Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Machine at the gym

I was looking into improving my hand speed, and a girl that used to be a trainer recommended that on my cardio only days that I add this machine (sorry don't know what it's called). The machine is like an exercise bike but you use your arms on the pedals. Do you guys think this machine is actually beneficial as far as hand speed goes? I don't mind adding it anyway, cause I can mix up my cardio more, but................it's kinda weird cause I only see really old people on it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Machine at the gym

If it's the machine a think then I don't see how the hell it is going to increase your hand speed.

Sorry but the idea that it will improve your hand speed is very mickey mouse.

If it is one of these:

Then ignore her... because it won't do a thing...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    If it's the machine a think then I don't see how the hell it is going to increase your hand speed.

Sorry but the idea that it will improve your hand speed is very mickey mouse.

If it is one of these:

Then ignore her... because it won't do a thing...
    it's not that one, imagine if on that machine that the pedals were where the handgrips are by the console, you are just pedalling with your arms.

it would be more like one of these on a table
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmm, it's sort of like a speed ball that requires no timing or range.

Endurance maybe but not really hand speed.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC thanks for your opinion, I value it very highly Adam. BTW my body fat % has dropped almost 10% now in four months, thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My advice to increase your handspeed is to just keep working at it and work at it some more..
    set some particular time aside from everything else to do things like ..
    when shadow boxing really put in the effort to better your technique and speed and really push the punches out fast and snap them out..
    also i do this thing.. not a clue what its called bt you get an elasticated ribbon thing...put it around your shoulders or just under on your back and hold the ends of it in your hands and throw strait shots like shadow boxing but just strait shots mixing it up with foot work and bobbing weaving etc in front of the mirror..
    speedball will help a great deal make sure to set time aside and get that down and keep working at it.. step it up from time to time instead of getting comfortable at a certain speed...

all the while when you box and sparr or whathave you you could try wearing 16 ounce gloves and really put in the effort to make you punches faster and better... of course with the heavy gloves and all the effort in forcing yourself to pick up the pace of your handspeed and workout... its likely you'll tire alot quicker, but in the long run it'll benefit you and you'll see the changes it will make :P
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BodyHead
    My advice to increase your handspeed is to just keep working at it and work at it some more..
    when shadow boxing really put in the effort to better your technique and speed and really push the punches out fast and snap them out..
    also i do this thing.. not a clue what its called bt you get an elasticated ribbon thing...put it around your shoulders or just under on your back and hold the ends of it in your hands and throw strait shots like shadow boxing but just strait shots mixing it up with foot work and bobbing weaving etc in front of the mirror..
    speedball will help a great deal make sure to set time aside and get that down and keep working at it.. step it up from time to time instead of getting comfortable at a certain speed...

all the while when you box and sparr or whathave you you could try wearing 16 ounce gloves and really put in the effort to make you punches faster and better... of course with the heavy gloves and all the effort in forcing yourself to pick up the pace of your handspeed and workout... its likely you'll tire alot quicker, but in the long run it'll benefit you and you'll see the changes it will make :P
    Peace
    cool thanks bro!!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep

CC thanks for your opinion, I value it very highly Adam. BTW my body fat % has dropped almost 10% now in four months, thanks for your help.
    thanks

too 10% or by 10%? either way that's great... CC keep it up

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks

I wish to 10%, lol I have gone from 29.9% to 20.1%, yeah I'm a fat fucker, but at least I'm doing something about it!!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peace
    Some good advice there, cc

What I've found works for hand speed is throwing hard shots FAST! hand speed is a combination of technique and the right muscle fibres.

It's all very well throwing thousands of fast shots as you can but that won't develop as much speed because there's no resistance to stimulate the fast twitch muscle fibres into developing and when you punch soft you are not using as many muscles as when you punch realisticly.

Plyometrics will help all over, a correct punch is more than just arms... a lot more, you're whole body needs to be explosive... i swear by sprints... great for leg strength and power, explosiveness is what you want.

Then there's also repetition, like BHB said... muscle memory will help you be able to effortlessly throw fast shots and combos, shadow box focusing on perfect form and technique... shoulder and hip rotation etc.

Ever wondered why you can walk effortlessly for miles and miles with out feeling the slightest bit of fatigue on your legs? your muscle fibres are developed specifically for that through repetition, they remember that movement and know exactly how to contract.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peace

What I've found works for hand speed is throwing hard shots FAST! hand speed is a combination of technique and the right muscle fibres.

It's all very well throwing thousands of fast shots as you can but that won't develop as much speed because there's no resistance to stimulate the fast twitch muscle fibres into developing and when you punch soft you are not using as many muscles as when you punch realisticly.

Plyometrics will help all over, a correct punch is more than just arms... a lot more, you're whole body needs to be explosive... i swear by sprints... great for leg strength and power, explosiveness is what you want.

Then there's also repetition, like BHB said... muscle memory will help you be able to effortlessly throw fast shots and combos, shadow box focusing on perfect form and technique... shoulder and hip rotation etc.

Ever wondered why you can walk effortlessly for miles and miles with out feeling the slightest bit of fatigue on your legs? your muscle fibres are developed specifically for that through repetition, they remember that movement and know exactly how to contract.
    Hey can you guys recemmend some other good plyometrics (I will try and throw some sprints in) that are good for boxing specifically?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks

I wish to 10%, lol I have gone from 29.9% to 20.1%, yeah I'm a fat f*****, but at least I'm doing something about it!!
    before I start I'll make this clear:
    I mean this in a good way...

I bet you look a lot thinner being 20 instead of 30%, but I bet you look at yourself even at 20% and still look (like I said no disresct, this is ment to be encouraging... ) fat... but you are only about 5% away from looking at yourself in the mirror and starting to see leaness coming from... so keep it up... basically what I am saying is that the difference between 2-% and 15% will look a lot bigger than the difference between 20 and 30

Keep it up.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peace

Hey can you guys recemmend some other good plyometrics (I will try and throw some sprints in) that are good for boxing specifically?
    Military press ups, PROPER star jumps, burpess.

When you do your other Press ups and weights if you do any, try and do the movement with momentum, you should almost be leaving the floor on your regular press ups etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peace

Military press ups, PROPER star jumps, burpess.

When you do your other Press ups and weights if you do any, try and do the movement with momentum, you should almost be leaving the floor on your regular press ups etc.
    ye bro floor exercises like thems is what i think of as real mens excercizes... man the simple stuff is the hardest..
    i hit a badass circuit on tuesday nights and its about 20 sessions of three minutes working on all sorts of shit .. bag work move on ... squats, squat thrusts, burpees, running, sit ups, step ups, theres a section where you pick a floor excersixe and since bieng recomended on here i swear by bycycle crunches! love em! sit ups while peeps stand on your feet and they hold a heavy big infront so you sit up and throw a combo!... man its bad as hell...
    personally even though i do crazy ass workouts.. which off topic my health is slowed down in progress by a stupid lifestyle.. but after all the workouts theres nothing better then sparring.. if your in with someone where you now your outmatched and your gona have to work hard or get beaten on theres no better motivation :P lol every round is killer!!
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds sort of similar to our fitness sessions...

I love doing bycle crunch style exercises...

Thread Information