Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Want to Start/ Advice/ Problem (?) 18yr old

Ok guys I just made a long very informative thread and my computer decided to freeze up and I had to restart it and lost the whole thread before I could post it. So, I'm going to just cut right to the chase.

Info on me: 18years old, 5'6", 147lbs. I lift weights every other day usually, but my routine is focused on "functional" compound movements (flat bench, incline bench, deadlift, squat, weighted chin ups, weighted pullups, weighted dips, leg lifts, abdominal planks, weighted crunches, decline board twisting crunches,etc).

My dad, uncles, and grandfather are all ex-fighters. All of my dads friends for the most part are ex-fighters and ex-pro fighters. My dads freind who is an ex pro wants to train me. I've tried boxing before but only did it for a couple weeks because I was quickly overtrained. I wouldgo to the gym basically everyday and every heavy bag workout was high intensity and I'd also run in teh mornings. To sum it up, I know I overtrained because I started losing muscle mass, I was tired and groggy all the time, my sex drive was almost like nothing, I started gaining fat around the hip/thigh area, etc.

I also at this time was on a low carb diet so that probably contributed to the overtraining as well being that I probably had little to no liver and muscle glycogen.

I'm right handed, but honestly, standing unorthodox feels way more natural for me. I can move better and generate better punches. I'm pretty aggressive when i want to be so I guess that could be considered a good thing as well.

Basically I want to start boxing, but I dont want to end up overtraining. What advice can you give me about anything? ie the weightlifting, the overtraining, the switchstance, any other tips, too old to start?, etc etc etc.

Here's a few pics of me now. BTW I eat every 1-3 hrs and eat mainly clean foods. I take in approximately 3000 calories a day. My carb/prot/fat ratios now are approx 40/40/20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Want to Start/Advice/Problem (?) 18yr old

I would tell you get a good trainer. He knows better than you do, and he gets no benefit from you overtraining. I can see you kind of have the same problem as I did, even at 6'3", 225. You're pretty slender in the body despite being pretty big in the arms and chest. I had to do weighted core excercises that actually build mass, not just cut you up.

Having some core mass helps with withstanding a body attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the reply man.

Yeah I'm sure he's a pretty good trainer being that he was a pro-fighter himself. But I do know that he is one of those trainers that believe weightlifting slows you down.

I know a lot of boxers lift weights, you can just tell from their physiques. Also I have seen video clips of Mike Tyson squatting, benching, and doing military press.

It's funny that how in boxing our body attributes are considered a "problem" because in the bodybuilding world a slim cut up torso/waist is what the goal is...but this isnt bodybuilding obviously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by c10d
    Thanks for the reply man.

Yeah I'm sure he's a pretty good trainer being that he was a pro-fighter himself. But I do know that he is one of those trainers that believe weightlifting slows you down.

I know a lot of boxers lift weights, you can just tell from their physiques. Also I have seen video clips of Mike Tyson squatting, benching, and doing military press.

It's funny that how in boxing our body attributes are considered a "problem" because in the bodybuilding world a slim cut up torso/waist is what the goal is...but this isnt bodybuilding obviously.
    Hate to say it, but your trainer is right. If you're just learning fundamental skills, or are in training for an actual fight, weight lifting will slow you down. The boxers that lift usually do so when they're not actually "in traiing", or if they're moving up a weight class. A lot of boxers you would look at and think they must lift, don't. I don't know if Tyson lifted later in his career, but he never did when Cus D'Amato was alive. He was 5'9" and 200 pounds of muscle when Cus found him at 14, having never lifted a weight. And you're right. Goals are very different in bodybuilding than in boxing. Ronnie Coleman would take a man-sized ass whipping in a boxing ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Want to Start/ Advice/ Problem (?) 18yr old

My personal opinion:

don't lift weights with your goal being to get "bigger" or more "ripped." Lift weights to get STRONGER.

I'm living proof that stength training with weights is beneficial. I basically doubled the power in my left arm by working out on a simple weights and pulley system I hung from my basement rafters.

But, weights and strength training is only supplemental. It should be buffered...the majority of your training... by BOXING...on a bag, working mitts, shadow boxing, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Want to Start/ Advice/ Problem (?) 18yr old

Ok guys so for now should I Just drop the weight training altogether and only work on pushups (vary shoulder width, elevated feet, etc), crunches, pullups, sprints, jogging, jump rope, as far as conditioning?

Then on gym days go meet with my trainer and hit the heavy bag, speed bag, etc. I remember last time I gave boxing a try he'd start me with jumping rope for 2-3 rounds, shadow box about 3 rounds, then i'd go to the heavy bag for about 4 rounds (tired the shit out of me and I think thats what made me overtrain since it was actually more of an anaerobic workout since it was high intensity), then i'd do speed bag, then at the end do some pushups and crunches ont he decline board. I didnt hang around long enough I guess to get to the mit work and sparring, the first time.

As far as diet I'm going to take a guess at high calorie (I eat about 3,000cals a day right now) mostly clean diet, eat every 2-3 hrs, high carb (complex but simple quick digesting carbs ie dextrose, sugars for right after a workout to restore glycogen), high protein, moderate fat?

I can't do a "low fat" diet, it takes a toll on my energy levels and testosterone.

Thread Information