Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warren's Calzaghe foe frustration(see how many have been lined up!)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Warren's Calzaghe foe frustration(see how many have been lined up!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4932648.stm

Promoter Frank Warren has spoken of his trouble in getting a suitable opponent for Joe Calzaghe's big 8 July show at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.
    "Wherever we have turned guys have then gone and been beaten," said Warren.

"We've got two American-based boxers lined up, I'll sit down and talk with Joe and we will make a decision soon."

An announcement on the challenger for the 34-year-old Welshman's WBO and IBF super middleweight titles has been delayed three times already.

"We looked at Allan Green and he took a fight and went down in the third round, so he went by the wayside," said Warren.

"Librado Andrade didn't fancy it, Mikkel Kessler was supposed to be fighting in June but he's pulled something so he's out.

"Yusef Mack is another one we've looked at but he got beat over the weekend.

"We talked to the guy who beat Howard Eastman [Edison Miranda] and his management said yes, but then he turned down the fight."
    Maybe people are thinking twice after seeing my last performance against Jeff Lacy

Joe Calzaghe

Calzaghe was philosophical about the delay, saying: "I've been through it before.

"Maybe people are thinking twice after seeing my last performance against Jeff Lacy.

"People have been asking for too much money, but that's part and parcel of boxing."

Assuming Calzaghe wins on 8 July, Warren is planning a super-fight for the Newbridge man in the autumn.

The winners of Antonio Tarver's clash with Bernard Hopkins and Jermaine Taylor's fight with Ronald 'Winky' Wright are likely to be in the mix.

At the July Millennium Stadium bout, Danny Williams' heavyweight rematch against Matt Skelton and Amir Khan's next bout will be on the undercard.

WBU cruiserweight champion Enzo Maccarinelli is also expected to fight for the interim WBO title and Gary Lockett is set to meet Ryan Rhodes for the WBU middleweight crown.

Bradley Pryce makes his first Commonwealth light middleweight defence, Tony Doherty faces Taz Jones for the Celtic welterweight title, and Gavin Rees challenges Scot Martin Watson for the Celtic lightweight crown.

Warren has confirmed that more than 13,000 tickets have already been sold for the Millennium Stadium show.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Warren's Calzaghe foe frustration(see how many have been lined up!)

beat whoever in this upcoming bout and then go and fight kessler in the fall, that would please me the most...

calzaghe: kessler is a fight that makes serious career developments its not just about big money against ageing men....

the winner of tarver: hopkins?? what if hopkins wins as im hoping he will.....thats a fight that WONT come off....

just fight Kessler.....

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and then follow up with another big money fight....stay busy, fight 3 times a year....

the big fights will come along...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope he fights kessler somewhere down the line.Then moves up and ko's Tarver well hopefully anyway!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

exacly, i just want calzaghe to realise his prime is now and its limited and to make the most of it....a fight with kessler would be healthy as a ready warm up (did i say it so casually! :P) for a big money fight with either winky/ taylor or hopkins/ tarver....

but who he shall fight in the meantime is as always a mystery....hope it gets resolved soon enough...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its gonna be manfredo aint it face it guys

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanhatton
    its gonna be manfredo aint it face it guys
    well, at this stage it needs to be someone....

im a little dissapointed with all this actually....a date is made, a venue revealed and yet there is no opponent....

excuses can be made, but something has gone absurdly wrong here....and still we have day after day with no concrete news....

its become silly....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'VE STOPPED CARING... I LOVE MANFREDO BUT IF HE FIGHTS HIM; WHICH HE MAY; IT WILL BE RIDICULOUS. MANFREDO WANTS @ LEAST 1 MIL... MANFREDO IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE CALIBER OF CALZAGE.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by "PRIDE OF PROVIDENCE"
    I'VE STOPPED CARING... I LOVE MANFREDO BUT IF HE FIGHTS HIM; WHICH HE MAY; IT WILL BE RIDICULOUS. MANFREDO WANTS @ LEAST 1 MIL... MANFREDO IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE CALIBER OF CALZAGE.
    manfredo is not a worthy opponent....but for a victory hungry public in afew weeks....

heck, feed him to joe and then just move on....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those names up there's recent fights show why Calzaghe wanted them. Maybe Calzaghe will fight Rico Hoye or Glen Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    beat whoever in this upcoming bout and then go and fight kessler in the fall, that would please me the most...

calzaghe: kessler is a fight that makes serious career developments its not just about big money against ageing men....

the winner of tarver: hopkins?? what if hopkins wins as im hoping he will.....thats a fight that WONT come off....

just fight Kessler.....
    sometimes if you win too good you run the risk of losing out on fights...the Kessler one seemed promising but with the injury there really is no telling how long it will take for him to come back...
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I keep saying, It WILL be GJ. Fight is as good as signed!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera
    i hope you are right....fight is very close, unbelievable that no opponent is announced yet....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't believe JC's luck!! Look at the list! I think Glen Johnson would be a good fight,but career wise,I'd like to see him out a beating on Kessler and Beyer,take those belts and cement his legacy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera
    i hope you are right....fight is very close, unbelievable that no opponent is announced yet....

From what I heard the announcement will be made first thing next week, as soon as the weight is negotiated.

Thread Information