Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British fighters have TRUE GRIT!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default British fighters have TRUE GRIT!

Actually, I am a bit partial to Brit fighters. They always come to fight and, except for Danny, always seem to be fit and ready. I have felt this way ever since Alan Minter beat Sugar Ray Seales and I lost a bundle of $$$. From that point on, I was always weary and leery about Brits in the ring. "Ragmuffin" proved this caution to be correct. Billy Schwer and Brian Hughes are personal friends as well. Call me unique but props to British fighters. Even Dave Boy Green demonstrated true grit..and that's the quality I think is evident here. TRUE GRIT!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: British fighters have TRUE GRIT!

By our very Nature we are a Hard Nation

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    By our very Nature we are a Hard Nation
    Yep we have the best hooligans in the world for sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How Benn and Eubank got through some of their fights I'll never know..

In Benn-Eubank 1, Eubank suffered a split in his tongue almost an inch long and swallowed pints of blood during the fight, had his gut wrenched during the fight, and absorbed knockout punches to the chin and head from the most explosive puncher in the business. He found himself in a hospital bed, doubled up in pain with stitched tongue, punctured gut, dislocated jaw and terribly bruised ribs. There were also traces of blood in his urine for about a week.

Benn didn't have it quite so bad that night (despite the pain of losing), but had to just 3 hours and 15 mins to lose six and a half pounds before the weigh-in, he was doing shadow boxing in a steam room with two jumpers on and two coats and three pairs of jeans and couldn't even eat after weighing in (which was the day of the fight) because he was so fatigued, and his left eye was completely closed after the fight and the actual white of the eye was still bruised and red going into the new year (and he could never see as well out of that eye again).

In Eubank-Watson II, Eubank took a horrific one-sided beatdown from a man he claims had "superhuman strength and abnormal stamina" on the night, Watson had got himself hypnotised and really did look unbeatable that night, putting everything into every punch and keeping up the pace of a lightweight, Eubank had to be wheeled out of the arena in a wheelchair and couldn't speak - it took him over a month to recover.

But those are nothing to compare to the state Nigel Benn was in after the McClellan fight.

People don't realise that Benn himself collapsed on the way back to the locker room through exhaustion, then stayed in hospital with fractures to ribs, hands, nose and jaw, urinated blood for days, and had an x-ray that showed a shadow on the brain. He had to be lifted into baths for a while. He was fucked.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the above fights were seriously Brutal affairs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DELIGHTFUL, BLOKES!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barry McGuigan was a hard barsted.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it should be called awesome britain enough of this great buisness

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mcguigan was a great fighter and a great champ then he had to fight a desert rat in a desert,mid afternoon in 110 degrees temperatures with the worlds palest skin and NO sun block

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Respect Ted for reminding us about "Ragamuffin" In my opinion the best performance by a British boxer abroad when beating Don "Cobra" Curry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup

Mcguigan was a great fighter and a great champ then he had to fight a desert rat in a desert,mid afternoon in 110 degrees temperatures with the worlds palest skin and NO sun block
    That fight had my mum in tears, Mcguigan seemed indestrucable in those days, and he still made a really good go of it. A paddy fighting in the middle of a desert, thats big bollocks.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis cant
    Respect Ted for reminding us about "Ragamuffin" In my opinion the best performance by a British boxer abroad when beating Don "Cobra" Curry
    Thanks, mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fook the hyphens and fook all politically correct rump swabs! As for Africans, you do have to be careful in distinguishing each country. For example, Ghana fighters may refelct a different style than South Africans. Nigerians may be different from those hailing from Guyana. In my opinion, most fighters from the African continent fight like Ike Quartey, Joshua Clottey, Kaseem Ouma, Jacob "Baby Jake" Matlala, Ben Takcie, Brian Mitchell, or Auzumha Nelson in varying degrees. They tend to stick to you like glue and maintain a high punch volume. This has always been my observation. They also tend to avoid the brawls in which other fighters engage. They tend to fight smart. IMO Kid Akeem was my favorite but he did engage in brutal brawls..and arguably it cost him his life.

I posted this on another site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    Fook the hyphens and fook all politically correct rump swabs! As for Africans, you do have to be careful in distinguishing each country. For example, Ghana fighters may refelct a different style than South Africans. Nigerians may be different from those hailing from Guyana. In my opinion, most fighters from the African continent fight like Ike Quartey, Joshua Clottey, Kaseem Ouma, Jacob "Baby Jake" Matlala, Ben Takcie, Brian Mitchell, or Auzumha Nelson in varying degrees. They tend to stick to you like glue and maintain a high punch volume. This has always been my observation. They also tend to avoid the brawls in which other fighters engage. They tend to fight smart. IMO Kid Akeem was my favorite but he did engage in brutal brawls..and arguably it cost him his life.

I posted this on another site.
    I fucking love African fighters ! they are hard nosed tough SOB's all those you mentioned were fantastic fighters. who love to come at you and keep the pressure on . true grit for sure ! enjoyed the reads !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was Frank Bruno showing True Grit when he made the sign of the cross about 300 times during the introductions of the Tyson fight, praying to some god that he wouldn't get KTFO.

Thread Information