Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: By this read...sounds like he's leaning towards Winky...so...how would you vote?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscar talks Margarito, Hatton, Mayweather or Winky for last shot.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oscar talks Margarito, Hatton, Mayweather or Winky for last shot.

Oscar De La Hoya on Margarito, Hatton, Mayweather or Winky for Future Fight
    By DHB Observer (May 19, 2006)

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Chee/Chee0519d06.htm

Thursday, Oscar De La Hoya in a press conference to promoting Saturday's WBC super featherweight title fight between Marco Antonio Barerra and Rocky Juarez, Oscar spoke on possible fights.

On the subject of Ricky Hatton and Antonio Margarito, De La Hoya ruled them out. No incentives to fight them.

"Let's say I beat him. What do you gain?" said Oscar.

De La Hoya is considering fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. or possibly Winky Wright.

De La Hoya said, "I would have to sit down with (Mayweather Sr.) and discuss it. He's not content with his son right now. Obviously blood is thicker than water. That's very understandable."

The incentive to fight Winky Wright is strong within De La Hoya. De La Hoya noted because Winky beat Tito Trinidad and Shane Mosley, two fighters De la Hoya lost to in the past.

"That's like killing two birds with one stone," Oscar told the media.

Sounds like Oscar might be takin the lean over to Winky's side of the boat...

I just don't believe that my bwoy could beat my other bwoy.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oscar talks Margarito, Hatton, Mayweather or Winky for last shot.

yes, it seems oscar is leaning towards a fight with winky....ive no qualms with that....

would be a heck of a fight....

anyway, i think PBF needs to do more in his own weight divsions before yet stepping up again to even try and take on oscar....

if a winky fight comes off i will be pleased....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    yes, it seems oscar is leaning towards a fight with winky....ive no qualms with that....

anyway, i think PBF needs to do more in his own weight divsions before yet stepping up again to even try and take on oscar....

Agreed...but I truly believe that Oscar will be biting off more than he can chew with Winky.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

Agreed...but I truly believe that Oscar will be biting off more than he can chew with Winky.
    that could well be true, ive never been comfortable seeing oscar up at middleweight and winky is no run of the mill fighter....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

we'll see.....I think Oscar is motivated again..and that means bad news for winky....It could be 2 losses in a row for winky....Having Manny in taylor's corner changed my thoughts on the upcoming fight...
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu

we'll see.....I think Oscar is motivated again..and that means bad news for winky....It could be 2 losses in a row for winky....Having Manny in taylor's corner changed my thoughts on the upcoming fight...
    yeah, the fact that its oscars last fight will always keep it interesting as a spectacle....

my only qualms are that though oscar might be motivated, he has not looked all that comfortable at middleweight, wheras it fits on winky like a cosy winter mitten....

would be an interesting fight, but i'd have to favour winky....

winky is a different breed to mayorga...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky would give Oscar trouble 7 days a week, plus Winky's a natural middleweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by atomic bull
    Winky would give Oscar trouble 7 days a week, plus Winky's a natural middleweight.
    Agree Winky by easy UD or late TKO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think it would be a easy fight for Winky at all. Oscar is focused and i think it will be close but i do still favour Winky slightly for the extra size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Winky would eat ODLH alive at 154...

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he should fight Hatton and Margarito in the same night, instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the reason he wants to fight Winky is becasue he beat Tito, and Oscar couldn't get a rematch with Tito. If Oscar wins it might settle some kind of thing in head because he got beat by Tito. I don't know. I wouldn't totaly lean toward Winky winning this, especially if its going to be Oscars last fight you know he is going to come 110% prepared. I would love to see it though. But le me add not as much as Oscar facing PBF though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just got through downloading and then watching the fight a couple years ago between Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Sturm. I agreed with Lampley, Merchant and Roy Jones jr. that Sturm deserved to win a close decision by a 1 to 3 point margin. The punch stats spelled it out clearly and the body language of the 2 fighters also suggested that Sturm was in very good shape at the end of the fight, a little better than Oscar. It was a home country (rather than town) decision. If the fight had taken place in Germany, Sturm would have won easily.

Anyway, I brought up this fight mainly because Sturm's style is similar to that of Winky Wright in several ways. They both throw a lot of jabs, keep their hands held high in front of their face and their elbows in to protect their body. Sturm is naturally a bit bigger than Wright but his punching power is no greater. That's why I would favor Wright over De La Hoya. However, let's see what happens between Taylor and Wright 1st.

De La Hoya - Margarito would be an excellent fight. Margarito is younger but not really any faster and their power is comparable. They match up well and there would be plenty of action with a good variety of punches thrown, little if any clinching and no running. I think De La Hoya could win a close decision.

De La Hoya - Hatton will never happen. Hatton is not big enough or strong enough to deal with Oscar's power or much longer reach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mokele
    I just got through downloading and then watching the fight a couple years ago between Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Sturm. I agreed with Lampley, Merchant and Roy Jones jr. that Sturm deserved to win a close decision by a 1 to 3 point margin. The punch stats spelled it out clearly and the body language of the 2 fighters also suggested that Sturm was in very good shape at the end of the fight, a little better than Oscar. It was a home country (rather than town) decision. If the fight had taken place in Germany, Sturm would have won easily.

Anyway, I brought up this fight mainly because Sturm's style is similar to that of Winky Wright in several ways. They both throw a lot of jabs, keep their hands held high in front of their face and their elbows in to protect their body. Sturm is naturally a bit bigger than Wright but his punching power is no greater. That's why I would favor Wright over De La Hoya. However, let's see what happens between Taylor and Wright 1st.

De La Hoya - Margarito would be an excellent fight. Margarito is younger but not really any faster and their power is comparable. They match up well and there would be plenty of action with a good variety of punches thrown, little if any clinching and no running. I think De La Hoya could win a close decision.

De La Hoya - Hatton will never happen. Hatton is not big enough or strong enough to deal with Oscar's power or much longer reach.

good points.

I'm a massive Oscar fan...& now an even bigger fan of Sturm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar better not mess with Winky, Floyd, or even if Hatton was big enough, he shouldn't mess with him.

Thread Information