Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who Thinks Meldrick Taylor Was Screwed

This got started in the middle of another thread..I say he got screwed and deserved to finish the few seconds left of the fight of his life he was winning...It was a Heartbreaking robbery

Your Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who Thinks Meldrick Taylor Was Screwed

Quote Originally Posted by jtrock
    This got started in the middle of another thread..I say he got screwed and deserved to finish the few seconds left of the fight of his life he was winning...It was a Heartbreaking robbery

Your Thoughts

one of the worst, most crooked nights of boxing ever
    richard steele KNEW the fight was almost over and if he cant tell when a round is almost over or hear the 10 second notification when it goes off then he has no buisness being a ref

1 important question..................................was don king promoting chavez at the time of that fight?
    because that would explain a whole lot if thats the case

biggest robbery of all time imo

that night was a black eye on the sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you look at thge accumulative damage of Meldrick if time wasn't a factor that fight would have been stopped I think the whole controversy is that it was fight with 5 seconds left.

Ask yourself if there was a minute left in that round would you have stopped it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    When you look at thge accumulative damage of Meldrick if time wasn't a factor that fight would have been stopped I think the whole controversy is that it was fight with 5 seconds left.

Ask yourself if there was a minute left in that round would you have stopped it?
    Thats exactly what the controversery is!!!!I cant tell you if I would have stopped it with a minute left....If Chavez engaged him and he couldnt defend himself and wasnt punching back than yes Starr his life is woth more...5 seconds left if anybody in the enire history of the human race deserved the benefit of the doubt it was Meldrick Taylor.He was a proud Philly fighter that won the war of attricition over the legendary Chavez, He payed the ultimate price in that fight he was never the same and his Medal Of Honor should have been his hard fought victory...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor got screwed alright, by Lou Duva, who told him he needed to go out and win the last round

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Time should be disregarded unless the fight was over completely. Taylor was unfit to continue, he was clearly out of it. When a referee looks into a fighter's eyes and sees a guy who doesn't know where he is, it's the referee's responsibility to protect that fighter from his own ighting spirt. Taylor was out of it, I don't think anyone can argue that he wasn't. The rules don't take time into account. They do take fighter safety into account, and very bad things have happened in 10 seconds. I have absolutely no problem with the stoppage. Richard Steele has been in the ring a hell of a lot longer then anyone here and when he looks into a fighter's eyes, he knows if they are there are not. I won't second guess him, because if I was second guessing him, it would be because he let a concussed fighter who was clearly out of it go in for more against one of the hardest punchers in the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRKO... Ill Mitch is a "phony rapper...who do not write.. phony rapper..who do not excite"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fighting so hard he EARNED the right to stand and take those last 3 seconds of punishment

it was a ridiculas stoppage i think Steele had money on the fight ....(reichard is a great ref if it wasnt for that fight)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, I wans't around when this fight happened (I was a little kid) and when I watched this fight for the first time i knew nuthin about either guy and I thought that meldrick was done and dusted, and the fight was stopped correctly, f*ck the time, and f*ck anyone who thinks it was the worng decision, julio still had time to inflict irreversible punishment, considering how punch drunk meldrick is today, richard steele made one of the bravest and compassionate calls ever by a referee.

If steele had money on the fight he'd have stopped it when JCC was introuble earlier in the fight, I don't wanna hear that crap.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was one of those what if situations. Say the ref let it go on, JCC was right behind him ready to pounce on Taylor. He had enough time to get one last shot in that could of done permanent damage. IMO its a fine line, refs cant pay to much attention to how much time is left in a situation like that. I dont think Taylor got screwed as much as JCC got EXTREMELY lucky.

yoitsdan I agree with you 100%.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    Ok, I wans't around when this fight happened (I was a little kid) and when I watched this fight for the first time i knew nuthin about either guy and I thought that meldrick was done and dusted, and the fight was stopped correctly, f*ck the time, and f*ck anyone who thinks it was the worng decision, julio still had time to inflict irreversible punishment, considering how punch drunk meldrick is today, richard steele made one of the bravest and compassionate calls ever by a referee.

If steele had money on the fight he'd have stopped it when JCC was introuble earlier in the fight, I don't wanna hear that crap.
    Well, had the fight gone on he might have had something to show for being beaten retarded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    It was one of those what if situations. Say the ref let it go on, JCC was right behind him ready to pounce on Taylor. He had enough time to get one last shot in that could of done permanent damage. IMO its a fine line, refs cant pay to much attention to how much time is left in a situation like that. I dont think Taylor got screwed as much as JCC got EXTREMELY lucky.

yoitsdan I agree with you 100%.
    Bad at cha dude, I agree with u too bro, JCC pretty much hit the lotto that night, meldrick took him to school, but if your done your done.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckwopat
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan

Well, had the fight gone on he might have had something to show for being beaten retarded.
    SC. That is just not right. There is no trinket out there worth that.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved Meldrick in the ring. It broke my heart when he lost that match. All that being said I hate that Steele stopped the fight and I hate Duva for telling Meldrick he needed the round and for yelling at him from the ropes when steele was counting but I can't falt Steele for stopping it. By the rules it was the correct action, but it wasn't right. Meldrick deserved to be the first man to beat JCC.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    I loved Meldrick in the ring. It broke my heart when he lost that match. All that being said I hate that Steele stopped the fight and I hate Duva for telling Meldrick he needed the round and for yelling at him from the ropes when steele was counting but I can't falt Steele for stopping it. By the rules it was the correct action, but it wasn't right. Meldrick deserved to be the first man to beat JCC.
    Actually Juan Laporte did.

Thread Information