Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why Bobby Chacon was 'Bad to the Bone'

http://doghouseboxing.com/Harrison/Amato_092206.htm

Arturo Gatti was probably the warrior of this era. Some of his battles, win or lose are becoming legendary. Rewind back to early 1970's to mid 80's. There was a boxer, a champion who was Gatti before there was a Gatti. If anyone recalls Bobby "Schoolboy" Chacon they have to remember his blood and guts wars with Rafael "Bazooka" Limon and Cornelius Boza Edwards. He was a fine boxer but in many cases his heart over-ruled his head and he decided to slug instead of box. It may have cost Bobby some fights but the fans sure got their money's worth. They got a lot of highlight clip memories too.

Bobby was born in 1951 and turned professional in 1972. He became an instant sensation winning his first 19 fights. He fought fifteen times in 1972 alone! The streak continued into 1973. Along the way he defeated world title challengers Tury "The Fury" Pineda and Frankie Crawford. He also stopped former champion Jesus "Chucho" Castillo. Only fourteen months into his pro career Bobby was matched with the great Ruben Olivares. "Rockabye" Ruben took the "Schoolboy" to school that night halting Bobby in the ninth round.

To Chacon's credit he bounced right back with four straight wins and into a showdown with hard punching cross-town rival Danny "Little Red" Lopez. Danny's older brother Ernie had twice challenged the outstanding Jose Napoles for
    the welterweight title. Now little brother Danny appeared ready for stardom. The Lopez Express was derailed this night by Chacon. Bobby boxed beautifully and stopped a dead game but beaten Lopez in round nine. Lopez would recover and end up having a nice run as featherweight champion. Why isn't he in the International Boxing Hall Of Fame?

Chacon was back and he was matched with former WBA junior lightweight champion Alfredo Marcano for the vacant WBC featherweight title. Bobby won his first title by stopping the tough Marcano in nine. He would then halt Jesus Estrada in two to retain his crown. Next up, a rematch with Ruben Olivares. For all the hype it was a disappointing affair. Bobby reportedly had trouble making weight. He came in weak and was overwhelmed in two rounds by Ruben.

Bobby was now an ex-champion. Two fights later he dropped a decision to Rafael Limon. Bobby then reeled off nine wins leading him to a third match with Olivares. This time Bobby walked off with the verdict. In Chacon's very next fight though he lost an upset decision to rugged Arturo Leon. Chacon rebounded again defeating Ignacio Campos, Augie Pantellas, Gerald Hayes and Shig Fukuyama. He then fought a technical draw with Limon and defeated Jose Torres. In November of 1979 Bobby was set to challenge the dangerous Alexis Arguello for the WBC junior lightweight title. Bobby suffered a bad cut and was forced out in the seventh.

Chacon's career was far from over. A 1980 decision win over Limon awarded him with another shot at the WBC 130 pound title. This time against the clever Cornelius Boza Edwards. Boza was a talented bloke and after a savage battle, Edwards emerged as the winner in round fourteen. Bobby would go on to win five in a row including a rematch victory over Leon. In the meantime Edwards lost the title to Rolando Navarette who in turn would lose it to Rafael Limon. The stage was now set for Chacon-Limon IV. It was Ring Magazine's 1982 Fight Of The Year and deservingly so. Bobby was down twice but through sheer guts battled back to floor Limon in the last round and garner a fifteen round decision. Bobby had now won titles in two weight classes.

Now there was some unfinished business with Mr. Edwards. After another rousing battle, this time Bobby walked off with a unanimous decision. Next up, a shot at Ray " Boom Boom " Mancini and the WBA lightweight title. It turned out to be a rather one sided contest. Ray proved to be too strong for Bobby and the bout was mercifully halted in round three. It would be last professional victory of Ray's career.

Believe it or not Bobby would win five fights through 1985 beating the likes of Freddie Roach, ex-champion, Arturo Frias and Rafael Solis. He was relieved of his WBC junior lightweight title for failing to come to terms to defend against Hector " Macho " Camacho. The Macho Man would stop Limon to win the vacated title.

Bobby didn't fight again until 1987 and had to get off the canvas three times and rally to stop Martin Guevara. In 1988 he won a ten rounder over Bobby Jones to wrap up his illustrious career. He won 59 of 67 fights and scored 47 knockouts. He was stopped five times. Twice by Olivares, once each by Arguello, Edwards and Mancini. He holds victories over seven other men who held a world title. Olivares, Castillo, Lopez, Marcano, Limon, Edwards and Frias.

He had the heart of a lion and a champion...

This guy was involved in some of the greatest fights I have ever seen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Bobby Chacon was 'Bad to the Bone'

Bobby was an incoming, forward charging, hook throwing warrior who had no "quit" in his DNA. It cost him terribly, but his war with Boza Edwards and two classics with Limon mae him my very favotrite fighter of all time. I wrote an article about his entitled< The Apparition of Bobby Chacon" which you can pick of google. It is my own personal favorite because it came from my heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see him regularly when I attend local fights. He always gets called into the ring before the big fights. I actually sat next to him at the last fight I went to a couple of months ago. He is a very happy guy, but it is sad.

Great guy, but you can definitely see the effects of too many punches.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tedsares
    Bobby was an incoming, forward charging, hook throwing warrior who had no "quit" in his DNA. It cost him terribly, but his war with Boza Edwards and two classics with Limon mae him my very favotrite fighter of all time. I wrote an article about his entitled< The Apparition of Bobby Chacon" which you can pick of google. It is my own personal favorite because it came from my heart.
    Bobby Chacon is a living legend here in L.A. and a true warrior hes loved by many and is always willing to share some laughs with you.
    And your right it cost him terribly but I can assure you if he had the chance, he'd do it allober again.
    I'm gonna check out your article thanks for sharing & Welcome to the forum.
    Cool Click.

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame
    I see him regularly when I attend local fights. He always gets called into the ring before the big fights. I actually sat next to him at the last fight I went to a couple of months ago. He is a very happy guy, but it is sad.

Great guy, but you can definitely see the effects of too many punches.
    You from So. Cal? Where at?
    To be honest with you I've had the privlege/honor like you to meet and talk to Bobby, I personally don't think it's sad. He did what he loved doing the most which was to box (Well that and family he loved the most) but he was gladiator in that ring win, loose or draw he'd give it his all never giving up. Same reason I don't think it's sad to see Ali. What I do think is sad is the fact that the own Boxing Comissions don't get together and as a group get money together to help out some of these old vets with medication, care programs and most importantly rehab most of them turn to alcohol, drugs and shet like that. To me thats the sad part about it that once they are no longer in the ring sadly they are forgotten 'till they pass.

I'm not hacking at your comment about it being sad, cause it can defenitely be seen that way I just choose not to, I like to think of it in the sense like people who pass in the line of duty, they passed doing something they loved. Bobby loves the sport to this day the sad part is sometimes the sport is not there to love you back.

Thread Information