Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default throwing up during sparring

Evey time i spar i always throw up. It is probablly linked to a gag reflex condition or it could be my mouthpiece or nerves during sparring. ive been to a doctor and he said theres nothing you can really do. This is a hugeee barrier for me to continue fighitng untill i know what the problem is. If anyone has any suggestions or has expierenced this please let me know i would greatly aprectiate it

The Heaving Hammer-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: throwing up during sparring

Haha, The Heaving Hammer.

I gotta tell that I had to cut a little off the my mouthpiece, if I didn't I'd feel like somebody was sticking a few finger in my throat, even more so with a couple punches hang off it. You can cut a little off the back of it, not too much because it's there to protect you.

You don't feel sick when you're exercising do you?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i did cut my mouthpiece really short i was reccomended buying orthondontist custom mouthpiece. but when i exercise im fine. i think it may have to do with nerves somewhat mayb with adrenaline

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never heard of it. Do you feel really nervous when you're in the ring?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I usually feel normal sometimes i'll get tense but nothing to drastic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly don't know what to tell you. It could be something else. Does this only happen in hard session? Besides that I don't know what to say.

Try to relax some and loosen up. Make sure you're breathing okay and fighting a smart fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should really try to focus on your body and why it is happening. It sounds like you've already thought a lot about it so it's kind of stupid for me to suggest to go back and have think again. But no one on here can know exactly what your feeling before sparring or during, or even right before you throw up...
    You've suggested maybe it's nerves?
    For that i'd suggest trying to relax as someone else suggested. But make a very concious effort of relaxing. Look on the net for some relaxation techniques you can use just before sparring to calm your nerves. Their is a lot of things you can do to relax your body and mind and really take the worrying sick feeling out of your head. Some times before I go in sparring I feel like I have to take a wizz. I always pee before I go to the gym so I know it's just nerves, but your body can react in some very strange ways according to whats going on in your brain. So my suggestion would be too look for some ways to really settle your mind down and that could really help. If you really want to get serious with that idea, do a search in limewire or bearshare for "hypnosis" or "self help" or "relaxation" and their will be tonnes of MP3's that you can listen to that'll help train your mind to relax and overcome any fear-blocks that build up in your mind about sparring (or anything else for that matter). An even FURTHER step would be a book called "Unlimited Power" by Anthony Robbins. A few techniques in that book can help your mind overcome antyhing.

On a physical level though, maybe you should spa in a different manner to which you are now. If you are going in with strangers and that makes you nervous a little,,, try convincing a friend to spa with you, or your trainier (if you trust them). It doesn't have to get serious or physical, it just has to get you feeling very comfortable with moving around the ring, having punches thrown at you, moving backwards and forwards and throwing your own punches. The punches don't even need to be hard, they just need to get your mind used to and comfortable with that environement/situation.

I don't know your story but if you're not that experienced and your trainer is sending you in the ring with experienced people who intend on knocking turds out of you for the whole session, then god you SHOULD be feeling sick. Their's been a few discussions on ways traininers use sparring in their training.. Some trainers just throw whoever in with whoever and let them go to town, and learn the hard whether they are good or not... I personally think that's a useless way or training people unless they BOTH are really wanting to go pro or take their game to the next big level!
    Then theirs the trainers that see each sparring session as a time to work on your weaknesses and skills and NOT to just knock people out. This manner you can still put whoever in with whoever, but the intention is to LEARN and not HURT.
    Unless your quite experienced and confident, it IS hard to spa with someone you don't know enough to trust and you do worry what could happen.. It's pure instinct to worry (until you feel confident/comfortable). So if this might be the case, FIND someone that you TRUST to spa with. And get comfortable with them until your confidence is up enough, until your ready to get in and start sparring with other people. You'll know when it's time because you'll WANT to get in and spa with a new person. It'll be exciting to you!
    Just if you are throwing up and feeling sick every time you spa, it's obviously not very productive or enjoyable, so try something different and see if that helps??

I have no idea from a doctors perspective, but hopefully some of my advice can help you. I don't know many diseases or illnesses that ONLY come into effect and make you throw up if your a boxer and your heading into a sparring session.

Look after yourself, Good luck and hope you feel better!
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think its a lack of confidence, commonly called bottle. Funnily enougth happens a lot , in Boxing for beginners. Youll get over it, in your situation it seems your not brave enougth. Bollocks youre brave getting in there feeling like that once the confidence improves, it will become a thing of the past good luck.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Use what god gives yeah , If you puke, puke on your opponents shoes, when he looks down throw an uppercut !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to get a bit nauseous before sparring but that went away with experience. It's possible that it's nerves.

Here's a bit of a weird question. What do you typically eat prior to going to the gym, especially on sparring days? How soon or not soon do you eat before sparring? The reason I'm asking is that I noticed with myself many years ago that if I consumed anything with a high acid content prior to strenuous activity (especially competing where I was nervous) I'd come really close to throwing up. I mean really really close.

Maybe diet may be at least part of the issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I use to throw up when I first started wrestling in highschool...but after your conditioning improves and you get the "jitters" out...you'll be good to go.

Thread Information