Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lacy expects kessler to beat Calzaghe.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lacy expects kessler to beat Calzaghe.

http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article12951.html

July 24, 2007

JEFF LACY: DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK
    By Darren Nichols

BT: We've got Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy here on BoxingTalk. Jeff, what's the latest with you? How are you doing? "I'm doing good. I just went through therapy, trying to get this shoulder running. Look for me sometime later this year."

BT: What did you think about the fight tonight?

JL: I thought the fight was very competitive. I thought the fight was much closer than the way they scored the bout. I think it should have been a draw.

BT: One scored it 117-111, that was three rounds away from a shut-out. That means they pretty much gave every close round to Bernard. How did you score it, do you think it was closer to a draw?

JL: Like I said, it was closer to draw. If they were going to announce a winner, there was no way they could announce a clear winner of that fight. Hopkins was doing a lot of headbutting, a lot of dirty fighting. He's a really dirty fighter. Winky is a technical boxer. The referee also kept Winky from getting into his game plan. He allowed Bernard Hopkins to hold.

BT: The next time we see you in the ring, will it be at 168?

JL: Most definitely. I'm going to see where this weight falls.

BT: Is 168 where you feel most comfortable?

JL: I feel great at 168. I tore my rotator cuff, I've picked up a lot of muscle in therapy. I'm going to have a three month training camp. Look for me around November or December, towards the end of the year. I want to see where the weight falls.

BT: Is there an opponent you have in mind for that fight?

JL: There are a few fighters out there calling me out. Peter Manfredo, that might be a great fight that we might look at coming back in November.

BT: There's a big fight coming up across the pond with Kessler and Calzaghe. How do you like that fight?

JL: I'm going to have to lean toward Kessler. He's more of a puncher, I think Calzaghe is more of a hype type puncher. He needs to put his punches together, and I don't think he's going to be able to do that against a taller, lankier opponent, against Kessler.

BT: Will it be a tune-up fight the next time you get back in the ring?

JL: Definitely, I would love a tune-up fight. There are a couple of guys out there calling me out. I'm going to see how everything goes when I lace the gloves back up. Hopefully, it might be Peter Manfredo, who knows.

Lacy obviously hasnt seen the Veit fight, now beofre the Kessler fans jump on that comment, i dont mean there on the same level, but they are big tall orthodox fighters, and Calzaghe had an easy time with that sort of style, i feel the only styles Calzaghe has problems with are good clever counter punchers (Hopkins ) I just dont see Kessler beating Calzaghe. But each to there own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lacy expects kessler to beat Calzaghe.

After the rough night he spent with Calzaghe it's a possibility that he just want to see Joe get beat up. Then if he looked good in ahis return fight, he could try to stet his sites on Mikkel. Then again, Kessler's a very good fighter so maybe he really beleives this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article12951.html

July 24, 2007

JEFF LACY: DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK
    By Darren Nichols

BT: We've got Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy here on BoxingTalk. Jeff, what's the latest with you? How are you doing? "I'm doing good. I just went through therapy, trying to get this shoulder running. Look for me sometime later this year."

BT: What did you think about the fight tonight?

JL: I thought the fight was very competitive. I thought the fight was much closer than the way they scored the bout. I think it should have been a draw.

BT: One scored it 117-111, that was three rounds away from a shut-out. That means they pretty much gave every close round to Bernard. How did you score it, do you think it was closer to a draw?

JL: Like I said, it was closer to draw. If they were going to announce a winner, there was no way they could announce a clear winner of that fight. Hopkins was doing a lot of headbutting, a lot of dirty fighting. He's a really dirty fighter. Winky is a technical boxer. The referee also kept Winky from getting into his game plan. He allowed Bernard Hopkins to hold.

BT: The next time we see you in the ring, will it be at 168?

JL: Most definitely. I'm going to see where this weight falls.

BT: Is 168 where you feel most comfortable?

JL: I feel great at 168. I tore my rotator cuff, I've picked up a lot of muscle in therapy. I'm going to have a three month training camp. Look for me around November or December, towards the end of the year. I want to see where the weight falls.

BT: Is there an opponent you have in mind for that fight?

