it, its him id worry more about for the fight not happening than warren, even tho warren is a cunt - if this fight happens and calzaghe wins, he knows thats mega bucks for him.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know the fight has been suggested over the years.

I shall rephrase my former posting. Is a Calzaghe: Hopkins fight really on the cards??

Again its really quite difficult to believe. Its all rumours and ghosts. Hopkins is fighting everyone these days. And now he is fighting Calzaghe after pricing himself out a few years back...

Yep, I believe it all!

And as for Warren making the fight happen?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins - Calzaghe will not happen. Bernard was insulted by the offers made by Warren made last time there were negotiations, Hopkins wanted a 60/40 split of a £10 million purse and Warren flat out refused. First he said he didn't want to fight outside Cardiff, then Hopkins said he'd be prepared to come to Cardiff, then Warren said that he wanted a 50/50 split even though Calzaghe was pretty much a non-entity in the USA at that point, and after all the bullshitting Hopkins decided against it.

If Howard Eastman, who had about 100 fans, can negotiate a fight with Hopkins then there's no fucking excuse why Warren can't.

I think Calzaghe will fight Manfredo, then end up fighting Clinton Woods before retiring. I don't think he'll ever face the big boys of the USA until he does a Hatton and leave Frank Warren.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the basis of the article is sound, that Calzaghe can't go into any fight thinking that he will come out an easy winner, that is quite simply a recipe for disaster. As for a fight with Hopkins, I don't think that's the kind of bait that he should be looking at, instead, he should be focussing on someone much closer to their prime.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He cant go in to the fight thinking hes an automatice winner but at the same time, Warren telling him he needs to be spectacular will result in the pathetic "showmanship" he pittifully tried agaisnt Bika

I expected him to beat Lacy and wanted him to after what Lacy did to Reid, when he beat Lacy I warmed to him and sat down to watch the fight with my girlfriend.

After telling her how good he is, the prick starts all that shit, it made me cringe and I felt embarrased to watch it

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah the Lacy fight went to his head big time and i also cringed when he got in the ring and started giving it the big-un,swinging his arms about and playing up to the camera while his name was announced.
    Just wasn't the Joe we know imo.
    Calzaghe is most effective when he knuckles down,works behind his jab and does the basics well instead of looking for the early KO to impress the US viewers.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    Yeah the Lacy fight went to his head big time and i also cringed when he got in the ring and started giving it the big-un,swinging his arms about and playing up to the camera while his name was announced.
    Calzaghe is most effective when he knuckles down,works behind his jab and does the basics well instead of looking for the early KO to impress the US viewers.
    I don't know Joe has always been a showman in the ring. I'm really annoyed by his choosing of a sacrifical lamb for his next opponent and even kind of want him to lose as a punishment but I know that once he gets in the ring I'll go all goosebumpley and start cheering for him anyway.

When Joe is on form it's hard not to support, he's the most exciting boxer in Britain by a mile imo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    I was very dissapointed when he started pulling that shit in the ring with bika; i could see maybe why he done it with lacy, some much shit about him coming from the US fans his 'lack of respect' but i really hope to fuck he doesnt pull any crap in the manfredo fight - you said it best mate just impress by his skills, if he batters manfredo he will take some stick for fighting such an 'easy apponent' but people might be quietly impressed if he does it with great skill - but if he batters him while showboating and pulling stunts in there i think the level of hate for him in the us will rise a lot and manfredo will be walking away with respect for taking such a hard fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alfonzo Gomez from the contender will be next for Joe, lets not forget Gomez beat Manfredo, if Joe wins against Manfredo then we can all findout who's the better men. Gomez or Calzaghe!
    Super Middleweight also acknowledge as Kessler's Kingdom when Calzaghe has retire

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez are bum fighter, Mora are king :P

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saying disagree. I are say Gomez was smaller too much that Clazaghe is.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jangeorg
    Alfonzo Gomez from the contender will be next for Joe, lets not forget Gomez beat Manfredo, if Joe wins against Manfredo then we can all findout who's the better men. Gomez or Calzaghe!
    If kessler could fight someone like manfredo, a fairly well known american, someone who, should he beat woul raise his stock a hell of a lot in the states, he would take it and everyone of you kessler fans would agree with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was at the Bika fight and lost a lot of respect for Joe that night. That and the choice of oppo since Lacy.

His 'No average Joe' documentary was embarassing aswell. Him and his dad whinging about not getting the breaks and him being Britains number one yada yada.

Said it before, he is padding his record because he wants to break Joe Louis' defence record, so don't expect to see him in with anyone remotely dangerous in his next few fights

Shame, cos he can fight, he just needs to prove it.

Thread Information