Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Reflections on Roy Jones vs Anthony Hanshaw

I finally caught this fight yesterday and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hanshaw threw himself at Jones from the opening bell in the same manner Badi Ajamu did but unlike Ajamu whose attempts to actually win lasted less than three minutes Hanshaw mainted that pressure throughout virtually the whole fight.

Jones coped with the pressure well and was never hurt even though his rope a dope antics seemed foolhardy at times, certainly Peter Manfredo got stopped for far less.

Hanshaw was game but I have to be honest, the first I ever heard of him was a few months back when Jones Jr first announced his plans to fight him.

Until his fight with Jones I had never seen him fight, nor I guess had probably that many people on here.

So where does that place Jones' peformance?

Having never seen Hanshaw before and not recognising any names on his record I for one have no way of really assessing that performance.

What did you guys make of it? Was Hanshaw the dangerous undefeated cat that Jones would have us believe or was he a handpicked limited fighter chosen because of his exciting come forward style but lack of boxing craft, a similar opponent maybe to Vinny Maddalone, a gutsy but limited come forward brawler chosen for Evander Holyfield to destroy?

As I've said I really don't know so I'm asking this question to those of you better aquainted with Hanshaw.

Was Jones' win something of substance, a sign that he still has the tools or was he little more than a Badi Ajamu with slightly more ambition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Reflections on Roy Jones vs Anthony Hanshaw

I think Hanshaw was picked because his record made the win look a lot better than it actually was. But Jones still showed that he can still win a belt a 175.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hanshaw is a Shobox alum (for Bilbo and the rest of you Brits, that's a weekly or bi-weekly boxing program/event on Showtime showing young prospects fight--Kendal Holt might be the biggest/best name to come out of that show recently). I think he won the little super middleweight tournament they put on a few months ago. I only saw a couple of his fights there, and he seemed pretty good though obviously not great or elite. He's a young guy and could end up as a top 10 fighter at some point but I don't see him winning any titles.

I think Roy's crazy to even mention getting back in the ring with Johnson, especially if he's planning on doing this rope-a-dope shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen Hanshaw on Shobox just like the guy above me said he did.

He impressed me in his first fight, his second and third fights were ok, I think he could be a great super middleweight one day. Roy said Anthony would be the guy he passes the torch to when he's gone.

It's actually not really Hanshaw's game to bumrush someone, he outboxes them with speed and combinations, but I guess he knew it would be impossible for him to do that with Roy so...he rushed him.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for the info guys, he certainly didn't come just for a payday and gave Jones everything he had.

I am worried about Jones tactics these days though.

A fight with Calzaghe could be ugly. Up against the ropes in a British ring with a British ref in a fight against Calzaghe is not a place any fighter ever wants to be.....

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a good win for Jones. Hanshaw was a good opponent who came to fight. He's certainly a lot better fighter than Peter Manfredo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well..He did show signs of greatness.. Very cool fight

Things i consider though and at least ponder on is that one.. Hanshaw has been and probably will go back to bieng a supermiddleweight..

And although i love roy.. He done hanshaw and hurt him badly in the 11th i believe.. Which was sweet and suprised me.. But he had 40 seconds to go and didnt attempt to finish him whole heartedly..

A stoppage win may have done alot for roy..

He is no longer the same fighter though undoubtedly..Watching one of my fave Roy fights ever last night bieng Roy vs Reggie Johnson.. Reggie never been stopped or really hurt..

Had him down once in the first and put him down and really hurt him and the end of the third with the sharpest fastest left hook right hand counter combo i have ever or may ever see..

and then i see the guy that has all the skills but isnt as young or hungry and theres something just not the same in his equation now.. to box is to box..But he wont press as he used to..He lets it come to him far too often
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The moment Roy steps up he's going to lay on the ropes, pull faces fire back a token left hook to the body or two and hope he doesnt get blown out.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah..man roy surprised me with the KD...but that early on rope-a-dope shit had me worried that he was going to get kayoed...but maybe that's what he been working on, feeling as if everyopponent he faces from now on is going to rush him and try to land the big shot early..

and as far as him not going for the stoppage he said he wanted to get the rounds in because he hadn't fought in a year....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought overall it was an entertaining fight. Jones still has pretty good hand speed and skills but spent alot of time on the ropes. I wonder if he still has the legs? I guess we'll see if he continues.
    http://www.freewebs.com/neutral-corner/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he really wants to be the to Light Heavyweight again the only guy he should go after is Clinton Woods. He the #1 ranked fighter and Jones can not beat Tarver or Johnson imo. He can beat Woods though, at least he has a good chance. I have a good feeling he will be calling out the winner of B-Hop vs. Wright though, just watch.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    If he really wants to be the to Light Heavyweight again the only guy he should go after is Clinton Woods. He the #1 ranked fighter and Jones can not beat Tarver or Johnson imo. He can beat Woods though, at least he has a good chance. I have a good feeling he will be calling out the winner of B-Hop vs. Wright though, just watch.
    not likely because he all ready stated that he doesn't want to fight bhop because hopkins plays too much...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Thread Information