JL: There are a few fighters out there calling me out. Peter Manfredo, that might be a great fight that we might look at coming back in November.

BT: There's a big fight coming up across the pond with Kessler and Calzaghe. How do you like that fight?

JL: I'm going to have to lean toward Kessler. He's more of a puncher, I think Calzaghe is more of a hype type puncher. He needs to put his punches together, and I don't think he's going to be able to do that against a taller, lankier opponent, against Kessler.

BT: Will it be a tune-up fight the next time you get back in the ring?

JL: Definitely, I would love a tune-up fight. There are a couple of guys out there calling me out. I'm going to see how everything goes when I lace the gloves back up. Hopefully, it might be Peter Manfredo, who knows.

Lacy obviously hasnt seen the Veit fight, now beofre the Kessler fans jump on that comment, i dont mean there on the same level, but they are big tall orthodox fighters, and Calzaghe had an easy time with that sort of style, i feel the only styles Calzaghe has problems with are good clever counter punchers (Hopkins ) I just dont see Kessler beating Calzaghe. But each to there own.
    You do not know if Lacy has seen the Veit fight - but why on earth comparing Veit and Kessler?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well if you read how Jeff comes up with his conclusion on his decision, he uses the fact that Kessler is lankier and taller?? So thats why i mentioned Veit, because if Jeff thinks he will struggle with a taller opponent he obviously hasnt seen the Veit fight, also Kessler is not that much bigger they both have the same reach and only an inch difference in height.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joe can handle Kessler's best shots and not wither, he will beat Kessler by decision. If his hand breaks during the fight, then he probably won't win. It all depends on those two factors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read where Beyer said Kessler is the stongest fighter in the supermiddleweight division bar none. Doesn't mean Kessler can't be outboxed, which makes this fight even more interesting.
    http://www.freewebs.com/neutral-corner/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sexydarin
    If Joe can handle Kessler's best shots and not wither, he will beat Kessler by decision. If his hand breaks during the fight, then he probably won't win. It all depends on those two factors.
    If his hand weas to break, that could become an issue. If he can take Kesslers shots-- Kessler has to take his shots to. This is a 2 way street, injuries (hand,etc..) can go both way. And Joe won't be standing there lett'n Kessler hit him without firing shots & testing his metal at the same time.

I have a feeling that the outcome of this fight will be decided by more factors than those 2. Just a little more complexed than if Joe breaks his hand & he can take some of Kesslers shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ghoster
    I read where Beyer said Kessler is the stongest fighter in the supermiddleweight division bar none. Doesn't mean Kessler can't be outboxed, which makes this fight even more interesting.

Beyer has never shared a ring with Calzaghe, so i take that with a pinch of salt, i think stylewise i see no problems for Joe at all i have seen Kessler's fights with Sicao, Beyer, Mundine and Andrade, i see nothing there that will cause Joe a problem, Kessler comes to fight, the only factors which give Mikkel a chance is that Joe might have passed his best days, his last two fights are fights that are hard to judge that possibility, because of the opponents and the outcome( Bika was a spoiler and i think Joe took the fight very lightly, Manfredo stopped to early to know what Joe had over 12 rounds). the second factor the hands, if the left goes to the extent he cant use it, that could be a huge problem, but hopefully they will be fine, considering he was sparring Enzo prior to the Braithwaite fight gives me confidence that he should be fine, but who knows, but all things being equal i see Joe winning a comfortable UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i see Joe winning a comfortable UD.
    I agree i recon Calzaghe takes a UD.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find it funny when people question Calzaghe's beard

It's always been one of his best assets.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster

I dunno, i thought his beard looked pretty stupid in the Manfredo fight .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by danchar123

hahahahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by danchar123

Corker!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Well if you read how Jeff comes up with his conclusion on his decision, he uses the fact that Kessler is lankier and taller?? So thats why i mentioned Veit, because if Jeff thinks he will struggle with a taller opponent he obviously hasnt seen the Veit fight, also Kessler is not that much bigger they both have the same reach and only an inch difference in height.
    Agreed Joe never really has struggled with taller opponent although thinking about he had few problems with Richie Woodhall.

Thread Information